Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:13 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I feel like A1 and sometimes I don't. It's my business as to what I like and don't like and not the chef's. Steak out is usually reserved for very special occassions. Where we go it is offered but not needed. I've been know to blend A1 with 57 and create my own. I have an ornery streak when anyone tells me how I should fix and eat my food..I don't push my taste buds on anyone and demand and expect the same respect out of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 12:40 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I like the thought of bringing in your own steak sauce. After all, people sneak candy into movies.

This topic brings to mind experiences that show some of the irony of marketing v. quality imo.

Within the past six months I had steak in restaurants 3 times.

1. Very pricey place - the steak was good, but not great - cost $25 - on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 7.

2. Middle of the road - better than the pricey place, cost $15 - on a scale of 1-10: 8

3. Low price chain, okay, it was a Bonanza - had a $10 sirloin and it was great. On a scale of 1-10: 10.

Seems in the pricey place you're paying lots for decor and super-attentive service. I'd rather have better food for a lower price with adequate service.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:58 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
I like the thought of bringing in your own steak sauce. After all, people sneak candy into movies.

This topic brings to mind experiences that show some of the irony of marketing v. quality imo.

Within the past six months I had steak in restaurants 3 times.

1. Very pricey place - the steak was good, but not great - cost $25 - on a scale of 1-10, I'd give it a 7.

2. Middle of the road - better than the pricey place, cost $15 - on a scale of 1-10: 8

3. Low price chain, okay, it was a Bonanza - had a $10 sirloin and it was great. On a scale of 1-10: 10.

Seems in the pricey place you're paying lots for decor and super-attentive service. I'd rather have better food for a lower price with adequate service.
Well it depends on the individual. You could give some people the best most fresh fish in the country and their going to swear fishsticks are better.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:46 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
Once in a while I am served a steak that has little or no flavor and wish I could use some steak sauce on it.

I think it should be an option, even if I need to be protected from my own bad habits once in a while.

Funny thing is, I return to those places that are customer oriented and don't make those decisions for me. My favorite diner, the Blue Benn in Bennington, VT has steak sauce and a variety of other condiments on every table. They are not afraid their customers won't approve of the way they prepare a dish. They just want us happy.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I like it with out but where I live it is offered or you can ask for it.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 AM

4,343 posts, read 3,556,027 times
I don't think it should ever be out of style. Different people do different things and so, too, are people's taste buds, so you have to have choices.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:38 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Looks like the consensus is--ask your server. A1 seems to be most popular, though I have seen restaurants use Lea & Perrins.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
I think they did that and were told it isn't offered. Bring your own or visit a restaurant that doesn't have a steak sauce snob-factor.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:38 PM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyLane2 View Post
There are all kinds of really good sauces that you can put on a nice steak which will enhance the flavor of the meat, but IMHO A-1 and H-57 are not included . Sometimes I like a little red wine mushroom sauce, or a good gorgonzola sauce, or a shiitake cream sauce, or just a little lemon butter sauce. Usually in a really nice restaurant you can order some type of sauce. Maybe you should tuck your own bottle of steak sauce in your purse/briefcase .
I want to come to your house for dinner!

Old 06-01-2009, 05:14 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I recently traveled to Boston and ate at some fine restaurants and ordered steak. I attempted to get some steak sauce for my food and was told that they did not offer any.

Steak sauce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

First I thought it might be a Boston thing but later I determined that other places I had ate at in other towns had told me the same thing. I always liked my steak better with steak sauce even at fine dining establishments with great steaks.

What do you think about asking for steak sauce at a nice restaurant?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it! I love A1. I can understand fine restaurants not putting the bottles out but not having them available at all?

Here in Michigan, every steak place I've been to has steak sauce, and the fancy restaurants will bring you a bottle if you ask for it. There's probably exceptions.

One thing I've noticed, at least here, is that a horseradish type of sauce has become increasingly popular to use on steak instead of traditonal A1 or Heinz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink