U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 03:37 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,484,302 times

Advertisements

Well, kind of an odd question I guess, but I was curious to poster's experiences with moonshine. I've had it on a few different occasions, the first was years ago in high school (actually, after class in the high school parking lot). My buddy had cooked up some blackberry moonshine, and it was actually pretty good. So, has white lightning been good to you? There are obviously dangers associated with moonshine (blindness is one example), but that's not very common. Any moonshine stories? I'm genuinely curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 05:12 AM

15,343 posts, read 27,534,547 times
Google the name "Popcorn Sutton" he was a local moonshiner for many years up until his recent death. I think he has something on youtube also.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:15 AM

16,584 posts, read 33,762,814 times
Years ago I used to visit an old couple back in a remote canyon. I'd buy honey from them and sit on the porch visiting with them while drinking old fashioned percolated coffee spiked with their homemade moonshine.

Yin and yang... the hit from the caffeine coexisting with the slam from the ethyl alcohol. I'd usually end up half ****faced. Or more than half. Good times.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:49 AM

43 posts, read 99,106 times
Last year, at The University of the South, I stumbled into a dorm room where two locals where sipping moonshine. I had been drinking whiskey and beer all night (among other things) and was down like a clown on the fourth of July to take a pull. They kept on shaking it and showing me the bubbles, exclaiming that it was "the real sh**t." I grabbed the bottle and took a fat pull. The liquid felt like gasoline going down my throat. I felt it go all the way to my stomach, hit bottom, and head on back up. I do not think the stuff sat in my stomach for more than two seconds. Needless to say I threw up in the trash can that they were using as a cooler. At this point, a fire alarm went off in the building. The dudes had been smoking illicit things in the room, which I was apart of. I was already on social probation and did not need any more trouble. I looked at my buddy. No words were exchanged. We took off. It was an interesting experience. There will be another day for moonshine, that day is not coming anytime soon.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
I tassted it in the miltary in tennesse. Its bascially like Everclear pure grain alochol . I don't drink much and didn't care for iut really. The alos had some first off the still which they called some type of berr. It bascially was much weaker.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM

24,996 posts, read 23,900,059 times
I had 'shine a few times when I lived in North Carolina. The neighbors used to get some from their family in Virginia who bought it from the guy who made it. The ladies would put a touch in a tall mixed drink; the guys would nip at it straight. The first time that I tried it, it was straight. Wow! That stuff has got to double as paint thinner.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:49 PM

3,885 posts, read 7,356,248 times
It's bad. Just bad. And you can't walk after a few shots.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:54 PM

10,543 posts, read 12,010,643 times
I've had it a couple of times. I had a good time, but can't say it tasted good.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:55 AM

4,010 posts, read 8,943,624 times
Yeah, decent moonshine is going to be 198 proof or thereabouts. Compare that to most hard liquor which is usually around 80 - 120 proof. Even Everclear is only around 150 though I have heard of a 195 version that you can't get in most places. Beer is 6 to 12 proof.

You know it is the real stuff if it burns when you drink it. Correction, sip it. Nobody drinks moonshine unless they want a visit to the trashcan like the guy posted above. lol I had a roommate in college that used to bring back a mason jar of it each week. He kept it in the freezer where it would not freeze, it just got real cold. I could never handle more than a shot glass full. My grandfather ran a still during prohibition. When WWII came and they rationed gasoline, he would mix it with the gas 50 50 to double his ration. It's potent stuff.

Moonshine on it's own does not cause blindness. However there are people who will distill it in car radiators which puts a lot of lead and other contaminents in it that will cause this. Make sure you know where it comes from before you drink it.

Last edited by lumbollo; 06-06-2009 at 07:04 AM..

Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,138 times
i am only 18 and have been running a still since i was 13. my whiskey has always been clear and clean with no problems. except the time my best friend hit the jug too hard and ended up sleeping with the special ed teacher from our school. i am still proud of that batch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink