Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 11:19 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,923,831 times

Advertisements

Good day, everyone! Sounds like lots of good food stuff going around ('cept the game stuff, I can live without that forever)

Tuna casserole sounds good, but still a bit too warm to turn on the oven. Maybe a cold one. My mom used to do that in the humid summer days in MI. Tuna macaroni salad. Hmmm. I am tasting it now!

For tonight, I took out Hot and Spicy Italian sausage. Not sure if it will be grilled or cut up and sauteed. Definitely rice and a salad.

Have a great day all!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 11:56 AM

47,986 posts, read 21,937,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Good day, everyone! Sounds like lots of good food stuff going around ('cept the game stuff, I can live without that forever)

Tuna casserole sounds good, but still a bit too warm to turn on the oven. Maybe a cold one. My mom used to do that in the humid summer days in MI. Tuna macaroni salad. Hmmm. I am tasting it now!

For tonight, I took out Hot and Spicy Italian sausage. Not sure if it will be grilled or cut up and sauteed. Definitely rice and a salad.

Have a great day all!!!
We used to have macaroni salad with a can of tuna added....but I never thought of it as cold tuna noodle.....but I see the comparison.

I also am remembering from the same era...taking a cored peeled chilled tomato and stuffing it with tuna salad, for a nice cold salad plate.....serve with some lettuce and maybe half a hard boiled egg. That was probably in the 1950's that I had that.

Old 08-03-2009, 11:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,253,473 times
When I make tuna casserole it is basically already cooked so it really is a lot like tuna macaroni salad. Just no cheese could be melted on the top. Of course there is always the microwave!! Ha!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,264,235 times
Anyone have a good summer squash recipe or idea? I have deep fried them, but now want to do something else. I am not really thinking a casserole, since I don't have the ingredients right now.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:34 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,742,717 times
Last night I cooked up some calamari with scallops in a homemade marinara sauce. Tonight it's some stir-fry beef and veggies over rice. Tomorrow I'm thinking eggplant parmesian or chicken parmesian. I usually don't plan my meals more than a day in advance. Never sure what I'm hungry for day to day but I try to do enough shopping for the week. That reminds me, I'm running low on the vino.

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,227,048 times
Hey, Kats.

I take yellow squash and zucchini and slice them thinly ( you could use one or the other if you don't have both). Do the same with a tomato and an onion. layer them in a baking dish with salt, pepper, a little butter, some garlic powder/salt and some parm. cheese. Bake at 350 till done - about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes. I know it's kind of a casserole, but not really.

47,986 posts, read 21,937,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Anyone have a good summer squash recipe or idea? I have deep fried them, but now want to do something else. I am not really thinking a casserole, since I don't have the ingredients right now.
My favorite is the simplist....not really a recipe.....cut them up and boil them in salted water drain well....then mash and put in lots of butter and pepper. I love it. If they seem too wet, after you mash em.....carefully put them back over the heat to dry them just a little.....don't leave them they will scorch.

You can just put the squash on the grill naked and plain and cook till soft and then slice in a bowl and add butter.

Dad used to slice them and flour the rounds and layer them in a casserole with saltine cracker crumbs s&p and bits of butter and then add milk till it shows....end with a layer of crackers cover and bake and uncover when almost done.....scalloped summer squash. I think he sometimes added minced onion too.....like he did in scalloped potatoes. but not sure about the onion....maybe optional.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,393,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Stir fry in bacon drippings with onions and bacon bits. Add mushrooms if you have some. You can use a table spoon of bacon dripping and the rest of the oil can be EVOO...using lower heat. more of a saute. Just don't boil them like my mom does. She boils the flavor right down the drain.
We have added shredded cabbage to the squash too. Even whole kernel corn...Various ways to use them. We had basic stir fried last night with just bacon and onions. Good stuff.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:38 PM

12,014 posts, read 11,264,235 times
Wow! Thanks guys for the squash ideas!!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 12:40 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,253,473 times
I grill the whole squash on the BBQ until soft then I cut it up and put it in a bowl with lots of yummy butter, chopped bell pepper, onion and some salsa. Stick that baby in the microwave for about one minute and it is soooooo good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink