Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 12:02 PM

73 posts, read 101,975 times

Advertisements

I hear that they've made improvements - but the stores years ago were dirty, produce horrible, and the frozen and canned items very sub-par. They are build one near me - and I will probably give them at least one go - but if I can't see serious changes, it will just be once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 12:06 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
They are probably ramping up to defend themselves against Lidl, which is entering the US market. These companies are not only quite good at what they do, they treat their employees WAY better than the US grocery chains. It is amazing how they can do what they do. I know my local Aldi was hiring at $13 an hour to start with full benefits and more, which is much better than the crap pay at Walmart and Target. Oh and I am in Pittsburgh, which is a pretty reasonable place to live. Not sure what the start pay would be in the larger markets.
they can afford to pay more because there are usually 2-4 people in the store at any one time. They don't cook or bake anything, there's no deli counter, and they don't bag.....it's basically the Target grocery section without all the other stuff. It's a good business model. Their chocolate is the best bang for your buck anywhere.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartiP View Post
I hear that they've made improvements - but the stores years ago were dirty, produce horrible, and the frozen and canned items very sub-par. They are build one near me - and I will probably give them at least one go - but if I can't see serious changes, it will just be once.

I used to be a sharp critic of Aldi for those reasons.

However, one day, I went into the local Jewel-Osco store for a box of saltines. Their store brand was $2.49 a box. I don't buy saltines very often but that sounded really high.

I drove down the street to Aldi where the price was $0.89. I could not taste a difference.

They have upgraded a significant number of their products and some are identical to the products of Trader Joes.

I generally don't buy their meats as they are higher than the meat that is on sale at the supermarket. Their produce can be hit or miss. With their new stores in SoCal, their produce is excellent and nder refrigeration.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Path Mark had those carts with the quarter slot. Many shoppers would pass the cart to the next customer.
Do you Aldi customers ever pass the cart on to the next shopper?
Happens regularly.

Old 07-14-2017, 03:13 PM

6 posts, read 6,154 times
They have great European chocolates!

Old 07-14-2017, 03:47 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Not in America,Americans aren't going to pay a quarter for a shopping cart

Old 07-14-2017, 04:23 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zara1234 View Post
They have great European chocolates!
Yes! They are so good for things like that! Around the holidays they also have some special items - usually sweets. They always have marzipan, which my family loves.

And they are inexpensive.

However, produce leaves much to be desired, at least in my location. They have many processed foods, mixes, canned foods etc.

In fact, too much of that for my needs.

However it's an interesting store.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:00 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not in America,Americans aren't going to pay a quarter for a shopping cart
You don't pay a quarter for a shopping cart - it's a refundable deposit for use of the cart.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:57 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
Maybe it's just the location by me but there wasn't a machine, signage, anything about a deposit for the cart (I knew that was a policy) - these carts were just all "chained" together.....

Old 07-14-2017, 06:18 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Maybe it's just the location by me but there wasn't a machine, signage, anything about a deposit for the cart (I knew that was a policy) - these carts were just all "chained" together.....
LOL, I know that you aren't trying to be but this is hilarious.

There's a small slot on the cart where you put the quarter, near where it's chained to the next cart. Putting it in the slot unchains it from the other carts. Thank you for making my night.

And don't laugh too hard at yourself when you figure this out. It's kinda cute and trust me, I have had moments like this, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink