U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-15-2009, 01:18 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Season's greetings." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
20,533 posts, read 12,438,321 times
Reputation: 93708

Advertisements

I was reading a 1960s cookbook yesterday and came to the entertainment section. It covered the expected holidays, then it described something it called a Cup Party.

What it was is the entire food and beverage for the party was in liquid form. For example, for one party they suggested having a type of tea, lemonade, a bisque or consomme or other almost all liquid soup, mulled cider, punch, and coffee.

Of course variety is encouraged so this is just one example. They had suggestions for summer and winter.

At least they suggested bread or crackers with the soup, but it seems like no one should have arrived too hungry.

I've never heard of this. Have you? What other types of parties have you or your family or friends had? Whether it was something others did too or unique to you and yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-15-2009, 02:08 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
9,758 posts, read 13,849,111 times
Reputation: 13802
I've never heard of a cup party, but I do remember fondue parties being a big thing in the 60s/70s.

Any type of potluck party is fun, though!

Also fun is the build your own type of party, like build your own burritos, burgers, sandwiches, etc. Fill your own crepes would be fun too - everyone could bring different savory and sweet fillings, and the host could provide the crepes to fill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Gue
 
24,120 posts, read 5,878,456 times
Reputation: 60853
Yes, I remember fondue parties.

& make your own taco parties!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 AM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Season's greetings." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
20,533 posts, read 12,438,321 times
Reputation: 93708
Yes, "build your own ________" parties are good and kids have fun making their own pizza or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 02:22 AM
 
9,924 posts, read 8,934,558 times
Reputation: 7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I was reading a 1960s cookbook yesterday and came to the entertainment section. It covered the expected holidays, then it described something it called a Cup Party.

What it was is the entire food and beverage for the party was in liquid form. For example, for one party they suggested having a type of tea, lemonade, a bisque or consomme or other almost all liquid soup, mulled cider, punch, and coffee.

Of course variety is encouraged so this is just one example. They had suggestions for summer and winter.

At least they suggested bread or crackers with the soup, but it seems like no one should have arrived too hungry.

I've never heard of this. Have you? What other types of parties have you or your family or friends had? Whether it was something others did too or unique to you and yours.

I can't imagine it gained too much popularity, least amongst people with teeth anyways! Maybe that's why it didn't gain popularity?

I do remember we would have progressive dinners where each person would host a course and the group would move from house to house for each course. It worked well as a fundraiser too with people being allocated into groups and making a plate for a pre designated course and bringing it along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 11:32 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Season's greetings." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
20,533 posts, read 12,438,321 times
Reputation: 93708
Moonshadow, I've heard of those too. It's a good idea. I knew of a church that had small groups of people do that (in order to keep it manageable.)

What I was wondering when I posted this was if there were other old-fashioned types of parties that I hadn't heard of. You never know until you ask. That's one thing I like about exploring old books. You never know what you'll learn, in this case about the past. And I'm a history buff, not in the names-and-dates sense, but in learning what life was like for people in different times and places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2009, 11:52 PM
 
9,924 posts, read 8,934,558 times
Reputation: 7172
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Moonshadow, I've heard of those too. It's a good idea. I knew of a church that had small groups of people do that (in order to keep it manageable.)

What I was wondering when I posted this was if there were other old-fashioned types of parties that I hadn't heard of. You never know until you ask. That's one thing I like about exploring old books. You never know what you'll learn, in this case about the past. And I'm a history buff, not in the names-and-dates sense, but in learning what life was like for people in different times and places.
We used to have them at my ballet school as a fundraiser every year.

I completely understand your motivation as I love going back through old books and diaries and the like and exploring how people used to live and socialize myself. I popped in here because the subject interested me but I'm struggling a little to remember parties of the sort you mean other than the ones that have been mentioned.

We did have a few "cocktail" parties when I was younger where everyone brought a bottle of something designated by the host and there would be a variety of cocktails to try over the evening. And I guess I've been at a lot of "bring a plate" parties where everyone just brings a plate of something but I don't recall it every getting more involved than that. I'll need to think about it some more.

Currently my Mum is reading through my great grandmother's diaries (she passed away a long time ago and left them to my mother) and we are both thoroughly enjoying reading all the little historical gems they contain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2009, 04:24 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Season's greetings." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
20,533 posts, read 12,438,321 times
Reputation: 93708
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Currently my Mum is reading through my great grandmother's diaries (she passed away a long time ago and left them to my mother) and we are both thoroughly enjoying reading all the little historical gems they contain.
That's great! When my dad's 80-something cousin passed away a few years ago we received some family letters from among her things. They were written in the very early 1900s.

ONe was about a wedding. I still remember that the bride wore a "champagne" dress. (It was a 2nd marriage of a widow and widower, so that's okay. )

The letter described what the family had to eat afterward. I remember one of the items listed was green olives, still a family favorite. Who knew liking green olives was a genetic trait?

Stuff like that is so cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Moku Nui, Hawaii
6,000 posts, read 9,801,474 times
Reputation: 3218
We have "pau hana" potluck every Friday at the park. Pau hana is Hawaiian for "finish work" so it is a good excuse to gather each week and start relaxing for the weekend. For some reason beans and hot dogs has become the signature staple item at our pau hana potlucks. Generally, if we were purists, it should be a Hawaiian food such as laulau or kalua pig or something but someone always takes a turn at bringing the beans and dogs.

We've also had pizza parties where everyone makes their own pizzas. Nacho parties with the same. We've also had summer long ice cream Sundays where each week a new flavor of ice cream would be made and we'd find different ways to figure out who got to turn the handle for the next five minutes. The third person thru the doorway, the next person to use the word "I", the person with the biggest dog, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2009, 04:10 PM
bjh bjh started this thread
Status: "Season's greetings." (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
20,533 posts, read 12,438,321 times
Reputation: 93708
Cool, hotzcatz! I don't know much about native Hawaiin culture. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I'll guess the tourist luaus are no match for the real thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:37 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top