Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 07:32 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,946 times

Advertisements

leftovers~ gotta use some of them !

Old 08-02-2009, 07:38 PM

11,874 posts, read 11,046,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Not everyone likes okra......(altho I now do.....it took a period of time to develop a taste or tolerance for it)....Okra has a natural .... well for lack of a better term slimy texture (it really is even less appealing than that to a first time tester.....it is close to a japanese fermented bean product called "natto" .

IMHO it is best in gumbo's or thrown into a mess of greens....or cut and fried with corn meal to absorb the gelatinous mess around the seeds. It takes some getting used to.
It's totally slimey which is why I can only eat it fried and love it. If it's cut into slices, then run under water the cornmeal will stick to it and throw it into a frying pan so they're crispy - not burnt, but crispy on outside, soft on inside but no slime. Okra patties are also good, made with flour and a little egg (gosh been so long since I made them), think milk or water, salt/pepper and fry them. Then no slime. I have serious 'texture' issues so the only way I can eat it is if it's fried.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:12 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
We had the chicken breasts-grilled. They were very moist and wonderful. I made a side of pasta with sauce to go along. I did do the fresh bean/tomato salad and I liked it kind of, but I think I can play with the dressing to get a better taste. It was only red wine vinegar and evoo, but I think I don't care for the evoo. I don't know, something was a bit off. I used fresh basil, parsley, pepper and a little salt.

Is there different kinds of evoo that you would use for salads as opposed to cooking? Could that be what it was?

Anyway, it was all good and then we made hot fudge sundaes with spanish peanuts and whipped cream--like a peanut buster parfait from DQ! Yummy!

Hope everyone's meals turned out the way they were meant to!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:34 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,730,526 times
I fixed tacos tonight for dinner.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:47 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
Sirloin steaks on the grill. mac & cheese, last summer's frozen sweet corn,and fresh cukes in sour cream sauce.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
And that is another thing--I still have not tried Okra--everyone seems to like it so I'm game to try it very soon.
Coat it lightly and fry it in hot oil and it will be crispy with no slick or slime. It is one veggie you cook done. Very high in good fiber and a taste of it own. It can be like fish. cook it wrong and you are off to a bad start. Cook it right and it is love at first bite....We have other ways to cook and serve it if you are interested....

Old 08-03-2009, 12:52 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,752 times
Boy, was there a lot to read... Haven't checked on this thread in ages.
So many yummie things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still have half a zucchini in the fridge and also some leftover spaghetti.

Will cut the zucchini in real thin strips, throw them in hot sesame oil for half a minute. Then add some milk and cream, lots of basil and oregano and let it simmer for a while.

Perfect vegetarian meal which I will probably take to work tomorrow (if there are any leftovers hehe)

Old 08-03-2009, 04:39 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
It's totally slimey which is why I can only eat it fried and love it. If it's cut into slices, then run under water the cornmeal will stick to it and throw it into a frying pan so they're crispy - not burnt, but crispy on outside, soft on inside but no slime. Okra patties are also good, made with flour and a little egg (gosh been so long since I made them), think milk or water, salt/pepper and fry them. Then no slime. I have serious 'texture' issues so the only way I can eat it is if it's fried.
I do like it fried with corn meal like you say..that was the first way I enjoyed them......but also got used to them in gumbo or stew......I did get past the slime issue.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Coat it lightly and fry it in hot oil and it will be crispy with no slick or slime. It is one veggie you cook done. Very high in good fiber and a taste of it own. It can be like fish. cook it wrong and you are off to a bad start. Cook it right and it is love at first bite....We have other ways to cook and serve it if you are interested....
Yes, please share!! If I'm going to try this I would like to do it right!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:43 AM

48,125 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Default Turkey Baster and other functional nomenclature

Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
, use one of those sucking thingies with bulb shaped thing on end and just suck out excess (can't for the life of me remember the 'proper' term LOL).
I couldnt think of the name of that thingie either......that reminded me of a story of a friend whose Italian father in law, refered to the collander as ....."the spaghetti she stop the water she go"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink