Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you call your evening meal?
Dinner 27 81.82%
Supper 6 18.18%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:06 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,799,822 times

Advertisements

I don't have to call it anything. My family comes quickly when they smell food cooking.

But if I invite friends, I ask them to come for dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 01:24 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,473,948 times
Dinner and supper are completely interchangeable here.

Old 09-22-2012, 02:15 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,047,309 times
Dinner. My grandma used to say supper though.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:46 AM

7,967 posts, read 7,302,848 times
I call it dinner, now, but it was always "supper" when I was growing up, and the noon meal was "dinner". We often had a hot meal at noon when we weren't in school, and everyone was home. I remember my dad coming home from work at noon for "dinner". (I remember him wearing a special large "bib" my mother made him so he wouldn't get anything on his shirt and tie when dinner was something messy, like spaghetti and meat balls). We always had "Sunday dinner" at noon on Sundays. It was the biggest meal of the week, actually. We usually had oven roasted chicken, roast pork, or roast beef prepared in the pressure cooker, mashed potatoes and gravy from scratch, etc. We'd eat this huge meal, clean up, then read the Sunday paper and funnies, watch sports on TV, or take a nap. When I hear the word "dinner", that is always what comes to mind.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:52 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,860,969 times
I call it dinner, but I remember my Mother calling it supper when I was young. I think she says dinner now? We only had one dinner/supper, and it was at 6pm. Funny that some of you had hot meals for lunch...around here it was sandwiches/chips, save for Campbell's soup/grilled cheese in the winter!

Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,927,912 times
My Mom always called evening meals supper we ate at 6pm, but we always had sunday dinner at 2 pm. I never even realized it till reading this thread! I call our evening meal dinner...

Old 09-23-2012, 08:30 AM

17,330 posts, read 32,864,197 times
For my dog, I call his meals "supper" -- but I call his breakfast "supper" too, so... yeah, that means nothing.

For us humanoids, I alternate between "supper" and "dinner." I think that I SAY "supper," but when I email my husband at work, asking if he feels like having A or B, I write "dinner." Funny thing, though, I feel so fancy (aka: pretentious) when I say "dinner" instead of "supper" and I don't know why that is. I guess I think of "dinner" as being properly dressed and eating at the dining room table instead of how we typically do it -- in sweats, at the coffee table in front of the TV.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:41 AM

7,967 posts, read 7,302,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
For my dog, I call his meals "supper" -- but I call his breakfast "supper" too, so... yeah, that means nothing.

For us humanoids, I alternate between "supper" and "dinner." I think that I SAY "supper," but when I email my husband at work, asking if he feels like having A or B, I write "dinner." Funny thing, though, I feel so fancy (aka: pretentious) when I say "dinner" instead of "supper" and I don't know why that is. I guess I think of "dinner" as being properly dressed and eating at the dining room table instead of how we typically do it -- in sweats, at the coffee table in front of the TV.
I wouldn't even have to dress up that much. DH has a new part time job in the evenings, so he is never home at dinner time.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:44 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,799,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Funny that some of you had hot meals for lunch...around here it was sandwiches/chips, save for Campbell's soup/grilled cheese in the winter!

My mom always prepared three hot meals every day. I remember for dinner she served three vegetables alongside the main course always, and we had two meatless dinners every week.

This introduced us to a wide variety of vegetables, and when our friends would eat at our home they were surprised that we actually ate veggies. Some of our friends would say the only vegetables they ate were french fries.

Eating so many vegetables when I was growing up made the switch to vegetarian easy when I decided to stop eating meat for ethical reasons.

Old 09-23-2012, 08:47 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,626,332 times
At our house dinner and supper are synonyms. No matter what you call it, it's usually good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink