Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call your evening meal?
Dinner 27 81.82%
Supper 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 11:32 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...interesting.

I mostly say "dinner" but there are certain times it has to be "supper", like a "spaghetti supper" or, churches have "supper", or some sort of community supper.

Once in a blue moon I might use the term "supper" but a noontime, big meal, like a holiday meal, would NEVER be a "supper", that would have to be a "dinner".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:52 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I use them interchangeably.

What, exactly, makes it a dinner or supper? The time of day? The food served? I have a meal somewhere between 4 and 6 p.m., and it's the only meal I eat all day. It might be soup and sandwiches, might be cereal, might be a meat dish. It's still the only meal I eat all day, and I work all night long on a full stomach. Then I'm usually in bed by 8 a.m. and wake up sometime in the afternoon.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:23 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,779,241 times
Default Is it just a Southern Thing?

Is calling lunch, dinner, and dinner, supper just a Southern thing? I know my grandparents used to tell me, that back in the day, people refered to these as such. I'm thinking maybe it had to do with farmers and them having a large lunch(dinner) and then eating less in the evening(supper).....maby I'm way off base

Old 05-28-2010, 11:04 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Yes, it's more a rural/urban thing. Farmers that worked their own land, and their hired hands, came in at midday and had dinner, the main meal of the day. Then there was supper in the evening.

But city people with a long commute couldn't get home at midday, so they would have a smaller meal for lunch, and then their main meal in the evening. since it was considered important for the family to have that main meal together, sitting at a table, with no TV on.

Generally, in all parts of the country, the biggest meal of the day is called dinner, and the other one is called either lunch or supper, depending on what time of day it was. In Canada, the secondary meal is still called "Tea" by old-timers.

Old 05-28-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yes, it's more a rural/urban thing. Farmers that worked their own land, and their hired hands, came in at midday and had dinner, the main meal of the day. Then there was supper in the evening.

But city people with a long commute couldn't get home at midday, so they would have a smaller meal for lunch, and then their main meal in the evening. since it was considered important for the family to have that main meal together, sitting at a table, with no TV on.

Generally, in all parts of the country, the biggest meal of the day is called dinner, and the other one is called either lunch or supper, depending on what time of day it was. In Canada, the secondary meal is still called "Tea" by old-timers.
Interesting, thank you......

Old 05-28-2010, 11:55 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
I'd say it's more of a rural thing than a Southern thing. My older relatives (Midwest farmers) would use those words too.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:42 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Breakfast has always been breakfast to me. Lunch is lunch maybe a formal lunch would be called dinner. But, I've always called late meal 5 or 6 Pm Supper or dinner. Lived in south Texas all my life...

Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
In Australia for me lunch was always lunch and dinner was tea. The kids would always be told to be "home by teatime"

and that's about as "southern" as you can get LOL

Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
I don't think there is one definitive answer. I've lived in the south, the midwest, the northeast, and England, and never heard lunch referred to as "dinner". I've lived both on farms, and in cities. I never knew of a farmer to come home in the middle of the day for the "largest meal/dinner", that's a new one on me. My farmer relatives always had a small lunch, often taking a bagged lunch with them to eat on the fields. Sometimes, as a child it was my job to bring their lunch to them.

Also, the older generations in the south, midwest, and northeast often called the evening meal "supper". When I lived in England I often heard the evening meal described as "supper", too. No matter where I lived, breakfast was always breakfast, and lunch was lunch. I don't think it's always a farm/rural/regional thing, it can also be a generational thing. It can also be a social class issue. Or a cultural issue, being America, we have a lot of different cultures thrown into the mix. So I think you will get a lot of differing answers.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I don't think there is one definitive answer. I've lived in the south, the midwest, the northeast, and England, and never heard lunch referred to as "dinner". I've lived both on farms, and in cities. I never knew of a farmer to come home in the middle of the day for the "largest meal/dinner", that's a new one on me. My farmer relatives always had a small lunch, often taking a bagged lunch with them to eat on the fields. Sometimes, as a child it was my job to bring their lunch to them.

Also, the older generations in the south, midwest, and northeast often called the evening meal "supper". When I lived in England I often heard the evening meal described as "supper", too. No matter where I lived, breakfast was always breakfast, and lunch was lunch. I don't think it's always a farm/rural/regional thing, it can also be a generational thing. It can also be a social class issue. Or a cultural issue, being America, we have a lot of different cultures thrown into the mix. So I think you will get a lot of differing answers.
Yeah, I got this info from my grandparents and great grandparents who used to have and work a cotton farm outside of Fort Worth, Texas. This is how it used to be around these parts(I was thinking maybe more of a Southern thing in that I never had heard this from folks up North)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink