Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:36 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have a list of untouchables too - cool whip and flavored coffee creamer are two of them.
Those are on my list, too. Fake dairy is one thing I just can't do. In fact, I won't even eat/drink fat-free dairy products. The taste and consistency are all off, and I don't believe dairy fat is the devil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:39 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,846,327 times
MIL brought the infamous green bean thing when my father visited the US the first time. He was rather particular about food. Quietly he took me aside and asked if he has to eat "that". The answer was no but do it nicely. Not to mention he was a charmer!

Moderation seems to be the key for us. There is nothing wrong with frozen pizza or boxed pasta.

You like box potatoes or you are in a hurry - fine! You pour a jar of sauce over pasta - fine!

Growing up with a food family in Europe and SO slipping in there just nicely did not make things easy sometimes in our US locations. Food snobs - no! Enjoying good food - hello here!

Old 02-09-2018, 12:43 PM

343 posts, read 229,561 times
I don't think I am. I actually struggle with a love/ hate relationship with food. Most of the time if my husband didn't cook on weeknights I'd be happy to eat a can of progresso soup just because it only takes one small pot and is easy. My own soup is going to be better (soup is my special love) but it's going to make many more dishes for me to wash and take much more time. If my husband is travelling and not home for a week I'm very happy to have a sandwich and eat something simple for those days. If I could swallow a little pill and not need food to function I'd gladly do that 5 out of 7 days of the week. I frequently resent the fact that I need food and I skip a lot of meals due to being busy or stressed which is not fantastic because I get low blood sugar if I don't eat. I know a lot of people eat more when stressed or sad but I eat much much less. It's just too easy for me to forget about food or not care about food.

But, when I cook I want fresh ingredients and I spend time and love on the food. I like to shop at farm markets or grow my own. I don't think it's snobbery. It's more of being in the moment and feeling connected to some old idea of nourishing myself and others and the physical sensation of handling food- snapping asparagus spears, de-boning a chicken etc. I enjoy these things. I'll use frozen veggies or canned veggies and boxed stock on weeknights and won't complain but there is a satisfaction that comes from making something from scratch the way my grandma or my mom made it. I have nothing from my grandmother other than what I learned from her about food.

I don't eat fast food though unless I'm travelling. Going from NJ to SC for example- I'm going to stop at a burger king somewhere. Mostly because I will want to pee and need to buy food to get away with using the restroom. Is that snobbish? I can live with that if it is!

Old 02-09-2018, 12:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
I have a list of untouchables too - cool whip and flavored coffee creamer are two of them.

As far as processed foods - I mean the ones that have a lot of junk in them like high fructose corn syrup, soybean oil or a multitude of chemicals I can't pronounce. I'm well aware that some of those actually make the food taste better and some help preserve it so we don't get sick, I would just prefer not to ingest them if I can.
I've got a list of untouchables, but most of it is because of allergies my daughter and I have developed in the last couple years. I've had to get really specific about my ingredients, down to particular brands. Sometimes I have to go to a couple of stores to get everything I need. I take pictures of everything I use regularly, so I can text my husband a picture and he can get exactly the right item if I don't go to the store with him.

There's a lot of unnecessary junk added to most food and it's labeled to sound like it's good for you sometimes.

The one thing I use that always seems out of place with the rest of my groceries is lard. My sister is a food snob and can't believe that I cook with lard, but I can't use shortening and I still want flour tortillas sometimes.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I've got a list of untouchables, but most of it is because of allergies my daughter and I have developed in the last couple years. I've had to get really specific about my ingredients, down to particular brands. Sometimes I have to go to a couple of stores to get everything I need. I take pictures of everything I use regularly, so I can text my husband a picture and he can get exactly the right item if I don't go to the store with him.

There's a lot of unnecessary junk added to most food and it's labeled to sound like it's good for you sometimes.

