U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2009, 05:37 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,164,709 times
Oh, yummy supper tonight. Warning: those who hate liver should skip on to the next post, as this one will not be to your liking.

Although the daughter is clearly not happy, she is not yet at the point of needing/wanting to vent at length, so I did make it into the office for much of the afternoon. I got a lot accomplished, as is typical when I'm there without the phone ringing or people popping in to ask silly questions all the time. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, as I think the kids are at a crossroads in their relationship, and I am not sure what awaits them on the far side, but she is handling it at least mostly on her own thus far, which says a lot for how much she has grown up in recent years.

Since I wound up staying at the office so long, the spouse went ahead and did supper tonight, which was fine with me. He's been hunting chicken livers at the grocery store for the past several weeks, and today they finally had them in stock, so he came home with a pound, and created a wonderful dish with them.

He started by frying up a couple of bacon strips cut into pieces, alongside of some diced onions and garlic. Once he had the bacon nice and crisp and the onion softened a bit, he cut the chicken livers into bite-sized chunks, dredged them in flour with pepper and Herbs de Provence, and added them to the pan. They sauteed that way for a bit, with the excess flour turning into a lovely light roux, and then he added chicken broth and a splash of white wine. While that simmered gently, he cooked up some whole-wheat pasta and some of the asparagus we picked up at the Farmers' Market yesterday morning.

The chicken livers, bacon and onions in gravy went over the pasta, with the asparagus resting gently alongside, and the result was absolutely heavenly. At least it was for those of us who enjoy liver... for the rest of you, well, you don't know what you're missing, but at least it leaves more for the rest of us!

Peaceful Sunday evening to all, and may the coming week be productive, fun and filled with good food. See you at Cyn's table!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:41 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,729,031 times
Dinner yesterday was so miserable (a measly salad from mellow mushroom- friend's birthday and his choice of venue) that we're doing something special tonight. Slow-braised pork shortribs are in the oven now, along with corn fresh off the cob and caramelized onions. Feels good to clean out the fridge and deep freeze!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:55 PM

28,227 posts, read 13,032,323 times
MWBW-I have chicken livers, finally found some out here and believe me I will be making this. Thank you!!!

Is it cold there? It is here.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:09 PM

18,955 posts, read 13,073,719 times
Ended up with pasta...that worked. I wasn't very hungry--too warm. Maybe tomorrow night will be burritos. Now that sounds good to me!
Never had just chicken liver but it sounds interesting. I've always just cooked beef liver with onions and bacon and love it! DH just informed me he isn't fond of chicken livers---Oh well! He said it makes good Catfish bait! He said it only takes one chicken liver to catch a 4 pound Catfish and he prefers Catfish! Ha! Guess we'll be sticking to Catfish!
I did get quite a lot done today..amazing! I got the roses weeded---again!! Boy do those weeds grow like crazy! Tomorrow the tomatoe garden gets weeded. They are growing like crazy with little tomatoes all over them. I can hardly wait for fresh tomatoes!!
I'm ready to kick back and let DH watch his car racing reviews while I nap!!
Good night all!!

Old 06-07-2009, 06:32 PM

131,658 posts, read 41,215,731 times
Time to cut up my apples and pineapple for a fruit salad dinner. Most appetizing thing I can think of now.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:09 PM

15,669 posts, read 10,595,338 times
Hi ya foodies~~suppers sound great around here tonight so I will add ours was fantastic! Our guests stuffed themselves with extra helpings boy that does my heart good seeing folks enjoy my cooking. The Ding Dong cake was a smashing hit of course ours wasn't as pretty as skbs showed us but it tasted great! Thanks amber for sharing that recipe I will have to find that thread to give my update on it.

I must say cooking my pasta sauce, then in the fridge for over 36 hours then slow cooking some more gave it a depth I haven't let it get to in awhile. Usually spaghetti is one of my go to hurry up meals with my home jarred pasta sauce. Even my kids were saying how much more flavorable it was tonight and they love my hurry up spaghetti. It is a little more detailed than opening a Prego jar of sauce but you get my drift eh?

Hope ya all enjoyed your Sunday! We did!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:44 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 4,865,415 times
Back from dinner at the neighbors. It was so good! We had Chinese overnight chicken with garlic and ginger - it sort of poaches and is so tender and flavorful. We also had real red cooked pork with baby bok choy. He got the special fresh cut "bacon" that the dish calls for. OMG it was so good! We laughed because he and I loved the fat and skin with the meat - he was surprised I'd be so into it since I'd never had it before and even his partner is grossed out by it LOL. He also made "Chinese broccoli" which isn't really broccoli but, whatever it is, it was damned tasty! Steamed rice as an accompaniment, of course. Mmmm...full and happy

Have a great night everyone!

Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,164,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
MWBW-I have chicken livers, finally found some out here and believe me I will be making this. Thank you!!!

Is it cold there? It is here.
We were chilly/grey/drizzly yesterday, downright brisk overnight, then overcast much of today, but it was warming and clearing by sunset. Hopefully that means that the warm is en route to your neck of the (north) woods soon, too. Our favorite meat vendor at the Farmers' Market was expressing a lot of concern yesterday about the continued cool weather hindering crop growth if things don't start warming up soon. I'm not fond of ultra-hot weather, but enough heat to get the tomato plants big enough to set fruit would be nice.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:57 AM

28,227 posts, read 13,032,323 times
Good early morning all-why I'm ip behooves me but here I am!

MWBW yes I noticed on our ride yesterday crops are nowhere near where they should be-some fields yet to be planted.

Not much in the L home today as it's prep day for Mr. L. I will probably have some of Charley's Pulled Pork that I froze.

Happy day all.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:50 AM

33,708 posts, read 10,487,996 times
I was at the nursery yesterday and the lady in the perennial section commented that this spring everything was seriously behind.....altho whilst away we seemed to have missed the blooming of the pear and apple trees and the lilacs and came home after 3 weeks to a lawn of knee high grass and clover; I just got my few tomato plants and a couple of peppers and summer squash in yesterday....hopefully they will be an on-topic post, in a couple of months.

I think I would like to do a pot roast for dinner today.....or something totally "American home cooking"! Since I don't have a pot roast, perhaps it will be Meat Loaf and mashed potatoes.
I must be coming out of the jet lag....as that sounds great to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink