Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2009, 06:53 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,696,687 times

Advertisements

The 20 Healthiest Foods for Under $1

I'm pretty sure we were talking about whether or not it's possible to cook healthy for cheap. I thought this was a good list b/c it's all healthy food. Yes, you'd have to COOK it instead of just heating it up,but I've always said it's more than possible to cook healthy for cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 06:58 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,037,881 times
bananas

Old 03-18-2009, 07:02 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,696,687 times
At any given week, grocery stores usually have chicken, ground beef, turkey, etc on sale for .99/lb. You can easily think of good, wholesome foods to make that use what meat is on sale. If no fresh meats are on sale, then canned meat in water is good too.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM

41,857 posts, read 74,899,969 times
I dunno where this chick shops, but nuts ain't cheap, peanuts aren't nuts, and $1 -- at the going rate of 50 cents a pound -- buys 2 1/2 bananas if you're lucky.

Old 03-19-2009, 05:21 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,473,210 times
I think a head of cabbage is pretty cheap when you consider all the ways that you can use it. Cooking for two, I can take a head of cabbage and stir fry some of it (with bacon ) for a side with pork chops, shred some of it to add to add to stir-fried rice, and use the rest of it for cabbage rolls (that we can eat twice). The list says brocolli, but that is pretty high here.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I dunno where this chick shops, but nuts ain't cheap, peanuts aren't nuts, and $1 -- at the going rate of 50 cents a pound -- buys 2 1/2 bananas if you're lucky.
I can often get a pound of walnuts on sale at Sprout's for 4.99/pound. I think the regular price is 6.99. Anyway, a few walnuts go a long way, and I use that pound to make many different recipes/snacks.

Peanuts are beans, not nuts, that's true, but they make a great snack. When I am a little hungry at work I sometimes have a handful of them and it really keeps me going until the next meal. They have some wonderfully high-quality large virginia "kettle peanuts" at my sprouts that are $2.something a pound. A pound of those goes a long way too.

Man, now I need to go to Sprout's! I haven't been there in over a month. That place is my best option where I live to get cheap produce and bulk goods like nuts. The ethnic markets often have lower produce prices but the quality is quite suspect and there will be a lot of rotten tomatoes mixed in with the good ones.

I hate bananas but I think you're right that .19 cents each was quite a steal for the writer of that article.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
I think a head of cabbage is pretty cheap when you consider all the ways that you can use it. Cooking for two, I can take a head of cabbage and stir fry some of it (with bacon ) for a side with pork chops, shred some of it to add to add to stir-fried rice, and use the rest of it for cabbage rolls (that we can eat twice). The list says brocolli, but that is pretty high here.
Thanks, those are some good ideas.

I've been seeing cabbage at El Rancho for 8 pounds for $1!! My Kroger will put it on sale for 2 pounds/$1.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:32 AM

709 posts, read 1,495,632 times
They forgot the staple of my cuisine, buckwheat kasha, which plays the same role as rice does in the East Asian cuisine, but its far more healthy and gives you lasting energy. If you shop around, you'll be amazed how cheap in can be in some ethnic stores. Fry it up with onions, mushrooms, and soy sauce - breakfast of (vegan) champions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink