Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 01:35 AM

14,775 posts, read 8,106,589 times

Advertisements

I have never shopped at Aldi's yet. And there is one within a couple of miles of my home.
But yet, I also have a Whole Foods, Krogers, Meijers and Trader Joe's closer or the same distance away.

Some people said that their produce section isn't very big or good?
A great produce section is a must have for me....because I buy a lot from that department.
I try to make it to the Farmers Market also, but sometimes don't have time....so a good Produce Dept is a must have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 06:31 AM

2,144 posts, read 1,878,970 times
They just expanded the Aldi's near me. I shop there because it is cheaper than the regular supermarket.

Ours, both before and after expansion, had a very nice produce section with individual items and packaged ones to buy. Now they have organic everything too. Grass fed beef at really low prices too. And always something interesting on special.

It all depends on the individual store. The people at mine are a ton friendlier than at the Acme or Shoprite down the road.

The problem with expansion though, is that they have to pay for the construction and decor. Prices came back higher than they were a few months ago and the store has a whole aisle of stuff now: kitchenware, toys, t-shirts, etc. There's a Walmart a mile away. I'd rather have more groceries in a grocery store.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:08 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
We are healthy eaters and have walked into Aldi's perhaps 4 times - and always walked out with nothing.

I really can't imagine the success of such a place. "Hey, we have less stuff but big boxes of it".

Maybe I'll try again in a few years. The place looks nice on the outside but when you walk in you have to think they haven't stocked it up yet (been there for years).

I guess each to his or her own...

Old 07-14-2017, 09:36 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,282,316 times
I LOVE the fact that you have to use a quarter to use their carts
and if you don't put them back, you lose your quarter

Old 07-14-2017, 09:39 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
The design tweaks are in line with the look of Aldi stores I've been in in the UK.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,099,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I LOVE the fact that you have to use a quarter to use their carts
and if you don't put them back, you lose your quarter
Path Mark had those carts with the quarter slot. Many shoppers would pass the cart to the next customer.
Do you Aldi customers ever pass the cart on to the next shopper?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:43 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Path Mark had those carts with the quarter slot. Many shoppers would pass the cart to the next customer.

ALL THE TIME.

I have actually had people hand me the cart and tell me to pass it on.

To me, the shopping cart thing is a great idea. For the customer, ALL of the carts are at the front of the store as opposed to bumping into my car or blocking parking spaces in the parking lot. Also, there is ALWAYS a cart in front of the store when you need one. For the store, there is SIGNIFICANT savings as you don't have to send employees out chasing after carts. You reduce the risk of employees getting hurt pulling a long row of carts from the parking lot. If customers walk off with the carts - and that happened a lot in the Chicago area - the local neighborhood kids would bring them back to the store for the quarter.

At my local Kroger store, I walk to the front of the store where there is rarely a cart, and then head back into the lot to find one of the many carts floating around out there.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:16 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Maybe the big shots at Aldi's will read the Food Forum at City-Data and realize building new stores would not be wise because few people will shop there..........SARC

Old 07-14-2017, 11:30 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
yummm, I'd love for them to come to PacNW. Great store. As far as you are an adult person and know how to pack your own bags.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post

Qrtr idea is phenomenal and very human nature. Where we shopped at Aldi in Nasville, there were 2 competitors across the arterial. Albertson's and something else.
You could see THEIR carts all over the places everywhere around. Aldi's - all neatly tucked in lines. Why? You got YOUR money invested into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink