Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:27 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times

Advertisements

thank you all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 02:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Why do deli meats like ham and turkey, get slimy after a week in the refrigerator?!

At that point, I have to assume that they're bad--is this a good assumption?

Old 09-02-2010, 02:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Here is what the USDA has to say about the danger zone;
How Temperatures Affect Food

Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Why do deli meats like ham and turkey, get slimy after a week in the refrigerator?!

That's the test I use. Feels slimy out it goes.

Old 09-03-2010, 02:18 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,252,625 times
Here's an easy idea to cut the worry. I bought a chest that is the size of a common medium-size ice chest, only it plugs in to the cigarette lighter. I can't remember the cost now, but it was around $60. Put your cold stuff in there and don't worry anymore.

Read the instructions on these! The ones I've seen caution not to put ice in them.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,222 times
Most grocery stores use open refrigerators cooler for products listed below, that could not maintain below 40ºF, I don't think they restock every 2 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The Two-Hour Rule - very conservative approach

Danger Zone is between 4ºC (40ºF) and 40ºC (140ºF)

Most food held above 4ºC /40ºF for more than 2 hours should be discarded. This includes meat, poultry, seafood, hot dogs, luncheon meats, pizza, soft cheese, shredded cheease, low fat cheese, milk, yogourt, eggs, cut-up fresh fruit, fish sauces, hoisin sauce, opened creamy based dressings and spaghetti sauce, cooked pasta, fresh pasta, cream filled pastry, pre-cut, pre-washed packaged greens, cooked vegetables, opened vegetable juices. Opened mayonnaise, tartar sauce and horseradish should be discarded if held above 10ºC /50ºF for more than 8 hours.
Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education

Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Corned beef, like bacon, is a pre-cured product that has a virtually infinite shelf life, unrefrigerated. That's why it's corned---it's a preservative process. How do you think the prospectors and cattle drovers in the old west kept their bacon refrigerated for weeks? Sailing ships crossed the ocean with barrels of corned beef.

Your frozen patties were very likely still frozen in the middle when you got home, which by itself would have kept the thawed outer parts at refrigerator temperature.

Pasteurized milk never goes bad, it contains no pathogens. After sitting out for a few days, it is likely to clot and become something like yogurt, in both taste and texture, and if you wait long enough, it will become cheese. If it is clotted, it is still perfectly safe to drink, and would be an excellent, refreshing drink if you add sugar. When you milk does expire, save some in a separate jar for baking or for pancakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

The slime is only on the surface. Rinse it off in warm water, and smell the product. If it smells OK, it's fine.

Lunch meats will last longer if left out of the refrigerator, in daylight. Microbes will not grow in the light. They'll just dry out, so wrap them in transparent plastic and hang them up so light reaches all sides. Microbes thrive in three environmental conditions: Warmth, moisture, and darkness. Taking away the darkness will retard them just as well as taking away the warmth.

I've never tried this, but theoretically, if you could make your fridge light stay on when closed, I think your food would last longer. But it's probably nearly impossible to disable the door switch.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-03-2010 at 10:09 AM..

Old 09-03-2010, 10:26 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
Most grocery stores use open refrigerators cooler for products listed below, that could not maintain below 40ºF, I don't think they restock every 2 hours.
Um, dont you think that they know about these rules, as well as the manufacturers of said open coolers?
And yes, those suckers maintain temps below 40F.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
They do! Unless the thing is a piece of junk and the fan keeps going on it.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:03 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
Default Is this safe to eat? (Food safety question.)

Last night (Sunday) I cooked up cheese and mushroom ravioli with stir-fried red bell pepper, onion, garlic and crimini mushrooms in a sauce made with fresh tomatoes stewed and a hefty dollop of salsa.

This morning I took it out of the fridge (in the original pot) intending to spoon some into a container for lunch today at work. Except, I forgot about it, and it sat on the kitchen counter for about ten hours today. AC wasn't on so it was probably well into the 70s inside.

The tightly-fitting lid was on the pot all day - if it had sat open all day I would not consider eating it!

Is this OK for me to reheat for dinner tonight, or should I toss it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink