Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 11:10 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,730,526 times

Advertisements

I had Easy Mac Macaroni & Cheese for dinner tonight.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:31 PM

2,700 posts, read 3,682,202 times
Salad and crusted 4-cheese quiche. Yum!

Old 07-22-2009, 11:54 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,290,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Kats, I dont have any secret....we make rice everyday so we have a good rice cooker.....I use good quality sushi grade short or medium grain rice....I wash it well and put it in the cooker (3 cups to 3 1/4 cups of water more or less....I go by how it looks and measures on my finger knuckle. We have that more often than not with any cooked breakfast and always either for lunch or dinner.

I have noticed the teflon coating on the rice cooker is starting to give out.....so we may need to be getting a new one....we will get one imported from Japan.
OK, thanks! I buy the long grained rice, and always do the 1 part rice to 2 parts liquid thing. Just put it in a pot with a lid, bring the water/liquid to a boil, pour in the rice, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Is a rice cooker really easier/better?

Old 07-23-2009, 04:01 AM

12,248 posts, read 1,263,884 times
I had Tasmanian Salmon with tossed salad and chips...yummy!!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:54 AM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Funny you should mention that - I recently was scolded for putting the rice in my rice cooker before the water - apparently the rice falling directly into the bowl scratches the teflon coating off. Who knew?
A rice cooker is a wonderful thing. I got one just a few years ago. So nice. I haven't made "regular" long grain rice in quite awhile. We eat the sushi rice (short grain) also.
Ah....that could be it! But the one we have is about 6 years old and it's been used everyday for that amount of time....so its entitled.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
We ended up having pork chops with mashed potatoes and asparagus for dinner last night. It hit the spot.
Boy we had some crazy weather last night---heavy rain/wind and the lightening and thunder was wild!! Made for a very long night!!
Once again not to sure about dinner tonight. Maybe it's the heat although it really hasn't been that hot but I am not in the cooking mood. Course that isn't odd for me really!! Ha! Once I figure out dinner I will share it here.
I have noticed so many newbies here lately and I just want to take a moment to welcome them and let them know how much fun this thread is!! Pull up a chair and join in the fun!!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:16 AM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Thumbs up Thanks Cyn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
We ended up having pork chops with mashed potatoes and asparagus for dinner last night. It hit the spot.
Boy we had some crazy weather last night---heavy rain/wind and the lightening and thunder was wild!! Made for a very long night!!
Once again not to sure about dinner tonight. Maybe it's the heat although it really hasn't been that hot but I am not in the cooking mood. Course that isn't odd for me really!! Ha! Once I figure out dinner I will share it here.
I have noticed so many newbies here lately and I just want to take a moment to welcome them and let them know how much fun this thread is!! Pull up a chair and join in the fun!!
Cyn......"you really started something" when you started this thread. There are many of us who consider What's For Dinner" a "must visit site"....both for the excellent ideas and the comraderie. Everyone has to eat....so the topic is always timely! Thank you for being such a gracious hostess.

Last night turned out to be steak on the grill (DP wasnt too keen on the hot dog idea...lol). Then he suggested that we go out tonight to the local seafood resturant where they are having a triple lobster special tonight.....(I saw lobster being sold at a lobstermans house for $3.89 a pound).....of course that is in the shell....and probably soft shell....but I like the soft shell ones just as well and they are so much easier to eat.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:39 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,615,476 times
Meatball Stromboli at La Strada Pizza & Pasta

Old 07-23-2009, 06:07 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Threw together a quick pasta with bowties. Took a chicken breast out of the freezer this morning before I went to work. An off-the-cuff recipe where I cut up the chicken, lightly coated in flour, and sauteed it in olive oil with diced shallot, garlic, sundried tomatoes, about half a zucchini chopped up, some pine nuts. Deglazed the skillet with a splash of white wine and some chicken stock. A dash of cream. Basil. Salt and pepper. It was quite yummy.

That's the nice thing about pasta. You can pretty much just toss together whatever you've got in the fridge and make a satisfying pasta dish.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:13 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
Cyn I have to totally agree with elston on this one! I make the biggest effort to take time out of my schedule to come here and pull up a chair to sit at your table as often as I can. I love it here... sitting with my friends... seeing what everyone is eating... getting new ideas.... catching up and laughing with you all! I think you all know I love getting off topic!!! I am a rambler.... but this thread is amazing and Cyn we owe it all to you! Good Job Cyn!!!! And Welcome Newbie Foodies!!!!!

elston I have never cooked a lobster of any kind... now can ya even picture me doing it? I have images of goggles and giant industrial strength rubber gloves struggling with these living things trying to get them into a huge bubbling pot of boiling water.... HAHAH perhaps it is another phobia like the bone in chicken situation????

bs I love stromboli... in fact our Tops is selling them buy one get one free this week and hubby and I want to run and pick them up... have to remember to do that....

Kats wanna know how I make rice? hehe Uncle Bens 90 sec nuker bags hehehe no matter what I do my rice comes out like garbage... I need his help....

Suzanne1945 I love quiche and salad for a meal....

Suncoast Guy if only you knew how often we ate easy mac in our house... maybe I should buy stock

The girls are staring down the fridge.... after eating breakfast... I think they are trying to figure out how to peel a kiwi... should I let them haha J/K! Ok it is Thursday.... you all know what that is right? FAMILY DINNER NIGHT!!!! in the dining room... I am thinking about making Tacos... I have all the ingredients here in the house and ready to go... except the cheese and since I HAVE to go buy milk anyway I can just go pick that up at Wegmans this afternoon. Sounds like a plan to me and the kids just ok'd it!!! Now they JUST have to EAT it!!!! ok everyone... fingers crossed that works out for today.... we all know how DIVA is!!!! Who, btw requested my mother buy her a blueberry muffin for lunch! That will be her lunch today- very healthy isn't it? And of course because she is going to my mothers she is getting it! oh brother.... I will have to fill her with fruit or something between now and then.... Ok... gotta peel a kiwi....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink