Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 AM

878 posts, read 2,729,052 times

Advertisements

I am attempting to make thsi today...using lean ground beef and mashed potato then in the oven with cheese on top...any suugesstions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 11:11 AM

16,564 posts, read 17,338,211 times
Sorry to be pedantic, but using beef makes it a cottage pie.

Shepherd's pie uses lamb.

That said, I love both. Onions which have been lightly fried go in with the meat. I have also put baked beans in my pies if I'm in the mood.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:17 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,309,053 times
That's one of our cold-weather favorites. The nice thing is that it's one of those infinitely variable dishes, the kind that you can adapt to pretty much whatever you have in the house and whatever your family likes, as well as being something you can do the fast-n-easy way or in a much more elaborate method.

For the pie part, we've made shepherd's pie with either ground beef, ground lamb, or a combination of the two. Each brings a different flavor note to the result, they're all good, it's just a question of what we've got in the freezer.

We like including a cut-up onion along with the meat, sauteing it in the meat juices. Again, personal preference, use it or not depending on how you feel about onion. Ditto chopped celery.

Sometimes we make shepherd's pie with frozen peas, sometimes with frozen mixed vegetables, sometimes with frozen green beans. All work well. I've also had a shepherd's pie that included cooked barley, which was very different and very good, but I probably wouldn't cook barley specifically for that purpose. I'd use it if I had some left over from a different meal.

If we're in a hurry, we use a cream soup, usually mushroom, as the juice for the pie part. If we have time and feel like going to the extra trouble, we make a light to medium roux and add milk to make a cream gravy.

Seasonings can include any of the following according to preference: Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder if you didn't use chopped onion, celery seed if you didn't use chopped celery, thyme, savory.

The mashed potato topping is great alone, also with cheese mixed in. If you use cheese on top, I'd suggest waiting to put it on until the dish has been in the oven half an hour or so, to keep it from getting that burned-on flavor.

Shepherd's pie is great comfort food, and I think every one we make comes out a little different. But they're all delicious. Enjoy your supper tonight!

Old 03-07-2009, 11:18 AM

yes you are right...I am British so I do know that but to get enough responses from Americans...I used that name...thanks though..baked beans...that sounds so good.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,500,314 times
It's one of the big sellers at my pub. I use ground beef (that's always how my Mum made it - I'm also a Brit, by the way!) with onions, carrots, garlic, rosemary, black pepper and a hearty beef stock. Because I serve up individual pies I make the base in advance (it freezes beautifully) then put the base in a bowl, top it with garlic mashed potatoes and then with sharp grated cheddar and pop it into the microwave for two minutes to heat up everything and melt the cheese. Yummy!

Old 03-07-2009, 04:37 PM

18,938 posts, read 43,319,739 times
I have never tasted it, never even seen one.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks all for your help...it came out very good....need to make it more often.

Old 03-07-2009, 04:45 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,469,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I am attempting to make thsi today...using lean ground beef and mashed potato then in the oven with cheese on top...any suugesstions?
We call it mashed potatoe pie and make it with ground beef, onions, leftover mashed potatoes, and cheese. I had never heard of it until I married a Yankee , but I like it. As far as suggestions, I think the mashed potatoes need to be kind of dry, so that's why leftover potatoes work so well.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:08 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,207,990 times
It used to be my "birthday meal" when I was a kid. Mom always made it with ground beef and onion with a little poultry seasoning thrown in (I ignore that part), with a layer of creamed corn and niblet corn, topped with mashed potatoes. Delish!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:13 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,469,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
with a layer of creamed corn and niblet corn
Ha! I never thought of that. We both love corn. I have always just tried to duplicate my husband's mom's mashed potatoe pie because he says that's just the only way to do it . I'm going to try adding corn and see if he likes it kicked up a notch! Bam!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink