Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!

MWBW I'm echoing Kats-I read, re-read, sighed-just felt like I was right there You should be writing a book friend!

In a way I'm enjoying being "in my own" as I eat what I want-tonight will be a baked sweet potato and salad.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
OK, George's Mongolian Chicken usually would be a big draw for me but...Molochai is making home made chorizo!? Heaven!

Lacey, thinking the best for you guys - hope your guy is more comfortable this evening.

Dinner at Mooseketeer's was a fabulous confabulation - we must do it again soon!

Watching the Top Chef Masters repeat and new show tonight. Will check back later or tomorrow.

Please , people you are welcome anytime, especially those who bring food ! The more the merrier, we can fill my tiny garden and you can all enjoy my tiny pond which is now graced by two lovely Newts and 5 Frogs.
Heck if you all forget the food we can catch our dinner !

You people make me sick , you all seem like such great cooks who enjoy it too. And I just stand there my fridge door open with an expression like a halibut , going "meh" .... Definitely Gastro-ennui. Maybe I should coin the term because it really suits me rather well at the moment.

I don't know what it is with me at the moment, I just can't cook anymore. I have never really enjoyed it but I have definitely lost any modicum of groove I had ... I hope it's simply a phase, things have been a bit rough the last couple of weeks so maybe that's it.

Neither the mind nor the body are willing at the moment. SIGH.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:20 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Default Concert in the Square!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
The thunderstorms held off, and the first Concert on the Square took place as scheduled. And now I know that summer is REALLY here, because the truest sign of summer's advent is the first of the six annual Concerts on the Square.

Picture this:
MWBW's description was so lovely....I wanted more.....after all I am a foodie and one portion is never enough....so I went seeking a second helping and found this picture of the concert in the square. Can you pick out our dear friend? We know that she was there, with the codgers, and not with the Grande Ladies of the Arts.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:28 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Please , people you are welcome anytime, especially those who bring food ! The more the merrier, we can fill my tiny garden and you can all enjoy my tiny pond which is now graced by two lovely Newts and 5 Frogs.
Heck if you all forget the food we can catch our dinner !

You people make me sick , you all seem like such great cooks who enjoy it too. And I just stand there my fridge door open with an expression like a halibut , going "meh" .... Definitely Gastro-ennui. Maybe I should coin the term because it really suits me rather well at the moment.

I don't know what it is with me at the moment, I just can't cook anymore. I have never really enjoyed it but I have definitely lost any modicum of groove I had ... I hope it's simply a phase, things have been a bit rough the last couple of weeks so maybe that's it.

Neither the mind nor the body are willing at the moment. SIGH.
Sounds a lot like how I was feeling when I started this thread! I was at my wits end and to be honest, my love is not in the kitchen. It is so much better now because of all the wonderful ideas and people here that share them. I am still domestically challanged...sigh.....but at least I have tons of great food ideas to try now. I really think some of us tire of the ritual cooking as it becomes our job and jobs do get tiring. It amazes me how so many here just love and get into cooking so much! Thank goodness for those kind of people to help people like me!

Old 06-25-2009, 06:32 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Do you make your mint sauce with: vinegar/water, sugar and fresh mint--my mother used to make that....I think I could do it...but are there any tips or measurements that you can share.
I cheated, elston. I took some apple jelly, melted it and steeped some chopped up mint leaves in it. Next time, I think I'll make a mint tea concentrate and mix that up in the apple jelly (I find the sodden mint leaves sort of unappetizing).

The recipe for Mom's way from my, ever dependable, old Fannie Farmer is

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup mint leaves

Boil the sugar and vinegar. Add the mint and steep for 1 hour.

Last edited by gentlearts; 06-25-2009 at 06:42 AM..

Old 06-25-2009, 06:33 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Ohhh Worm! Your story takes me back to the national mall in DC and all those times we went to hear symphonies or bands play at the Capitol or at one of the monuments. Happy memories And yes, no matter how good the score is, those evenings never are about the quality of music but about the quality of experience! Thanks for sharing Oh and - Mooseketeer and I had hummus and tunes too - fancy that!

kimba, sorry about the no panko. Not as bad as nms totally abandoning SBR's in favor of some "other" BBQ sauce, but still pretty bad

Mooseketeer, maybe making a killing on your new trademark (gastric-ennui) will give you cause to celebrate and spark your culinary creativity once more! Either way, I'm sure it will return - I go through similar phases. I say embrace it for what it is!

In keeping with the above advice...last night I cooked up some farfalle, mixed it together with some jalapeno cream cheese, sour cream, lima beans, and greek seasoning...and will be reheating and enjoying portions of that until it's gone (probably tonight)

Old 06-25-2009, 07:23 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Good morning my foodie friends. My computer died on Sunday. My DH had to make a temp set up for me so I could post my story on Monday. We got a new computer and my hubby got everything, so far, working. Now I have to practice because everything is different.

It's been a beef week in our house which is highly unusual for me. You all know about the stew which hubby didn't care for. Then I made a pot roast in the crock pot until my DH turned off our electric so we could put the wire underground. Last night we had London Broil which was so delicious and tender.

This Sunday is my hubby's granddaughter's birthday. She will be 5. We are picking her up today at 3:00 to take her shopping at her favorite store, Claire's. Her mother told us "good luck because she is a nut in that store" Then we are taking her to her favorite Chinese restaurant. We should have a fun time.

Well now I know how to go "out" to eat. Take everyone out for their Birthday and I get to eat out also.

Too much for me to catch up on so I will have to check back later.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:27 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Not sure but sketti is sounding at least OK at the moment. Now after the daily adventure out in the sauna all bets are off.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:32 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,211,890 times
Morning everyone. Hubby and I ended up having date night last night so no cooking for me. Had an alright dinner at Outback Steakhouse(we had a gift certificate). It was nice to get out.

Dinner tonight will be chicken picatta.

Hope everyone stays cool and hydrated.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:43 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ohhh Worm! Your story takes me back to the national mall in DC and all those times we went to hear symphonies or bands play at the Capitol or at one of the monuments. Happy memories And yes, no matter how good the score is, those evenings never are about the quality of music but about the quality of experience! Thanks for sharing Oh and - Mooseketeer and I had hummus and tunes too - fancy that!

kimba, sorry about the no panko. Not as bad as nms totally abandoning SBR's in favor of some "other" BBQ sauce, but still pretty bad

Mooseketeer, maybe making a killing on your new trademark (gastric-ennui) will give you cause to celebrate and spark your culinary creativity once more! Either way, I'm sure it will return - I go through similar phases. I say embrace it for what it is!

In keeping with the above advice...last night I cooked up some farfalle, mixed it together with some jalapeno cream cheese, sour cream, lima beans, and greek seasoning...and will be reheating and enjoying portions of that until it's gone (probably tonight)
Nah, the millions in my Trademarking venture will go to going to the best restaurants and never stepping foot in the kitchen again !

And you Toosie can be one of my honoured guests.

Heck I might just turn the kitchen into a spa instead.

When the riches ,inevitable start to come my way you are all invited for a huge Party, how does Dinner cooked by Anthony Bourdain, Heston Blumenthal ( for something really out-there) , Gary Danko and Thomas Keller sound ( all are some of my top Chefs).... With of course some of the best Japanese, Italian, French , Thai, Mexican chefs to supplement the feast ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink