Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2009, 05:28 AM

256 posts, read 451,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I don't know if just I've changed or the Costco food has changed over the years also, but I really don't care for it anymore.
We mainly get our meat there - considerably cheaper than Publix or Kroger around here. We spend a few hours making serving-size portions out of huge chunks of pork loin, big beef roasts, and large packages of chicken breasts, lamb chops, kielbasa, and pork chops. If there is another kind of meat or cut of meat on sale that appeals to us, we may get that, too. We get a $300 or so "hit" each time, but it serves us for 3-5 months at a time. I estimate this saves us over $1500 a year over grocery prices - even the "sale" prices. As far as the rest of Costco, we don't usually get anything except plastic bags of various sizes in large boxes so that saves us some money over time, too. I think that between Sam's Club and Costco, we save another $800 in a year with plastic products, paper products, and some canned foods and condiments. I'll get a new set of phones for the house at our next Costco visit that will be a good $40 less than the electronic stores charge. It's a good place to get "stuff" for the house - as long as I research prices before going there.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:32 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,799,454 times
Good Friday morning all.

Not sure what it will be-pulled pork is frozen but have potato salad so eith a small spiral ham or burgers.

SKBS-hope you feel better-your immune system is shot right now with all the late nights/early mornings.

MTH,Cyn and all with the sniffles-feel better.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:48 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,215,946 times
Don't be spreading those germs to everybody on CD, now. Seriously, I do hope everybody feels better soon.

We did the ham in the crock pot. The alum. foil worked just fine. Ham was nice and tender and tasty. Baked a couple of sweet taters, steamed some green beans and opened a can of corn. Now I have a nice ham bone for baked beans. Yum. I'm sure there'll be a few leftovers from this baby.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:56 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,314,670 times
Good morning all. I hope all who are sick start feeling better.

I bought whole Chickens yesterday for 69 cents a pound. So tonight I am baking chicken with stuffing, cranberry sauce, rutabagas for me, and corn for my DH. I have to bake it this morning because it is too hot in the afternoon to have the oven on that long.

Bella- All I can say is "haircuts...Uggg!!!"

Old 05-29-2009, 06:01 AM

18,936 posts, read 11,545,230 times
Good morning all. Rainy here but sunny dispositions so that'll do

The food sounds good - haircuts, not so much. Sorry Lisa

Well, I won't keep you in suspense and make things too complicated...after a one night reprieve we're having our third night of delicious spaghetti sauce tonight LOL. Apparently, I have some aversion to packing up leftovers for freezing and enjoying another time. Good thing we both love spaghetti but hardly ever have it so neither of us is sick of it yet

Have a great day everyone!

Old 05-29-2009, 06:27 AM

20,549 posts, read 30,314,670 times
Toosie- Don't feel bad. We are the same way. If I make it we eat it until it is gone, lol. Only when I make a lasagna or something does it get frozen.

Like I said I am baking a whole chicken so we will be eating chicken for about 3 days lunch and dinner, lol.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:32 AM

259,023 posts, read 90,339,784 times
Good morning all. That pork roast came out flaky tender. Bone slipped right out. Use a fork to tear it up transferred it to a fresh pan and covered with Sweet Baby Ray's. Have it chilling in the fridge for supper tonight and a few more meals to spare. If I can just remember to get a sweet potato now I'll be in business.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:54 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,799,454 times
Toosie-you've got a point there-it's like "this little piggy went to market...." month.

Spiral ham tonight.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:05 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,843,984 times
Well, the thunder kept Chatterbox up last night.... she was the monkey in our bed.... doing flips and flops through the night... oh well.... woke up to the new alarm clock in Diva's room... man that sucker was loud at 6:40am!!! might just be the headache I woke with.... hope it goes away.... deciding if it is teetering towards migriane levels... Chatterbox this morning told me she was going to ask Daddy to make her her Choco Milk because she knew I had a headache.... I didn't even tell her.... she said she knew by looking at me.... now that is bad.... I made the choco milk.... She is too sweet though. Dinner???? Maybe a nap???? LOL.... I dont' think I am joking this time.... hahah..... I think I really need one. Today IS Friday right? Chatterbox has PreK... so I have to take her in 2 and half hours.... naptime then??????? we shall see......

Dinner might be sandwiches.... fend for yourself...soup.... to be honest.... I don't really care today... is that so bad of me???

Old 05-29-2009, 07:24 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,424,823 times
Turtlemom: I like other items at Costco also, it's the "prepared food" I don't care for. I went to a party where everything was from Costco from little puff pastries to a very sweet chicken salad and it was pretty ghastly.

For dinner tonight I am craving little red potatoes, boiled in their jackets, with fresh green beans thrown in towards the end of cooking. I'd like to blanket them both in some homemade pesto sauce, and dig in.

Problem? My basil plants are still 2 inches tall, if that. Something is wrong with them.

We may end up having boar's head franks cooked on the grill instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink