Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 03:27 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Have you been around people who go on and on about their "fantastic pasta sauces" or their "to die for" pies or ??? People like this use every opportunity to "toot their own horn" and "beat their own drum." ....They hand friends and family members "unsollicited advice" about "where to shop" and "what to buy" and which restaurants are the "very best" etc....They are self-proclaimed "experts" about everything...even cooking....They "butt-in" and brag and boast about "the best way to do things" according to their so-called expertise....Have you ever been around people like this?
I always let other people brag on my cooking.
I just stay in the kitchen with a glass of wine and listen......
I do love to cook, though, and if someone asks my advice, I will help as much as I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 03:40 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,215 times
I'm not a food snob though I am accused of being just that! I eat bologna sandwiches. I love pot roast. I'm black and I eat fried chicken in public (only a few people here will understand that). I'm southern so I eat poke salad, rutabagas, neckbones, etc... I come from a long line of common folk on both sides of my family. But I can also appreciate dishes that aren't native to my upbringing.

I will NOT tolerate bad food, though. Bad rutabagas is just that. Bad anything is just bad anything. Don't accuse me of being a snob when you just can't cook!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:48 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
It depends what we're talking about and a question of degree. With some things I think there's a huge diff between the chepa and pricey/"fancy" stuff, but with others it's well overblown and mostly about perception, ie buying the cool, "snobby" thing (advertisers LOVE people who get off on that ).

Also there's a diff between what I prefer and what I'm willing to settle for on any given day. I love just about all food of all ethnicities and appreciate fine dining, but living alone and being unemployed, keep it simple these days...eg most of my lunches are a salad along with a simple sandwich or perhaps something like a bratwurst or even (gasp) a hot dog. Dinners are more varied but also pretty basic. Not amazing, but taste fine, are quick, economical, and fairly healthy to boot. I rarely buy fresh produce due to a combo of cost and hassle (main exception is lettuce or spinach leaves for salads) - also studies have come out saying the nutritional diff between fresh and frozen (and sometimes even canned) is minimal/overblown. Plus I still mix it up here and there with something like Chinese or Thai or Mexican or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
And the interesting point here is that it does not have to be anything "chic/fancy": even a simple bowl of chicken soup or a homemade apple pie will deserve all compliments and be some of the best dishes ever.
Not necessarily. Made-from-scratch meals are no guarantee of quality - I've had some which frankly weren't very good at all - and some pre-mixed/pre-made meals can be very good. Again, it depends on the specifics and perception is huge regarding food.

Old 06-20-2010, 04:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,211,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Have you been around people who brag and boast about their cooking? YUK....It can sure get annoying at times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
What annoys me most is when they are the self proclaimed expert and refuse to consider any other perspective. This is especially true when they have personal likes and dislikes and they insist that everyone agree with them.
Agree on both counts. People who have this "oh you have to use X ingredient" or "I only use fresh (whatever)" etc etc and act like doing less is so low-class or revolting or whatever. If that's their thing, fine, but spare us the "there's my opinion and the wrong one" BS. Tastes in food (pardon the play on words) is subjective. Just because they - or I, btw - don't find something appealing doesn't mean it isn't.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:15 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,269 times
I agree with the previous post. Everyone has different tastes and standards.

The quality of ingredients, and the amount of artificial components, however, has direct results in the quality of the final product, that is, the dish.

Regarding the homemade versus prepackaged stuff another poster mentioned quoting me, please read my first phrase on a previous post:

This is just my opinion, so if others don't agree that is perfectly fine with me - if one spends quite a long time/effort preparing something (and it obviously turns out delicious if one has skills/time/good ingredients), people will compliment the cook and appreciate his/her effort much more than the pre-mix-5 minute-thing.

It is not the fact that something is homemade only, it is the combination skills/time/ingredients. Some flavors you just cannot find in a box, fancy dish or simple dish. But that is just my opinion.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:21 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,051,765 times
What gets at me is someone will post a recipe that looks like it would be good and someone else will try the recipe but change all the ingredients making it a completely different recipe and replay back that they didn't like the recipe.

busta

Old 06-20-2010, 05:28 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
When I was young, there were times when the only kind of sandwich I could have was a mayo sandwich. We didn't have meat, cheese, or other sandwich stuff. Couldn't afford it at the time. We stretched our meals with rice. If there were left over rice from the night before, we'd cook some fried eggs and put them with the leftover rice for "eggs and rice". We got the eggs from my uncle's farm. He raised fighting roosters so he always had plenty of hens and eggs. Just had to be careful cracking open the eggs. I lived for years as a single guy,...8 of those years in the Navy. You food snobs would just love Navy chow. I once had a chicken breast with grey meat. We loved the ravioli from a can on the ship cause the cooks didn't cook it. They just reheated the stuff. Fresh ingredients do make a better meal but I won't turn my nose away from a box meal. I've made a pretty good beef vegetable soup from canned and frozen vegetables. In one of my favorite books, there's a line some of you should remember as you turn your nose to other people's food,..."hunger is the best sauce". When you've truly been hungry, you'll know the truth of that saying.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:50 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
When I was young, there were times when the only kind of sandwich I could have was a mayo sandwich. We didn't have meat, cheese, or other sandwich stuff. Couldn't afford it at the time. We stretched our meals with rice. If there were left over rice from the night before, we'd cook some fried eggs and put them with the leftover rice for "eggs and rice". We got the eggs from my uncle's farm. He raised fighting roosters so he always had plenty of hens and eggs. Just had to be careful cracking open the eggs. I lived for years as a single guy,...8 of those years in the Navy. You food snobs would just love Navy chow. I once had a chicken breast with grey meat. We loved the ravioli from a can on the ship cause the cooks didn't cook it. They just reheated the stuff. Fresh ingredients do make a better meal but I won't turn my nose away from a box meal. I've made a pretty good beef vegetable soup from canned and frozen vegetables. In one of my favorite books, there's a line some of you should remember as you turn your nose to other people's food,..."hunger is the best sauce". When you've truly been hungry, you'll know the truth of that saying.
Right on...Well said...Thanks for sharing your background and experiences and views on the subject.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:42 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,056,503 times
I've definitely become a food snob. Cooking is not that difficult, and I don't understand why more people don't prepare a variety of fresh foods at home instead of dining out so much or eating pre-packaged stuff that's loaded with sodium and carbs. The basics are simple, and there are recipes for everything imaginable online. I wish more people would give from-scratch cooking a try. I'm sure that many, if they took that first step, would find that they actually enjoy it. No reason to be intimidated!

Easy for me to say, I guess, because I've always been a good cook. Mom taught me well because her mother refused to let her in the kitchen when she was growing up.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I've definitely become a food snob. Cooking is not that difficult, and I don't understand why more people don't prepare a variety of fresh foods at home instead of dining out so much or eating pre-packaged stuff that's loaded with sodium and carbs. The basics are simple, and there are recipes for everything imaginable online. I wish more people would give from-scratch cooking a try. I'm sure that many, if they took that first step, would find that they actually enjoy it. No reason to be intimidated!

Easy for me to say, I guess, because I've always been a good cook. Mom taught me well because her mother refused to let her in the kitchen when she was growing up.
Two reasons, time and money. I work rotating shifts at the hospital. Here's my shift rotation schedule. Tuesday starts the 11pm-7am shift for 7 days straight, off Tuesday and Wednesday, Thursday 3pm-11pm for 7 days straight, off Thursday and Friday, Saturday 7am-3pm for 6 days straight, off Friday-Monday, repeat rotation. My wife tries to cook from scratch when her back and leg pain allows her to do so. It's cheaper to buy a bag of frozen chicken breast and bake or panfry them as needed than to regularly head to the store for fresh chicken. Canned vegetables are handy because they're always ready for a meal instead of going bad in the pantry or having to run to the store for fresh items. Boxed meals aren't as good as fresh but they're not bad to have once in a while. 20 minutes and you have a meal with little work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink