Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 12:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
So, in other words, their definition of fancy is "flavorful".
Well yes, probably.

I guess I liken it to having an undeveloped palate. (a bit like a child)

It's all about basic food and basic seasonings and probably explains their fascination with Apricot Chicken **shudder**

If you want a lesson in how to cook 1950s style you can't go past my Nan, she's brilliant, but don't be hoping for anything more exotic. My maternal Grandmother and my Mum are much better in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 04:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
So, in other words, their definition of fancy is "flavorful".

I can't even imagine life without garlic or onions for that matter ... If it doesn't have garlic in it, it probably doesn't get cooked in my house much.

Same with herbs, and spices, I would be totally lost without them.

A lot of people seem to equate simple qith plain which to me are two different things. Italian and French food for example are mostly very simple dishes based on Regional "peasant" dishes and yet packed full of subtle flavours and textures.

Plain to me is 1950s style English food, boiled meats ( over-cooked) , 3 veg ( boiled and way overcooked) with no seasoning and a complete disregard for flavour , textures and tastes.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:16 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I like what I like, but if someone else's tastes are different, it's no skin off my nose.

I don't like canned soup, but if someone adores Campbell's Chicken Noodle, who am I to judge? Now, if said someone is complaining about salt intake while downing a bowl of the stuff, I might speak up.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:01 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
I can make do with the gamut. I must say in all honesty the worst food I ever had was from a 5 star joint....I don't like raw lobster....

I love hot and spicy and there are very few veggies I don't really like. I love to experiment. But food snob no way. I have no qualms about a fish sandwich on the run from Micky D's....I to well remember when a hamburger and frech fries were a luxury during the great depression. I can survive another one too. Easy times and easy money may tend to allow for us to get a little to picky for our on good....

Old 06-01-2009, 08:37 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
No, I don't feel like a food snob and don't think I come across as one, either. I do appreciate a wide range of flavors and cooking styles and love to try new ingredients and preparations.

Sometimes there's nothing better than a blue plate special from a greasy spoon or a regional treat from a roadside shack. Oh hell, there's rarely anything better than that! On the other hand, I can appreciate "fine" ingredients and prep and understand how it differs from plainer or processed fare.

That said, expensive does not necessarily equal the highest quality food or dining experience and it does sort of drive me crazy when people fall into that trap. Also, if someone likes Olive Garden (for reasons beyond my ability to comprehend) then that's fine. But, if that person thinks Olive Garden is the finest example of Italian cooking...? Not. OK, so I have a personal hatred for OG. However, I make up for it by loving Taco Bell's double decker tacos

Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I will eat almost anything which is put in front of me but I still think I am a bit of a food snob I'm afraid because the things I truly enjoy are made with the best of ingredients.

It does not have to be fussy food ( though I love fine Gastronomy too) but I much perfer food which is organic ( especially vegetables and fruits where you can really taste the difference) , seasonal, meat which is humanely reared , seafood I know the provenance of and I try to buy fair-trade when available. It usually costs more so I eat less of some stuff like meat and fish but better quality when I do.

I can be really picky about things like Chocolate where I pretty much only really like the really dark and bitter Swiss or Belgian stuff ( Hershey's or Cadbury's is my idea of chocolate hell), breads ( artisan bread cannot even be compared to the sliced stuff you get in supermarket), cheeses, butter etc.. . I never really enjoy fast food or processed foods that much , it always tastes fake and chemical , is usually over salty, over-sweet or over fatty. I'll eat it but it won't taste as nice and be as enjoyable.

I have no problems with some canned foods as some of it is good , same with frozen products, it really all depends on the context, but sadly in general you get what you pay for.

Anyone who has had a real roasted chicken from a free-range farm or free-range eggs will I am sure agree with me that they don't belong on the same gastro planet as the factory stuff.

Despite all this though, I eat pretty much anything but if I have a real choice I tend to be more fussy. Good food has to start to start with great ingedients. It is simple common sense really.

I was brought up to eat anything put in front of me pretty much but also surroudned by people who were great cooks and I was fortunate to be taken out to restaurants all over the world from Babyhood so accordingly I am used to a wide variety of food tastes and textures.

I hate cooking but love eating ! I cook most days out of necessity but should I win the lottery I would probably never use the kitchen ever again and be out lunch and dinner every day.
What she said!!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:40 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,711,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Ditto.

I can't stand holier-than-thou food fetishists and try not to fit that description, but I do prefer fresh food, and I *try* to buy organic and locally grown.
YUP! I was gonna write almost the same thing!!! On a regular basis, I can't afford to be a food snob. I have 3 kids (4 in the summer when my step son comes) and frankly, can't afford to be too snobby. However, I do like to go out and eat, and take them. We like to try all different things and flavors, even here @ home.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:11 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Yes, I guess we are in that category. I wouldn't call ourselves "food snobs", but the one thing we have never skimped on even when the kids were living at home was good quality meats, fish, vegetables & fruits. We will cut back on going out and other things but never on food. If it going into our body I want it to be nutritious and delicious.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
Now that barbeque season has come upon us again, I'm reminded that I'm definitely a food snob.
Boyfriend and I grill all the time. We aren't big on cooking and complicated recipes, but love grilling all sorts of delicious food, and it's not necessarily "exotic." We like filet mignon, shark steaks, kabobs, scallops wrapped in bacon, swordfish, salmon, steak fajitas. I experiment with marinades, reductions, and grill different color peppers, pineapples, etc.

Then we get invited to family functions for a barbeque, and we're appalled because it's just burgers and hot dogs. One night he and I are grilling sea base with mango salsa, and the next night we're at his family's house eating pre-formed grocery store burgers or ball park franks, and our only seasoning options are ketchup & mustard. Not even spicy-seedy-crunchy-gourmet mustard, but the yellow squeezy stuff. Their big "gourmet" thing was some disgusting squeezy bottle combo of mustard & relish in the same bottle and artifically colored. Yech.

Even if we do burgers at home, we buy good quality hamburger and knead in some herbs and bleu cheese and bacon, or cheddar, onions, and cilantro. And we buy actual rolls, not those ones from a bag!

On Memorial Day, we sent our regrets (excuses) to the families and did some REAL grilling in our own back yard. We were like "Yep, we're food snobs." But we're fine with it.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:56 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
My fiance is a food snob. I'm probably a food ****. I eat nearly anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink