U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Have you ever traveled to another country to try some authentic cuisine??
Yes 15 78.95%
No 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:27 PM

4,497 posts, read 4,424,477 times

Advertisements

Have you ever traveled to another country to try some authentic cuisine?? If so, did you like the experience? Wouldn't you want to do it agian??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 03:36 PM

4,225 posts, read 10,288,262 times
Do you mean if we travelled to the country specifically for the food or do you mean you went to the country for whatever reason and since you were there, you tried the local cuisine?

If you mean the latter, then yes. The former, no.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:22 PM

1,333 posts, read 1,913,580 times
I've only been to Canada and did not go there for the food.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:40 AM

812 posts, read 1,628,241 times
yes, i went to korea and the food was different. even if it's prepared in the states, it just doesn't taste the same. also, i still gain weight from eating the korean food in the states which boggles me because you don't get fat from eating the 'same' food in korea. the veges and fruit were delicious and had lots of flavor. the food tasted more lively and healthier. i don't know exactly why. maybe it's organic.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 AM

3,796 posts, read 5,480,022 times
I've been to tons of countries but never JUST for the food.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:24 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,276,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I've been to tons of countries but never JUST for the food.
Same... the Navy took me to plenty of new places and unlike most sailors I was looking for authentic culture, food and new experiences when I hit port not the closest bar. I loved finding little corner markets, shops or restaurants off the beaten path and experiencing the culture/food. Even if 90% of the time it was via pointing and gesturing since I didn't know the language.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:02 PM

667 posts, read 869,142 times
We did a little European excursion quite a while ago. I loved the food in Paris. I had my first taste of steak tartare and escargot there, and I still love them both. I also had the first wine that I really liked in Paris. My Parisian pizza had a raw egg in the middle, which I did not care for. I did not care for the food in London or Austria (maybe we didn't eat in the right places or order the right things), but we both loved the food in Rome. I would love to go back again, older and wiser . I would also love to go to China, perhaps Beijing, because I would love to try all the really authentic Chinese dishes.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:08 PM

19,912 posts, read 8,213,170 times
When I travel internationally, I make a point to go to a "good" local restaurant. I start by researching on the Internet and contact the concierge of the hotel. I have never been disappointed.

I use the same rule of thumb when I go to local restaurants - I don't order anything that I can make at home.

When in Rome - "eat like a Roman!" (my gastronomic version of the saying)

I not only want to see the sites of the cities, I want to eat like the locals.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:05 PM

2,404 posts, read 2,465,366 times
Tijuana for their Street Tacos. Much like how the Greeks cook gyro lamb on an autodoner, the Mexicans cook their carnitas (pork) in the same way. Slice the carnitas off into a fresh cooked corn tortilla, add fresh cilantro, and finish with the fresh squeeze of lime. So good.

The Baja area too, has some really outstanding seafood dishes.

Amersterdam where I had an authentic bowl of mussels and french fries.

Paris. French baguettes are so hard they bled my gums. Serious, no exaggeration here. But their street crepes are some of the best I've ever had.

London - Fish and Chips, what else. HP sauce. Blood pudding.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 AM

18,311 posts, read 17,692,655 times
I've traveled a lot, but it wasn't for the food. But I certainly always enjoyed the food.

Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Guam gave me totally new cuisines to love. I had never eating any type of Asian food prior to spending time in those places, so I am very glad I had the opportunity.

Germany has awesome schnitzel...incredible. Paris...I agree with the poster above - the baguettes can be hard, but the food in general is HEAVEN. I'll take Paris for the food alone!! London...not so much, but yeah the fish and chips are yummy. St. Lucia...Big Momma's johnny cakes with banana ketchup and hot sauce. Damn that was good stuff. Worth going back for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink