Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboy2454 View Post
i would throw the glass of ice water right on you if you did come back. its people like you that make everyday life miserable Moderator cut: deleted . go to the supermarket and get a salad or something. those waitresses and waiters have to survive on tips and restaurants have to make their margins on drinks so they probably would prefer you didn't come back anyways. now go squeeze your nickels again. doi;d

if your actions in a restaurant setting are as offensive as your attitude in this forum post, i have not one doubt why american servers are beginning to lose their edge in the service industry. don't forget, customers/patrons hit back sometimes. cold water may end up in your face in order to wake you from a one-punch wonder nap.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-10-2009 at 07:09 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,899 times
I never go out to eat unless I know for sure I have enough to pay for my meal and a tip. Servers have to put up with a lot and they get next to nothing for it. I personally have never given a tip below $5, even when that much wasn't necessary.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,346,950 times
Default the unwritten menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballgal View Post
Sadly, I don't think they are capable of that emotion. Not only do they not tip, but they are more than willing to tell everyone, and they seem perversely proud of themselves.

I think it was a book by Anthony Bourdain,Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
that describes some disgusting kitchen shenanigans and how they take care of bad customers. Maybe they need to read that book for some reality checks and valuable life lessons. I think they will treat servers with a tad more respect after a little education. After all, respect is not a one way street.

child, that book will put the fear of the lord in you...from kitchen to service line. as schultz would say, "be very careful...i know nothing! nothing!"

Old 05-31-2009, 04:56 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Truthfully, if I DIDN'T have to leave a $8+ tip every time a $30 combined meal is ordered....we would go out more often. Maybe lower/mid priced restaurants should rethink their policy and simply pay their staff better instead of depending on tips.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,890 times
You leave a tip for bad service? Why a tip is a gratuity to thank the server for a job well done - bad service + a bad tip... if someone chooses to work a job where their income is based on the service they give, then they better do a really good job or not expect anything but the basic compenstation the employer pays them for their time...

Old 06-02-2009, 05:58 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I always leave 20% based on the entire check including tax, unless the service was so-so in which case I adjust downward. If the service is really bad (seldom) I speak to the manager.

I also don't blame the server because the kitchen screwed up or is slow.

I tip on the entire amount, although I will say that if I order a $200 bottle of wine I might only leave 10-15% on that part of the bill depending on how knowledgeable the server was about the wine and if they decanted it, etc.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:33 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
The worst are the senior citizens who don't tip at all and instead leave a pre-printed card that says "I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to leave a tip". They will stiff the waiter even after ordering that second top-shelf cocktail.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:36 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I usually dine all by my lonesome and order a simple meal with ice water, not much service is expected, just bring my food promptly and Im done eating in around 10 minutes, sometimes I dont leave any tips, especially if the food was sub standard and I dont plan on comming back.

I only seldom tip when its a buffet; but i usually tip very well.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
I tip at buffets as well. It depends on exactly what the server does. At a place like Golden Corral I'll leave $2 or so per person, at a nice buffet where they are constantly refreshing drinks and clearing plates and such I'll leave the usual 20%.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:18 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
The second job that I had was a dishwasher in a restaurant. Back then (we're talking dark ages) coffee was thirty cents, and people generally tipped a dime, maybe a little more. Lunch specials were $1.95 with tax.

We had our share of jerkwater McGurks coming in. One time a table of three came in for lunch. We had just hired a waitress, and it was her first job. She was good, though.

One of the busboys remarked to me that this bunch was giving her a hard way to go.They not only did not tip her, but they left without paying. He grabbed me, we ran out the back door and tried to catch them, but couldn't. Came back in the kitchen, and the waitress was crying, could not stop.

People who don't respect other people have no respect for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink