Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 07:43 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times

Advertisements

Boy, I'm reading a lot of posts about leftover ham in a lot of people's refrigerators today! Wonder why that could be, eh? We have a nice stash of bite-sized pieces cut up in a zip-lock bag in the freezer, awaiting a date with some scalloped potatoes sometime soon, though probably not this week.

HG and Bella, sending hugs and good thoughts out to both of you tonight; I hope you both get good news, and fast, too. Not knowing is the hardest. HG, your mom is doing what she needs to for both of you; soak her up while you can, my dear, soak her up while you can. You'll heal faster.

Wonderful supper here tonight; last week, the kids couldn't think of anything specific to request for supper this week, so the spouse was on his mettle to come up with something they'd like that they probably wouldn't fix for themselves. And as usual, he outdid himself. The grilled pork chops were done to perfection, cooked sufficiently to be safe but still tender and juicy, and the fried apple rings seasoned with cinnamon sugar and black pepper were wonderful. Since there was so much going on in the kitchen, I got to participate, too, and made up a batch of my mom's recipe for pancakes, which we think makes the best pancakes in the world. The kids were ravenous, of course, like they always are at that age, and in very short order, there was nothing left but pork bones on anyone's plate.

We had laughter for dessert, a much less fattening choice than many I could have come up with, and now they've gone off to work on term papers and homework, well-stuffed with pork chops, pancakes and fried apples. And I've got a date with dishes and my bed, in that order.

Goodnight, all!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Made Coastal's chicken-I used boneless thighs w/Paul Newman peach medium salsa-cooked covered 1 hr, topped with cheese and served with rice mixed w/black bean chili from the other night-wow-it was good and more for tomorrow night.
Mmmm, that sounds good! Maybe I'll try it...I was thinking about making black beans & rice (though my family is luke-warm on beans)...I used cilantro tonight and my hands still smell of it, and I've been thinking of how good the beans would be with cilantro and garlic.

Tonight I made a salad like I saw RR do one day. Sliced garlic-y steak on a salad w/lots of spinach and romaine. Also mashed potatoes and green beans. The salad went over fabulously!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:54 PM

38,880 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Since one of my local grocery stores had a special on pork chops, I had to make one of my favorite dishes--pan-fried pork chops. Also had a side of steamed broccoli and some steamed white rice. As I've posted before on this dish, it was worth cleaning up the greasy stove top and washing the greasy skillet!

Old 04-14-2009, 05:46 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
udon noodles with peanut sauce.... chicken.... broc..... and if I feel like something else... we will see....

Old 04-14-2009, 06:52 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
I'm thinking spaghetti, garlic toast and a green salad for dinner tonight...but that could change.
Younglisa will be offline for a few days so she said not to worry!
Still rainy here. Have a great day everyone!

Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,500,274 times
SKBS.. you can't go wrong with peanut sauce.

I don't know what's for dinner again.. Gee... maybe ham?

Old 04-14-2009, 07:24 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,260,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Boy, I'm reading a lot of posts about leftover ham in a lot of people's refrigerators today! Wonder why that could be, eh? We have a nice stash of bite-sized pieces cut up in a zip-lock bag in the freezer, awaiting a date with some scalloped potatoes sometime soon, though probably not this week.

HG and Bella, sending hugs and good thoughts out to both of you tonight; I hope you both get good news, and fast, too. Not knowing is the hardest. HG, your mom is doing what she needs to for both of you; soak her up while you can, my dear, soak her up while you can. You'll heal faster.

Wonderful supper here tonight; last week, the kids couldn't think of anything specific to request for supper this week, so the spouse was on his mettle to come up with something they'd like that they probably wouldn't fix for themselves. And as usual, he outdid himself. The grilled pork chops were done to perfection, cooked sufficiently to be safe but still tender and juicy, and the fried apple rings seasoned with cinnamon sugar and black pepper were wonderful. Since there was so much going on in the kitchen, I got to participate, too, and made up a batch of my mom's recipe for pancakes, which we think makes the best pancakes in the world. The kids were ravenous, of course, like they always are at that age, and in very short order, there was nothing left but pork bones on anyone's plate.

We had laughter for dessert, a much less fattening choice than many I could have come up with, and now they've gone off to work on term papers and homework, well-stuffed with pork chops, pancakes and fried apples. And I've got a date with dishes and my bed, in that order.

Goodnight, all!
Good morning, all! MWBW, that story about your pork chops being safe but still moist and tender reminds me of the last dinner my mom fixed for DH and me before we moved down here to Florida. She made a pork roast in the oven. As is her habit, she cut into it to find out whether it's done. It looked done, but she wanted to make sure, so she cut a little chunk out of it and tasted it. "Oh, there's no more pink, but it's still moist, so it has to go back in for a while longer."

Anyway, too early to know what's for dinner yet. We have some leftover roast beef and also some pizza. Our big road trip to Naples is off, since we're expecting rain, so we're just going into Ft. Myers to check out some stuff at Costco. That always puts dinner up in the air, too. I'm sure we'll come up with something.

Have a great day, all.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:25 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,454 times
Morning all. Still formulating a plan for dinner. Something with sausage.

Keep me in your thoughts, hubby is out of town and all three kids are sick and so am I . Ugh. Oldest son is staying home, youngest son is sniffling. Middle son is still going to school. Maybe i should scrap the sausage and make chicken soup.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,579,111 times
Not sure but something simple. Maybe as simple as hot dogs covered in caramelized onions with mustard. Lots of stormy weather on the radar coming this way so grilling is most likely not going to happen today. Much rather have the rain than a cookout anyway.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:04 AM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Beautiful day here.....'spect I will go out and do some yard work....cleaniing up from winter ravaging storms....

Tonight will be Kielbasa....who knows if I get the grill out....it could be the first grilled supper....but perhaps not....we're planning on going to watch an inter collegiate tennis match this afternoon. I have eggs that will either go into a mac salad or become deviled eggs. You guess.....my DP loves deviled eggs, and I love him, so probably it will be the deviled eggs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink