U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 12:59 AM

7,701 posts, read 12,878,262 times

Advertisements

I am returning to work after being home raising a family for 20 years.
I am trying to eat very healthy and wondered what others do when they have to pack heathy food.
Should I take snacks for mid morning and afternoon and a small lunch.

Does anyone have a great food thermos that keeps an entree hot til lunch?

I am way over analyzing how to keep the hot food, hot and the cold food,
cold.

I have lost 10 pounds by eating a sorta South Beach diet and want to
lose 10 more.

At home I eat when I am hungry and do a lot of stuff that would be hard to pack.

See how this sounds.
Breakfast - Eggs or Protein smoothy
10 ish- fruit
12 small heathy entree,soup or wrap
3 ish- nuts and my one diet soda I allow myself /day
dinner- heathy recipe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 01:58 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,506,721 times
Any place I've worked at has had a microwave, so keeping food warm was not an issue. Hope your new place of work has one.

Leftovers are good - so if you're eating healthy at home, you can bring that into work the next day, sometimes altering it a bit. I'll usually bring washed lettuce or spinach in a container with sliced veggies, and either my own dressing separate, or some leftover meat, fish or chicken to put on the salad.

Nuts are a great snack. 9 or 10 roasted almonds takes care of any peckishness I might be experiencing.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 AM

10,206 posts, read 16,771,232 times
I love my Mr. Bento food thermos. It's so convenient, especially if I want to eat at my desk and not go all the way down to the kitchen.

It forces me to get creative when packing my lunch because of the small size of the containers. I often have a cup of soup/chili, a small salad or a melange of leftovers in the largest container (for example, grilled chicken strips with grilled vegetables), a cut up orange or waldorf salad in the smallest container, and in the second smallest I probably had something for breakfast, such as oatmeal or cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes.

The containers do look small, but you can easily pack more food in there than you can eat.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:07 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,138,830 times
I always pack up mybreakfast & lunch for the entire week and keep it at work.

Low fat cottage cheese
Grapes
Plain Oatmeal
Cut up Strawberries and or Blueberries
Nuts

Old 04-05-2009, 09:38 PM

5,683 posts, read 8,893,931 times
I do an upside-down salad most days for myself. I take a quart-size zip-lock bag and start by putting in the cherry tomatoes that I want to wind up on top of the finished product. Then I add other veggies, including but not limited to cucumber, bell pepper, celery, carrots, sprouts, mushrooms, whatever looked good at the market on the weekend, and finish it with a big handful of torn-up Romaine lettuce. Then I dump in some fat-free salad dressing (Maple Grove makes some WONDERFUL ones) and zip it closed. I put a couple of ounces of either grilled chicken or fish in a sandwich bag, and put all of the above, with a piece of fruit and a fat-free yogurt, into my lunch pail.

I have the fat-free yogurt for elvenses, that mid-morning nosh to keep from gnawing chunks off the arm of my chair. At lunchtime, I take out the bowl that I keep at work and up-end the salad into it. All the veggies are nicely marinated in the dressing, and the stuff that I like on top winds up right where I want it. I top it with the couple ounces of protein, and that's lunch. The fruit is a late-afternoon snack to keep me from devouring the entire contents of the kitchen when I get home.

For my spouse's lunch each day, I always turn to leftovers, and in fact we usually plan supper quantities specifically with leftovers in mind. Leftover spaghetti or stew are favorites, likewise soup and chili. Extra Chinese food over leftover rice is another excellent choice. If you like things like hummus and falafel, those are very tasty for lunch. Only rarely do I make him a sandwich, and it is usually a sandwich made of leftovers like meatloaf or a grilled chicken breast.

Of course, the downside to be aware of is that when you go to the employee lounge to heat up your lunch of wonderful leftovers in the microwave oven there, and the heavenly scent of home-made beef stew or chili or meatloaf begins to waft over the hordes eating bologna sandwiches, you may catch a bit of ribbing from folks who'd love to help you polish off your lunch. But that just means that the next potluck you have at the office, everyone will know whose dish to go for first.

Good luck in your return to the workforce, and I hope it all goes well for you!

Old 04-05-2009, 10:14 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,800,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Of course, the downside to be aware of is that when you go to the employee lounge to heat up your lunch of wonderful leftovers in the microwave oven there, and the heavenly scent of home-made beef stew or chili or meatloaf begins to waft over the hordes eating bologna sandwiches, you may catch a bit of ribbing from folks who'd love to help you polish off your lunch. But that just means that the next potluck you have at the office, everyone will know whose dish to go for first.
That's happened to me too. I'm too cheap to pay $5-10 for lunch every day, so while other people have a footlong sub with chips and a drink, I'll nuke some sausage and potatoes carried to work in a ziplock bag, and be accused of eating better than anybody else in the office.

I do admit to having some fun when the office had a pool to see who could lose the most weight. I'd take an early break and heat up a couple strips of bacon, and then walk back to my desk wafting the scent through the office.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM

21,164 posts, read 22,168,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyssaTx View Post
I always pack up mybreakfast & lunch for the entire week and keep it at work.
My office won't let us do that - makes the fridge/freezer too crowded so only 1 day at a time....

Old 04-12-2009, 12:20 PM

98 posts, read 169,644 times
Before I was laid off last month, I would pack my lunch every day. One of my main things would be plain yogurt with a small dollop of jelly or jam, and a sprinkle of wheat germ. Just mix it up right before eating. Also we had a toaster available, so a wheat english muffin spread with peanut butter and if you had the time, sliced banana on top. It was filling and stuck with you so helped curb any "hunger" pangs. Drink a lot of water, too. Any sliced or cut veggies and/or fruits. Lunch itself was the night before leftovers. These are pretty easy on the pocketbook and waist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or