U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-28-2009, 08:02 PM

29,022 posts, read 18,011,555 times
Simple dinner tonite, tapenade tossed with penne and grated cheese, good stuff!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 PM

8,696 posts, read 6,861,577 times
Wow! Lots of posts here...just got back in from a weekend in Los Angeles. Crazy there. We have had this planned for a while, didn't expect a wave of celebrity deaths, but the place was crazy. They had a memorial service for MJ at his star, which we just happened to be there that day and saw the melee. Not really as big as I would have thought, but still nutso. Then we accidentally ended up at his house where there was another memorial site set up. Not really that big, but they had his street blocked off and security was guarding it.

Anyway, no good food to speak of on the trip, mostly fast food type stuff and I am sick of sandwiches and fries.

Tonight we had pizza from a new place here, it was very good!

Hope you are all good!

Old 06-28-2009, 10:14 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,068,530 times
Red face guess what's coming for dinner?

well, i had prepared a pot roast early this morning. i had root vegetables prep'd, yukon golds diced, and fresh swt corn ready to make into fried corn fritters, then, i made the mistake of answering the phone. a dear friend called to ask me to join him, his roommate, and 6 invited guests for dinner. he was upset because two expected guests canceled their invitations---something about an unexpected visit by a relative. anyway, i didn't say "no", and i'm fully to blame---i knew from the get go they couldn't boil water. it wouldn't have mattered had i known their menu.

nevertheless, as a polite guest and a decent friend, i presented them w/ a wonderful bottle of j. resieling, upon arriving promptly on time. all but two guests were there. i knew it was probably going to be a rough ride, when the bartender gave me a whiskey sour instead of my requested amaretto sour, and the dog messed in the kitchen floor. dinner was served on time. we had ceasar salad and a bleu cheese souffle. dessert was strawberry shortcake. it would have probably been good had they not put the dry ingredients for the souffle in the shortcake and the dry ingredients for the shortcake in the souffle. it was pretty bad, especially when nobody mentioned the obvious. i thought i was going to have to pick up the dog and lick its butt to get the taste out of my mouth! i mean, really, alcohol can dull only so many of one's senses. things ended w/ take out chicken and some nutty buddys. i told the hosts that, in future, i would prepare any dinners to which they invited me. they appeared to be relieved w/ the outcome, as did the dog.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:16 PM

25,444 posts, read 7,056,684 times
I had Pork Chop, Potatoes and Carrots for dinner tonight.

I wish I had more to type, but I simple man. I don't know rather that is good or bad.....

Until Tomorrow.....

Old 06-28-2009, 11:38 PM

131,636 posts, read 42,753,128 times
Tomorrow is grocery shopping day. I've got ham on the brain and they are own sale. I have a craving for potato salad with ham in it as a one dish meal. I like the cold dishes in this hot weather. With some luck that and a coconut cream pie will grace the table tonight.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:11 AM

3,885 posts, read 5,217,942 times
Ohhh, coconut cream pie! That sounds so good. My aunt made the best coconut pie ever. I wish I had her recipe. I need to grocery shop tomorrow too and stop slacking. I'm thinking maybe terriyaki steak skewers with grilled fresh pinapple, onions and zucchini.

I hope everyone is well!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:34 AM

10,713 posts, read 6,532,146 times
Kingchef- Well now, um.....sounds like your friends enjoyed your presence.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:32 AM

28,227 posts, read 13,458,136 times
Morning all-poor KC-but you are a good friend.

MWBW-another delicious dinner at your table and that one sounds like white linen, candles and grandma's silver and crystal should be gracing the table.

Soup was delicious sprinkled with a little fresh parm. Mr. L ate a little and has had a rough nite-not much sleep. I think it's the transition from hosp. to home.

So soup again tonight and it's a very chilly, windy day.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:34 AM

19,073 posts, read 13,599,734 times
Good morning all! Just sat down with my first cup of coffee. I do believe tonight we will be having hot dogs with some more of the macaroni salad I made. It's pretty hot to be doing much in the way of cooking here. Plus I have been pretty busy during the last few days so by dinner time I have been tired and not feeling like cooking much. Maybe tomorrow I will pull another recipe out of Kelsies cookbook to try---we will see.
Now I have to go back several pages just to catch up on all the posts here. Have a great day!!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:37 AM

34,047 posts, read 11,025,818 times
Cyn,

Its cool and wet where I am and it looks as if it will continue in that vein.....so I am thinking of warm meals from the oven or perhaps a hearty soup or stew....to take the chill off.....the left over potato salad in the fridge.....may never get eaten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.