Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 05:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,292,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
A canner I was about to buy said on the box that some glass top stoves don't provide sufficient heat for safe canning. A more expensive canner next to it (not a pressure canner, just another regular pot style) didn't say anything about a problem with glass top stoves. Anyone have one and accomplish successful (safe!) canning? Thanks.
The first question is... what kind of stove is it? Glass top is merely a style. Three different kinds of electric stoves are made in glass top styles... coil heat, halogen heat, and induction... and each model has different specifications. You need to start with the instructions and recommendations from the manufacturer. If you don't have the book, you can find them online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 05:47 PM

41,747 posts, read 74,742,297 times
Read the manual and see if canning is or isn't recommended by the stove's manufacturer. That's the first consideration. Some burners will adjust temperature so that the stove won't get too hot, and with water bath canning you have to keep a rolling boil.

Second, the pot you can in has to have a flat bottom, and should not extend past the burner more than one inch the whole way around. If you have one of those stoves with the giant super burner, this usually isn't an issue. But some glass surfaces may crack with the heat trapped under the canner.

If you have any other questions, just ask. And visit the canning thread in the recipes forum!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 PM

1 posts, read 19,074 times
I don't know what the fus is about, I do all types of things on my glasstop. I do water bath canning on the big front burner without a flat bottom, during regular open kettle canning, I have all 4 burners going for lids, jars, and whatever i'm canning at the time. I also cast iron pans for EVERYTHING besides canning. I've been doing this for the last 5 years without problems and I even slide ALL pots ond pans around on the stove.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,292,706 times
I'll add the same comments here that I did on another recent thread about the same thing...

There are actually three different kinds of stove* which have glass tops, and the directions are a bit different for each, as well as for different models. It is best to consult the manual for your specific unit. And if you have lost the paper booklet, you can usually find the manual online at the manufacturers website.

*The three different kinds use resistance heating, halogen heating, or induction heating.

In resistance heating, glowing red coils under the glass heat up. It's very much like a conventional electric stove except that there's a special glass over the top for looks and cleanliness. These are generally the least expensive.

In halogen heating, there's a heating element inside a gas filled glass bulb, like a specialized lightbulb, that is under a glass top. These are generally mid-priced.

In induction heating, there's a magnetic coil under the glass, and the heat is generated in the iron or ferro-steel pan itself, above the glass, rather than under the glass. These are typically the most expensive, but also perform the best, with quick and sensitive control, similar to a gas stove.

Each type has different directions for use, which is why it is important to know which kind you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink