Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you tip for restaurant to-go Orders?
Yes, I leave the traditional 15%+ tip. 9 5.23%
Yes, I leave a very small tip. 34 19.77%
No, I leave no tip. 115 66.86%
Other. 14 8.14%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,650 times

Advertisements

The whole point of a tip was to compensate people that make under minimum wage. Tipping means you received good service and your needs were met. Why would I tip someone to prepare my food when I am the one picking it up? I can't stand this tip culture where everyone expects a tip. Starbucks irritates me. They make good money and good benefits. Why do they have a tip box? Same thing with frozen yogurt places. Filling the toppings and keeping the place clean is your JOB. Why do you get extra for doing?

Old 01-06-2014, 10:03 AM

912 posts, read 1,524,926 times
It depends. Large and/or complex orders get a tip, absolutely. I also tend to toss in a few dollars on busy nights. I don't know, I guess I err on the side of tipping, even a small amount. Even if I serve the food myself, I'm still reaping the benefit of not cooking or cleaning up beyond tossing stuff in the trash -- which is a godsend on super busy nights. We pick up Indian take-out once every couple of weeks, and I have to admit, it's so nice just being able to come home and set everything out that it's absolutely worth the tip to me.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:46 AM

537 posts, read 740,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Nope - I hate the whole restaurant tipping thing. The person delivering my meal or packaging my meal is an employee - I'd rather tip the chef/cook because the service is meaningless if the food isn't palatable.
If you think you are going to the change the exploitive restaurant industry in the U.S. . . . well, good luck with that. The industry depends upon the tipping custom as a public subsidy for their "business model" and they are powerful and well-connected. Translation: that ho oar you call a congressman/senator is not going to give the $2.50/hour restaurant worker a second's thought.

The sad thing is the public remains largely clueless about tipping and the rotten pay of restaurant workers. The public has the ability to "opt out" but the worker doesn't.

I remember once going behind my father-in-law's back after he stiffed our cocktail waitress. I slipped her a generous tip while my father-in-law waddled off muttering, "These drinks are so expensive, she's probably making a big profit already". And, no, my business owner father-in-law never worked a service job in his entire life. But, it's all good. He's dead now.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:57 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatswanlady View Post
It depends. Large and/or complex orders get a tip, absolutely. I also tend to toss in a few dollars on busy nights. I don't know, I guess I err on the side of tipping, even a small amount. Even if I serve the food myself, I'm still reaping the benefit of not cooking or cleaning up beyond tossing stuff in the trash -- which is a godsend on super busy nights. We pick up Indian take-out once every couple of weeks, and I have to admit, it's so nice just being able to come home and set everything out that it's absolutely worth the tip to me.
To me, the cost of purchasing a meal from a restaurant in the first place IS the price I pay for the convenience of not cooking myself. Tipping for the service when I don't dine in and don't reap the benefit of the service seems above and beyond what's necessary.

I'm of the belief that tips are earned, though, by actually going above and beyond at your job...not just a given that I should feel obligated to do for no particular reason other than the fact that restaurant owners are not required to pay a living wage. A tip, to me, is additional money, a thank-you for a job particularly well-done...not just me feeling some responsibility to subsidize a restauranteur's costs.

I'm not clueless as to server protocols. My grandmother waited tables for decades, in a time when many or her peers were June Cleavering it up, feather dusting in pearls and heels and pouring their husbands after-work martinis. She earned her tips through going above and beyond, and taking pride in what she did...her hospitality, quality of service, making the diners in the supper clubs she worked at feel at home and welcome. To me, that earns additional pay far more than (maybe) tossing some fried rice in a container, stapling up a bag, and leaving it cooling on the counter. Just like with any profession, there are those who take great concern with doing a great job at what they do, and there are those who rather carelessly phone it in. I don't believe that a flat gratuity protocol for anybody who works in the service industry addresses these rather large differences in work ethic very well, hence my belief that a tip is earned. I'm not saying that those who fill take-out orders are subpar workers, I'm simply saying that if you get an order to go, the server isn't actually even going to be providing you with a service you'd potentially tip for. It's not a slam, it's just what it is. I don't tip for fast food, either, nor do most people. To me, packaging my food and handing it to me to go is not a tipping situation, be it at McDonald's or someplace that employs servers to accommodate those who dine in.

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 01-06-2014 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 12:39 PM

246 posts, read 430,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
To me, the cost of purchasing a meal from a restaurant in the first place IS the price I pay for the convenience of not cooking myself. Tipping for the service when I don't dine in and don't reap the benefit of the service seems above and beyond what's necessary.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,791 times
Depends. I tip individuals, not establishments, so in general, no, because who am I tipping and for what? Maybe one person made the food, maybe more than one person made the food, maybe another person plated it /boxed it up, maybe another person carried it up front, maybe another person handed it to me, maybe another person rang me up, maybe nobody rang me up because I already paid online. I don't know so I'm not going to worry about it.

I regard tips as thanks for providing me with a pleasant dine-in service experience. I don't make a habit of tipping for anything outside of that except for delivery. There are occasional exceptions. If you have a tip jar up front and you go out of your way for something related to my pickup or I feel bad about how much work it seems you guys are all running ragged trying to do or even if I just have the extra bit in my pocket, I'll pop a tip in the jar.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:44 PM

246 posts, read 430,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
The whole point of a tip was to compensate people that make under minimum wage. Tipping means you received good service and your needs were met. Why would I tip someone to prepare my food when I am the one picking it up? I can't stand this tip culture where everyone expects a tip. Starbucks irritates me. They make good money and good benefits. Why do they have a tip box? Same thing with frozen yogurt places. Filling the toppings and keeping the place clean is your JOB. Why do you get extra for doing?
I never did understand why coffee places, ice cream shops, etc., have tip jars. As someone stated earlier - you don't see a tip jar at McDonald's. What makes these places any different? I'm not even saying that I don't occasionally leave tips at places such as these but I do fail to see any real difference between them and fast food establishments.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:27 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Yes. I tip 20% when I eat in. I tip something when I get a takeout order because I have kids who have worked carryout and someone does have to take your order and package the food and collect your money. When I pick up BBQ from a local restaurant, I tip $5 for about a $30 order. Last week my order was $60 and I tipped $10.
at what point in time does it just become a part of their job? all employees do stuff. i dont tip all employees.

Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
I just never understood the logic of it. I don't tip at McDonalds or Chick Fila. Why would I tip somewhere else for just making my food? And actually the service at Chick Fila is pretty damn good, when they come around to your table and offer to refill your drink. I always tip 20% at restaurants when I dine in, unless there were issues with the service.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:54 PM

367 posts, read 697,110 times
I will tip on the carry out order if the person is extra friendly strikes up conversation with me why I'm waiting or if they go out of their way to get me extra sauces,napkins and etc. In some places the servers have to take the carry out orders.In that case I for sure tip because most are working for 2 -3 bucks an hour.They are also having to claim the sale on their shift report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink