U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:50 PM

77 posts, read 100,812 times

Advertisements

I this something that is expected? Do they make waitress wage, is that why we should tip? My dh and I argue this point everytime, he gives a tip, I don't. I see as a mickeyd, burger king etc...we don't tip them. What are opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 02:13 PM

43,861 posts, read 27,359,960 times
The only time I go to either is when I am picking up a larger order for work. I've never even thought about leaving a tip since I didn't get 'served'.....I just picked up at the counter. I thought that was what determined a tip or not.....but I could be wrong.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:02 PM

1,220 posts, read 2,586,257 times
My niece works at Dunkin Donuts. They don't make a waitress wage and even though there is a tip cut, none of the money is given to the workers.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
My niece works at Dunkin Donuts. They don't make a waitress wage and even though there is a tip cut, none of the money is given to the workers.

Really??? Then who gets the tips? The manager, that's not right as they probally make more money then the help...I just don't see why you would tip anyway, as GloryB said, I either go through the drive thru or couter, they do not serve me while seated, so why tip?

Old 02-25-2009, 03:54 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,241,594 times
As mentioned above, if I get a large order or if I have a special drink made, I will leave a tip.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:46 PM

868 posts, read 1,608,671 times
No I absolutely do not tip at Starbucks which I go to twice a day...I see zero reason to tip. What are we getting to now if everywhere we go we feel like a tip is required. Just my personal opinion...now at restaurants and all the normal places, I am a good tipper but No to coffee shops.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
No I absolutely do not tip at Starbucks which I go to twice a day...I see zero reason to tip. What are we getting to now if everywhere we go we feel like a tip is required. Just my personal opinion...now at restaurants and all the normal places, I am a good tipper but No to coffee shops.

I agree, I always tip at restaurants for good service. I just don't see the point at dd/sb coffee shops.

Old 02-26-2009, 01:41 AM

5,559 posts, read 8,868,912 times
HELL NO!! I refuse to drop so much as a penny into those tip cups at DD and Starbucks. hell, the part timers at Starbucks likely make more money and have better benefits than me! they don't make restaurant wages, many of them make over minimum wage, so I see no need to tip them for taking me order. if I ask for a special drink (doesn't happen often since I'm pretty low maintenance), they shouldn't expect a tip for not screwing up my order since not screwing up my order is their JOB! I've worked retail jobs where I've had to do a lot more work than the average coffee shop worker (ie, haul out groceries to people's cars, lug around bags of dog food/cat litter/large electronics, help handicap customers shop, etc) and very, very, very rarely got tipped, nor expected to

Old 02-26-2009, 02:31 AM

9,258 posts, read 11,676,565 times
I tip well when tipping is proper---waiters, taxi drivers, pizza deliverers and such. But I don't tip counter help, only a sap would.

And putting that cup out there is unseemly, it's begging.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,576,496 times
No...someone working a counter and a register is not serving a table and refilling my drinks, etc. I never put money in tip jars, and employers should outlaw them. Nobody tips cashiers in grocery stores or deli/meat cutters, and they probably do more work than someone pouring a coffee at Dunkin Donuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink