U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 PM

11,704 posts, read 9,963,808 times

Advertisements

I, for one, will not touch any frozen fish from China, and if you go to Wal-Mart you'll see frozen fish after frozen fish coming from China. What gives?

I've been to that country a few times. And on one particular tour, we were shown a typical small agricultural community, and part of the tour included a fish pond. What I saw there was enough for me to never, ever want to eat any fish from that country.

Now, perhaps, where this Wal-Mart fish comes from is much more sanitary and it's overseen by inspectors from Wal-Mart, but, at the same time, knowing how horribly polluted that country is, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Anyone else nervous about buying fish from China or SE Asia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 11:22 PM

13,658 posts, read 8,120,971 times
yep. i'd avoid farmed fish from most of that part of the world.
your topic reminded me of this story:
Is your prawn cocktail toxic? Read this any you may never want to eat one again | Mail Online

it's crazy how much food is from china now. you can't even buy garlic that's not from china.
i picked up a bag of frozen spinach last week - yes, even that was from china.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 PM

5,503 posts, read 14,080,173 times
I'm not buying any food from China, thanks.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:50 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,542,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
I'm not buying any food from China, thanks.
Same here. If it goes in me or on me, it ain't gonna be from China.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:28 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,628,029 times
I do my best to avoid food from China, but it isn't easy these days.

When I want to eat fish, I've gotten to the point where it's faster and easier to go down to the lake for fresh ones than finding something from the US/Europe at a grocery store.

(I cheat a little... I go down to the lake with a cold six-pack and trade it for a couple fish. )

Old 05-20-2009, 04:09 AM

27,237 posts, read 27,174,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I, for one, will not touch any frozen fish from China, and if you go to Wal-Mart you'll see frozen fish after frozen fish coming from China. What gives?

I've been to that country a few times. And on one particular tour, we were shown a typical small agricultural community, and part of the tour included a fish pond. What I saw there was enough for me to never, ever want to eat any fish from that country.

Now, perhaps, where this Wal-Mart fish comes from is much more sanitary and it's overseen by inspectors from Wal-Mart, but, at the same time, knowing how horribly polluted that country is, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Anyone else nervous about buying fish from China or SE Asia?
Agreed, I won't do it. Then again, I don't eat a lot of fish to start with, but the last time I bought any I got Alaska pollock, a whitefish.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:58 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,403,141 times
I don't buy "fresh" or frozen seafood from Walmart at all

Old 05-20-2009, 08:03 AM

20,505 posts, read 6,206,790 times
I am avoiding Everything from China.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,209,389 times
Absolutely not avoiding it. First, I never buy frozen fish. But I have spent several weeks wandering about in the Chinese rural countryside, and eaten things that would turn your stomach in places that would turn your stomach, and the food was delicious, nutritious, and I never suffered any untoward effects from it.

We live in what (I am told) is the freest nation on earth, and the most valuable freedom we have is freedom from fear. Why invent things to be afraid of?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:46 AM

5,015 posts, read 3,027,748 times
I do not buy anything from China, Mexico or Taiwan period.

As much as possible I buy local and regional, Organic & Free Range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink