Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:58 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,542,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Totally in agreement-uncalled for.
Make that two of us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
How about home made versions of some fast food favorites? Use egg white or egg substitutes and using low fat or lo-cal ingredients. Breakfast croissant sandwhiches, breakfast bagels, egg mc muffin type sandwhiches, whole wheat silver dollar pancakes with turkey breakfast suasage. These are pretty easy to make ahead of time and keep in the fridge for a day or two. Except the croissant sandwhiches, which can get soggy, so they get packed seperately to be fixed up once I'm at work.
And I'm cheap too, I will keep those little plastic trays microwave meals come in and reuse them to make stuff at home and freeze it to take to work. Very handy.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Thanks SO much for all the great ideas. I'm going to print them all out, and let him choose a few for me to make and freeze so he can taste them warmed up and see which would be better.

Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
I make pancakes up and freeze them individually (because they stick together!), and they are great for popping in the microwave for a minute or so! Also hot oatmeal taken in a Thermos is good. And then there's this weird recipe that I have for Breakfast Cookies that my mother used to make me when I was a little bus rider. Sound gross, but they are actually quite good...(I don't put the salt in, but it's in the original recipe.., and I have tried with turkey bacon, but it was VERY salty.)

Breakfast Cookies:
=======================
2/3 Cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 Cup sugar
1 1/2 cups oats
1 egg
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 Teaspoon vanilla
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3/4 Cup flour
6 bacon strips, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 Teaspoon soda
. Preparation:
Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla. Combine flour, soda and salt;
add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and wheat germ. Fold in
cheese and bacon. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes

Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,083,460 times
I put oatmeal in my coffee cup. I can even add a little extra water or milk and practically drink it, eating without a spoon.

Hardboiling eggs the night before or while I'm getting ready is easy, too.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:24 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Considering that his employer does not pay him to eat, I would say that eating at work is inappropriate unless he is an hourly employee and is "off the clock" or unless your husband takes his lunch break time to eat. (Which would mean, then that he would not eat at lunch).

I realize that 545 am is early, however, there are many, many, MANY people out there who go to work considerably earlier than that. The secret would be to have your husband get up an hour earlier so that you can cook him a nice, healthy breakfast before he leaves.

That would be the best solution.

20yrsinBranson
In defense of OP's DH:

Alot of employers prefer that staff eats on the run while working rather than taking their federally mandated breaks (some are SUPPOSED to be on the clock).

Every single pharmacy I've ever worked in, with ONE exception had an unwritten tradition of not taking any break other than lunch. They always say: we don't take breaks here. So I would be the ODD BALL insisting I needed a break to actually EAT once before lunch & once after.

Some of us actually need to consume something substantial between meals or we'll pass out. I don't think we should have a doctor's note to get a federally mandated break.

Then again, some employers are very flexible. If one were take a break before lunch, perhaps it could be anytime that it could be managed.

On topic: there is the instant oatmeal that can be used. Mushy but somewhat palatable. When I ate it, I would put one or two unflavored packets with one flavored packet. That cut down on the sugar & gave extra protien value in it's place, on a per packet value.

If the eggs get tough when frozen, they could just be made fresh, if it isn't a hassle for you. Keep in mind that one egg is about 7 grams of protien. 3 eggs would be a super breakfast in any form: burrito or otherwise. Maybe you could make up a bean/cheese burrito ahead of time. Freeze it, then put in fridge night before? It would probably pretty much thaw & you could insert the freshly cooked eggs & send DH on his way!

One of my favorite breakfast standbys is cooked whole grains. I buy them in bulk (in a market like Whole Foods) & cook them up & store in the fridge to use throughout the week. I guess it could be frozen but I've never ventured into that.

One thing: thinking outside the box. There are frozen entreess that can be used for breakfast in a pinch. I enjoy the... I think its... Stouffers turkey, mashed potatoes & gravy. It has a great carb/protein ratio if you're into the Zone thing. 20 grams each. Perfect for my metabolism. Just a thought! The fish patty with mac is yummy too but it stinks up the lunch room.... So I would always cook it at home & eat it cold: yum (IMO)!

Kate

Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,550,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Leftover chinese food makes a fine breakfast. Especially if eaten with chopsticks.

MMmmm! We like to mix in scrambled eggs!

Kate

Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 AM

96 posts, read 380,692 times
WARNING! Breakfast burritos are a great idea BUT be sure to keep them at least halfway frozen on the way to work--do NOT heat and then transport to work. Unless kept below a certain temp (frozen) or at a constant 140 degrees, bacteria will grow and you could get sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Make your own breakfast burritos and freeze 'em. He can pop 'em in a paper towel and zap 'em. Use corn or flour tortillas and fill 'em with bacon, eggs, whatever he likes. You can freeze a week's worth at a time, and it will cost you pennies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink