Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 01:55 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,978,095 times

Advertisements

I never even knew there was 2 different steaks, I only heard of Chicken fried steak, its probably one of the most popular foods in my hometown and is always served with cream gravy, I have heard of country fried though but I just assumed it was the same thing with a different name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,818,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I'd like to know what's the difference. I read it years ago in Southern Living but we no longer have the magazine and I forgot.

I'm a BIG fan of country-fried steak.

Apparently in the eastern half of the South, country-fried is the most popular and in the western half, chicken-fried is the most popular. I've only travelled through the eastern half of the southern U.S. though.
Its location and gravy...

In Texas we bread a steak, pan fry it and cover in cream( white) gravy

In (mostly) the south, they bread a steak, pan fry it and cover in a BROWN gravy...

Chicken fried steak with cream gravy

Country fried steak with brown gravy

Last edited by 1751texan; 02-10-2010 at 08:02 AM..

Old 02-10-2010, 07:41 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,554,237 times
^^ East Tennessee / Central Florida girl here. After staring at the two pictures, the top picture appears to be Country Fried Steak which is breaded and fried and is covered in Sawmill (aka cream) gravy. The bottom picture looks like Salisbury Steak which is not breaded and would indeed be smothered in brown gravy. Two totally different dishes IMO.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,888,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
^^ East Tennessee / Central Florida girl here. After staring at the two pictures, the top picture appears to be Country Fried Steak which is breaded and fried and is covered in Sawmill (aka cream) gravy. The bottom picture looks like Salisbury Steak which is not breaded and would indeed be smothered in brown gravy. Two totally different dishes IMO.

I agree...But either way they both look GOOOD...

Good call on the Sawmill Gravy...

Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 AM

36,334 posts, read 15,937,064 times
Here in NC, it's the gravy!! Brown is country, white is chicken - fried!!

Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,818,061 times
Quote:

I know what salibury steak is...this is breaded and pan fried steak.
I use the small photo , but as you can see from the larger, its steak...not hamburger.

[LEFT]Although not official, the dish is considered the state dish of Texas. According to a Texas Restaurant Associate, it is estimated that 800,000 orders of Chicken-Fried Steak are served in Texas every day, not counting any prepared at home.
1844-1850 - The origin of the Chicken-Fried Steak probably comes from the German people who settled in Texas from 1844 to 1850. As Wiener Schnitzel is a popular German dish that is made from veal, and because veal was never popular in Texas and beef was, the German immigrants probably adapted their popular dish to use the tougher cuts of beef available to them.[/LEFT]

Old 02-10-2010, 08:09 AM

3,464 posts, read 1,888,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I know what salibury steak is...this is breaded and pan fried steak.
I use the small photo , but as you can see from the larger, its steak...not hamburger.

Thanks for the larger photo, that just increased my appetite...

Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM

16,353 posts, read 30,063,064 times
Quote:
Salisbury steak is made with GROUND beef.

1751Texan - What cut do you make your country fried steak with?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,554,237 times
Sheesh, I said IMO! Anyone else care to pounce on a hillbilly Realtor who doesn't share your definition of country fried- or salisbury- steak? And for the record, we have always used cube steak to prepare both recipes.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-10-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,773,946 times
All I know is I am drooling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink