Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 06:30 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Expect to fork out a hefty deposit for a shopping cart.
LOL

A quarter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 07:24 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Aldi is a horrible store with very unhealthy food. If you like to buy cheap, packaged foods this is the store for you. If you like high fructose corn syrup this is the store for you.

I stop there occasionally since it is small to pick up some meat or milk.

One Aldi I went to had a brand called "fit and active" but those are also filled with artificial sweeteners and preservatives.

There fresh produce (which most of my grocery lists consists of) is horrible and brown and kept at room temperature and never misted.

I do believe it is ALDI not ALDI'S??? I've heard people say "Jewels" too

Old 07-05-2009, 07:35 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
I guess it depends on your Aldi. Same w/ any store.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,418,446 times
Our Aldi's charges $.25 per cart but so does ShopRite and the others may be following suit. No biggie, we get it back when we return the cart. They do have some good prices on items but I suspect our Aldi's is smaller than others - no wine in ours either (NJ). Have noticed the Dollar Tree has quite a few good deals too on food and certain other items (aluminum pans etc) to take to picnics so no worries about not getting your bowl back etc.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Aldis is great for the basics. Some of their prepackaged food is good, some really awful. It is hit and miss. We like their snacks, granola bars and the like. yogurt good. Their "butter substitute" margarine is 1/3 the price of the brand name and tastes nearly the same. Lunchmeats are good. Produce there is generally only 1-2 good things each trip. depending on the season and what deals that got that week.
I just got a real delicious watermelon grown in the usa there for really cheap.
I have purchased tyson chicken there and really decent meat while not dirt cheap. It is comparable to other grocery stores quality and I don't have to drive to another store. Their angus beef burgers are really good.
You have to shop there and find what you like. We have saved serious $$ on grocery bills by shopping there and in the ethnic food aisles of other grocery stores - since you cannot buy everything at aldi.
I would be wary of their fish as a lot of it is product of asia. And I am leery of that personally. but you need to read the labels to check which is not. Canned soups are good.
Chocolate chip cookies taste nearly as good as chips ahoy.
Seriously, today I stopped in at a big chain around here. They had a tub of that barbecue stuff. at $7.50 for one stinking tub!! I know I have bought that brand name for like $3.99 in other stores... with prices like that, they are bandits and deserve to lose business to aldi.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:51 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
oh and their popsicles and ice cream stuff is good. They sell a local brand of pizza there that is premium brand.
Their service is OK - our aldis tend to have surley help. but generally OK. Just not overly friendly. I changed my mind about something once I got to the register and did not want to purchase it, and the clerk got really frazzled about it. It was literally one little item. They take debit cards and cash in ours. You have to buy their bags or bring your own. We bring.
I would recommend the chain.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:39 AM

31 posts, read 73,549 times
Owned by a German company called Albrecht Discounts, ALDI is a discount grocery chain that started in Germany in 1948. Decidedly no frills, the company stocks virtually all house-brand products, all offered at very low prices thanks to exclusive deals with their suppliers, many of which are big-name producers. ALDI has approximately 5,000 stores worldwide and the two Albrecht brothers, who own the company, are some of the riches men in the world.
But getting back to ALDI's business strategy, does this sound like another store that we know of? The same strategy, although executed by the US staff and tailored to their customers' tastes, is the exact same one used by Trader Joe's.
Trader Joe's, although it may be based in Southern California, is actually owned by Albrecht Discounts. The company was purchased back in 1979, long before it hit the cultural mainstream. Since that time, it has been left to turn itself into a very trendy, upscale grocery store by following a similar business plan to ALDI. TJs has low prices and a lot of store-brand products, but a different image that appeals to a different group of consumers.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:47 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaintennessee View Post
Owned by a German company called Albrecht Discounts, ALDI is a discount grocery chain that started in Germany in 1948. Decidedly no frills, the company stocks virtually all house-brand products, all offered at very low prices thanks to exclusive deals with their suppliers, many of which are big-name producers. ALDI has approximately 5,000 stores worldwide and the two Albrecht brothers, who own the company, are some of the riches men in the world.
But getting back to ALDI's business strategy, does this sound like another store that we know of? The same strategy, although executed by the US staff and tailored to their customers' tastes, is the exact same one used by Trader Joe's.
Trader Joe's, although it may be based in Southern California, is actually owned by Albrecht Discounts. The company was purchased back in 1979, long before it hit the cultural mainstream. Since that time, it has been left to turn itself into a very trendy, upscale grocery store by following a similar business plan to ALDI. TJs has low prices and a lot of store-brand products, but a different image that appeals to a different group of consumers.
Actually, they are offering a lot more upsclae merchandise at the Aldi stores including a very small imported wine/beer section.

I was working on an article with a local reporter trying to categorize the various Chicagoland grocery stores. We could not find a place for either Aldi's or Trader Joe's. And that was before I knew that they had related ownership.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Actually, they are offering a lot more upsclae merchandise at the Aldi stores including a very small imported wine/beer section.

I was working on an article with a local reporter trying to categorize the various Chicagoland grocery stores. We could not find a place for either Aldi's or Trader Joe's. And that was before I knew that they had related ownership.
upscale? not at the one near me. I see it as a direct competitor to Walmart.
The imported wine/beer we have are hardly upscale. Trader Joes offers cheap food, but indeed appeals to an more upscale consumer base.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:01 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,267,326 times
Aldi is fine.
I shop there every week.
PROS...
They have great thick & chunky salsa & blue corn totillas & pretzels.
I buy a lot of frozen fruit...that's probably my favorite item.
The can veggies are great. Canned fruit is great, too.
Milk, cream cheese all great.
Produce all great.
Great prices.
AND... if you haven't started using your own bags when shopping, this is a good place to start learning to use them. They even sell their own bags. Go GREEN folks.

CONS...
We didn't really care for their cereals, or bagged salad.
If you find something you like stock up on it, it might not be there next time you go back to shop.

They do have a money back quarantee on everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink