Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 01:02 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
I don't have a high tolerance for this. I get that not everyone enjoys everything, but there are people who are just a little over the top, to the point of being offensive.

This was a problem in my relationships with men who had kids. I've been asked to cook 2 or three meals to accomodate the little princes and princesses who normally got what they wanted. Newsflash, in my home, they eat what I cook or they don't eat.

It's even more annoying when an adult does this. Kids do what they are taught and what they can get away with. But as adults, we should learn that the world does not have to accomodate us (at least some of us do). When I cook a meal and they are picking out the parsley and the onions, or whatever else it is they don't like - I want to reach over the table and slap them. They are not invited again.

How do you handle this? What do you do when someone cooks something you don't like?
I eat it. When I was growing up, you might not even HAVE a meal the next day, so you appreciated whatever you got. In my relationships, we do talk about things that each of us don't like to eat, and we don't cook those things. But if I were to go somewhere and they were giving me FREE food, I couldn't see a reason to complain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:25 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
So waht about people like me that pick apart..well...everything? I dont like my food touching, so when I have a sandwhich, I eat the bread first, then the meat, etc. Is this rude? Ive done it since childhood, and hardly notice when I do it now.
I would expect that an adult person would know when it is appropriate to eat in their own quirky fashion and when it is not. Perhaps others prefer not to use utensils when they eat. That is fine in their own home but I would expect at someone else's home or in public, utensils would be used.

ETA: I cannot imagine going out to a high-end steak house (Ruths Cris etc), and spending well over $100 on a nice anniversary dinner, only to find myself sitting next to someone who picked up their filet mignon or their garlic mashed potatoes with their fingers because they just didn't care for utensils. Same thing.

BTW How do you handle lasagna?

Last edited by maciesmom; 05-25-2009 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Sheesh - I go away overnight and you guys add 6 pages to this thread! Only skimmed it but the most disturbing thing I read was something about "saying no to bacon". I certainly hope no one is advocating that - it's just wrong! The world would be a better place if we all had a little bacon in our lives

Old 05-25-2009, 01:44 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You know, I was going to say the same thing - because of our friends, who cook differently than I do, my kids have had so many culinary opportunities - they have tried sushi, sashimi, tofu, a variety of Italian and Korean food as well as vegetarian fare I would not have even known about. When DD spent her spring break volunteering in the Dominican Republic she had the opportunity to try both goat and lamb meat as well as some fruits that she hadn't ever tried before. My kids can both be gracious guests in homes of people who have different culinary cultures. I believe these manners will serve them well throughout their lives.
It's the same for my children. We have a wide variety of cuisines represented in our group as well and we travel extensively - often together. No one has ever gotten their feelings hurt over having to deal with a food intolerance, allergy or even a dislike. It's great! I guess maybe we are just a laidback group. Now if the alcohol ever ran out during one of our girl's weekends or couples weeks in Mexico, there may be drama...

Old 05-25-2009, 01:46 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,121,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Sheesh - I go away overnight and you guys add 6 pages to this thread! Only skimmed it but the most disturbing thing I read was something about "saying no to bacon". I certainly hope no one is advocating that - it's just wrong! The world would be a better place if we all had a little bacon in our lives
Paula Dean! Is that you???

Old 05-25-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Some religions have dietary restrictions. I don't belong to one of those...but if my girlfriend did...not sure how that would affect ME. Could I go OUT and have bacon? Or would that offend?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:14 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Some religions have dietary restrictions. I don't belong to one of those...but if my girlfriend did...not sure how that would affect ME. Could I go OUT and have bacon? Or would that offend?
Well, you see, bacon isn't "really" pork. It's its own blessed category of deliciousness. I'm Jewish and I say it's alright. Besides, we don't have heaven or hell so how much of an eternal problem could it be? IF you get yourself a Jewish girlfriend and she gets all frum about bacon, just send her to me and I'll set her straight. Either that or she'll have to hit the road. Seriously. Now, a Muslim girl, I might not be able to be quite as persuasive, but it's worth a try. Yours in schmaltzy goodness, toos

Old 05-25-2009, 02:23 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,848,116 times
Thank heavens for levity from Toosie.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:24 PM

LOL...see how I did that up there? It's okay if she doesn't want it cooked in her kitchen and her pots, but I never said I was giving it up! Well, maybe, I'll decide that when it comes to it. If I came home with ham on my breath, how would she know if she'd never eaten it before?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:59 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
So waht about people like me that pick apart..well...everything? I dont like my food touching, so when I have a sandwhich, I eat the bread first, then the meat, etc. Is this rude? Ive done it since childhood, and hardly notice when I do it now.
What do you think? You go out to lunch with a bunch of adults, maybe coworkers or your boss and there you are, picking your sandwich apart, eating it bit by bit, first the pickles, then the lettuce, then the cheese, and then the crust around the outside of the bread, and so on.

Do you think you'll get promoted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink