Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,743,388 times

Advertisements

Lacey did you to tell him to be afraid be very afraid when you are in charge?

Old 06-28-2009, 04:06 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
We paid .60 an ear couple weeks ago for Fla corn-it was awful. Will wait and it could be a long one as corn here is only inches high right now. Nowhere near "high as an elephant's eye on the 4th of July".

Hoping soup's going to go over as his stomach is sour.

Extra cocktail for moi tonight.

Crazy he already knows that!

Old 06-28-2009, 05:03 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,291,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
No, you told me it was our torrid affair is what I wasn't to mention. LOOK what you make me do, you made me say it Actually Kats was going to show me how to use firearms Anybody who pisses off our group had better watch out! I will soon be packing more than just sharp knives
LOL! Yes folks, George and I are having a torrid long distance food affair! (Sad thing is, I kinda like it! ) Whoo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
In lieu of chicken and dumplings it is going to be beef and dumplings. Seems we ran out of chicken. Sides have not been discussed yet.
OK, spill! Tell me about the beef and dumplings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Priorities girl!!! Cocktails #1.

Nurse Ratchett is doing pretty good sofar-if course I better check dressing before cocktails or I may bandage his head!
Drink 2, and THEN do the bandaging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have hubby's sausage and peppers in the crockpot.
BUT, isn't that painful for him? (Sorry, couldn't help it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yesterday, while out going to garage sales we found a veggie stand that had some beautiful corn so we bought 12 ears. Sooo, today I took the corn off the cobs and froze 4 bags full. Another nice veggie for a future meal! I'm starting to feel like "Suzie Homemaker"!! Ha!
Good for you! Did any of my long ago/long winded advice help? I bet you did great!

Made hamburger steaks and onion gravy, BBQ beans, green beans with shelly beans & potatoes, rice, and cornbread.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:37 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,044 times
Good Evening Foodie Friends

Lacey, MWBW--I thank you both.

Happy 29th Anniversary MWBW & DH, are you planning a special trip for your 30th? Although each day is special. I wish you both a wonderful night.

MWBW: funny story, when the twins were 5, our daughter called me up and asked me (since we are Italian decent), "mom remember that day when I was a stupid kid?" I replied, "which time"? Then she asked, "did you put the Fonoike on me? (The Italian horns}. I just laughed and said, "you will never know now will you?

Lacey, please send hugs to Mr. L from "furry white dog" since she wants to come live with you. (and good karma from both of us too}.

Lisa, I like my sausage the way you do too.

George, George, George

Well I brined my half chicken for 3 hrs. and put all sorts of fresh herbs, garlic, onion under the skin. Oiled that baby, put Sazon on and grilled it on indirect heat 400 for 1 hr. 15 mins. Roasted Sazon potatoes and corn on the cob.
It turned out moist, delicious and satisfying.

"Furry white dog" got upset again. As h was helping me clean the kitchen, Michael Jackson's song Rock With Me came on and we started dancing. DH was doing the moon walk and I was dancing on the other side of the kitchen (we really have to stop drinking this bottled water). She started howling, and when h said come on dance with dad & mom--she ran into her house. Probably to compose another pleading letter to Mr. "L".

I hope everyone has a wonderful night. I will speak to you all tomorrow.

kelsie

Old 06-28-2009, 06:30 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,543,526 times
Eveyones dinners sound delicious! Ended up with Chineese takeout. I guess I have to start cooking again tomorrow, yuck!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:37 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post

OK, spill! Tell me about the beef and dumplings?
Well it's like this. While I took a nap wife made a change in plans. She made beef stew and is saving the dumplings for tomorrow night after she can acquire some chicken. Either that or she just wanted beef stew. I stayed out of the kitchen and let her do her thing.....

Old 06-28-2009, 07:12 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Wonderful stories, Kelsie - both about your daughter, and about you and your beloved dancing in the kitchen together! I love that mental image, and can just see the furry white pooch howling in dismay at being left out of all the fun.

We try to make each day special in its own way, rather than blowing a lot of money on a big "special occasion" trip or other event, so I expect the 30th anniversary next year will be much of a muchness with the 29 that will have preceded it. We'll likely fix a nice meal, open a bottle of good wine, and toast each other, the past that we've shared, and the future that we still hope to share together.

Today's celebratory meal was fun and delicious, if I do say so myself. I took parts of two of the recipes in Kelsie's fabulous cookbook, added my memories of our favorite dish at Iannelli's Italian Restaurant in McAllen from over a decade ago, and the result was astonishingly successful.

I started by slicing up half a pound of crimini mushrooms and a couple of onions, as well as a couple of cloves of garlic, setting them aside in readiness. Then I took a couple of nice big boneless chicken breasts and pounded them out to about 1/4" thick between plastic wrap. I laid a piece of prosciutto over each of them, put about a tablespoon of grated mozzarella cheese at the narrow end, and rolled them up, anchoring them with a couple of toothpicks. Then I dipped them in egg and rolled them in flour.

I got a mixture of butter and olive oil hot in a skillet, and laid the floured chicken rolls in the hot oil. I turned them to brown them on all sides, even holding them up with tongs to brown the ends. Then I set them aside on a paper plate, and dumped the mushrooms, onion and garlic into the pan. They sauteed together until they started to wilt, at which point I dumped in some Marsala, maybe a cup, give or take a bit. I let that simmer a bit, then dumped in some chicken broth. Once that came back to a nice simmer, I laid the chicken rolls back into the mushroom/onion/wine/broth mixture, turned the heat down a bit and put the cover on.

Then while that simmered, I cut up three lovely little pat-a-pan squash, another onion, and some more garlic and tossed them all in a pan with more olive oil and butter, along with some fresh basil snipped into strips and a splash of wine. That simmered a while, as I started some water boiling for pasta. I turned the chicken rolls over after about ten minutes and took the lid off to let the sauce cook down a bit.

As the pasta reached its al dente state, I dumped half a dozen cut-up grape tomatoes into the squash to steam just a bit. After draining the pasta, I tossed a pat of butter into the pasta to melt, and turned off the heat under the chicken and the squash.

So we feasted on the BookWorm's re-created version of Chicken Rollatini, accompanied by squash with onions, garlic, basil and tomatoes, and pasta, toasting each other in a lovely crisp white wine. Home-made oatmeal-raisin cookies followed for dessert, and we are both replete and content now.

Have a wonderful week, all!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:24 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
Hey, just saw some new bling on Jaxson's stats, off to go join (or start) the party!

Edit - and Nomad is shining brighter tonight, too!

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 06-28-2009 at 08:45 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
So we feasted on the BookWorm's re-created version of Chicken Rollatini, accompanied by squash with onions, garlic, basil and tomatoes, and pasta, toasting each other in a lovely crisp white wine. Home-made oatmeal-raisin cookies followed for dessert, and we are both replete and content now.
It sounds fantastic! Once again....congratulations!

Old 06-28-2009, 07:54 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Sunday night....gearin' up for a night full of puppy whines and barking....hope it goes better and I get some sleep.... have a great night!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink