U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2009, 08:34 PM

10,714 posts, read 6,646,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
it was actually a laid back hoot! but like I said...nothing exciting
SKBS - I would have loved to have been there! That is my kind of meal - simple, and with the ones you love the most in the world! Love it! You are such a good Mama! (I will submit that in writing for your future use when diva gets to be a teenager!)

Old 05-18-2009, 08:35 PM

3,034 posts, read 1,676,536 times
I have made Pot Roasts in the Oven... I usually use the oven bags, because I love the flavoring that comes with them. But... sometimes they don't keep the Juice. I'd like to try more of a homemade roast without the bag, but I have tried a few times and while the juice stays, it sometimes has a "watery" taste. Anyone have any EASY, yet YUMMY recipe for an oven roast they can share?...here or DM me. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:37 PM

4,116 posts, read 2,036,342 times
Someone suggested PIZZA and 2 slices of PIZZA it was. Thank You Lisa

Old 05-18-2009, 08:46 PM
bjh

20,390 posts, read 12,154,478 times
Italian pizza on French bread..is that allowed? Salad with olives, tomatoes, shredded cheese. Good stuff.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 PM

21,278 posts, read 5,179,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Noma - We will be awaiting your return! Best to Mrs. Noma!

Kels - Thanks for this recipe! I notice you say Greek seasoning. I use Cavender's Greek seasoning on most everything!

Coastal - Be safe!
I've never heard of this.. must be a southern thing?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFreak View Post
I have made Pot Roasts in the Oven... I usually use the oven bags, because I love the flavoring that comes with them. But... sometimes they don't keep the Juice. I'd like to try more of a homemade roast without the bag, but I have tried a few times and while the juice stays, it sometimes has a "watery" taste. Anyone have any EASY, yet YUMMY recipe for an oven roast they can share?...here or DM me. Thanks.
OK, I use the crock pot some for roasts - just put it on low, throw in the roast and some lipton onion soup mix, etc.... and let cook for about 8 hours. Then throw in some drained canned potatoes and carrots - just to heat. If you want - in a large measuring cup, put in about 1/4 -1/3 cup flour. Add a tiny bit of water and stir - add water a little at a time - this prevents lumping - until about 2 cups. Make sure your roast and all are NOT boiling when you pour this in while whisking. (It will lump if boiling) Let cook until the thickness is to your taste.

Another way is to simmer in a deep cast iron or cast dutch oven on top of the stove. Brown all sides of the roast - season with lipton onion soup mix, garlic powder, onion flakes, whatever. Pour in a can of beef broth and a can of french onion soup. Depending on the roast, double the soups. Add water if needed until roast is covered 3/4 of the way. Cover and simmer until tender - sometimes (depending on the cut of the meat) may take an hour or more. When tender, throw in canned potatoes and carrots. You can thicken if you want to.

MY Favorite is using the pressure cooker. Do about the same as above but cooks in a lot less time.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:58 PM

3,588 posts, read 674,768 times
Hello at the table I wanted to let you all know Cyn made it to the Dr.s safe and sound. I will let her fill in the details of the trip and Dr. visit.

I made angel hair pasta with hamemade meat sauce with spicy Italian sausage. Garlic bread to soak up the goodness ha ha! I steamed carrots, broccli, spinache, and topped it with a little of my sauce ( I had to test it ). Very good.

The earthquake last night was small. Always a reminder though. Thanks Jaxs

Old 05-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Amber - Thanks for letting us know!

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM

15,994 posts, read 16,040,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFreak View Post
I do my Pot Roast the same way my grandmother did. I start with a rump roast. Salt and pepper it and then brown on all sides in a pot with oil. After it is all browned I take it out and wipe up the grease(that's my choice). I put the meat back in the pot and add enough water to come up about half way on the meat. I add beef bullion cubes and sliced onions. Put the cover on and simmer about 2 hours(depending on size). Make sure there is still enough water and then add peeled carrots. Put cover back on and simmer until done. Take meat and veggies out and make a pan brown gravy with the broth and drippings. Slice the meat and add it to the pot of gravy. Very moist and very good. Serve with mashed potatoes, peas, and rolls. Oh so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e.ortega View Post
Someone suggested PIZZA and 2 slices of PIZZA it was. Thank You Lisa
You're welcome. Sure just rub it in, lol. Where's my slice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Italian pizza on French bread..is that allowed? Salad with olives, tomatoes, shredded cheese. Good stuff.
Sounds good.

Amber- Thanks for the update. I think "oven fried" zucchini would be great. Hmm. What kind of "healthy" dipping sauce?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:23 PM

9,718 posts, read 4,050,174 times
Tonight's dinner was penne pasta, chicken, mushrooms and broccoli in a light white sauce. My DH and DS said it was good. I didn't eat it or taste it, I had soup...........stomach problems
I marinated chicken and beef to have on Sunday. Soaked the skewers, threaded tons of kabobs, went to put them on the gas (propane) grill.........EMPTY I'm not having much luck cooking anymore

Everyone's dinner sounded great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.