The one thing I use that always seems out of place with the rest of my groceries is lard. My sister is a food snob and can't believe that I cook with lard, but I can't use shortening and I still want flour tortillas sometimes.
They sell lard in big buckets at the Mexican grocery here during tamale making season. I wish I could buy a small amount of it- the Armour brand they sell at the grocery has partially-hydrogenated lard in it - why on earth would they mess with something like that! I did make my own beef tallow awhile back. It's sitting in a jar in my fridge and I keep forgetting to use it. Man, it would have gone really well with those home fries this morning!

Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
Quote:
DirtGrinder's post on boxed scalloped potatoes got me to thinking about this. I'm a food snob and I'm not proud of it. Sometimes it's to my detriment. Like the year I decided to make my Thanksgiving green bean casserole from scratch - fresh green beans, homemade cream of mushroom soup and some little fried shallots for the top. It's not like I didn't have enough to do already (I was cooking the whole meal). Would it have killed me to use a bag of frozen beans, a can of Campbell's soup and some French's onion rings? My husband is the only one who likes it anyway and I'm not sure he would have cared.

I don't know how I got here other than the fact that I love to cook and we started eliminating all processed foods several years back. My husband has survived cancer twice and it just seemed to be the prudent thing to do. I found that I really liked making things from scratch and I prefer the taste (mostly).

And just for the record - I don't judge anyone else for not doing what I do (or liking boxed scalloped potatoes, lol). Someone mentioned food snobbery as a pet peeve on the other thread - so I thought I'd ask what constitutes a food snob and do you consider yourself one?

Not a food snob exactly but do make most things from scratch....never make casseroles or use cans of cream soup, use only the freshest ingredients, nothing out of cans except beans etc. Typically I buy around 20 different fresh veggies when shopping...

Or does that indicate a food snob? I don't have a problem with those who cook or eat differently that I do...

Old 02-09-2018, 01:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Snobbery is the leveraging of knowledge and/or opinion to pass judgement on the taste of others.

But snobs frame their snobbery as objective superiority. This is especially laughable when their knowlege of the subject is limited, or their opinion bold-facedly subjective.

Some people mistake their snobbery for connoiseurship. I have heard people proudly call themselves beer snobs because they don't drink lagers, categorically. Or wine snobs who, instead of simply not preferring a particular varietal, vocalize their low opinions of people who do.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Not a food snob exactly but do make most things from scratch....never make casseroles or use cans of cream soup, use only the freshest ingredients, nothing out of cans except beans etc. Typically I buy around 20 different fresh veggies when shopping...

Or does that indicate a food snob? I don't have a problem with those who cook or eat differently that I do...
How long do those 20 different fresh veggies last you? I'm intrigued! Give me an idea of what you buy.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Snobbery is the leveraging of knowledge and/or opinion to pass judgement on the taste of others.

But snobs frame their snobbery as objective superiority. This is especially laughable when their knowlege of the subject is limited, or their opinion bold-facedly subjective.

Some people mistake their snobbery for connoiseurship. I have heard people proudly call themselves beer snobs because they don't drink lagers, categorically. Or wine snobs who, instead of simply not preferring a particular varietal, vocalize their low opinions of people who do.
That's a good definition. I don't judge people for what they choose to eat or how they cook and I don't like it when a beer snob ridicules me for drinking Miller Lite or a vegetarian chastises me for eating meat. To each his own I say!

Old 02-09-2018, 01:38 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,094,510 times
Yes, I'm definitely a food snob, but it's strictly personal. I don't judge other people for their food choices. I, like you, will hurt myself when cooking holiday meals because I MUST use fresh ingredients. It's funny, because after getting married, my husband's family complained that my green beans were "too hard." LOL I will only use fresh green beans and after blanching, I sauté them with olive oil, shallots, garlic and pork belly. They were accustomed to canned green beans and just weren't used to the crunch of fresh green beans.

I'm also one of those annoying restaurant snobs who is particular about restaurants, as well. The older I got and familiarized myself with cooking, the more selective I became.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink