U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 07-04-2009, 04:30 AM

33,449 posts, read 9,934,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Lisa, sprouts are easy, and you don't have to wait until next year to try them; my mom used to grow alfalfa sprouts in a little dish on her kitchen sink year-round. She'd use 'em in salads and on sandwiches instead of lettuce.

It's been a long time - Mom died in '97 - but I remember that she'd use a margarine tub with a big hole cut in the lid, so that all that was really left was a rim to snap over the container. She'd put alfalfa seeds in the tub with a little water, spread some flexible mesh over the top and snap that cut-out rim on to keep the mesh on. I believe she'd drain it and add fresh water each day, and within a few days, she'd have a tub-full of fresh home-grown sprouts to add to her salads. She'd mix in radish seeds sometimes for a spicier crunch, but mostly it was just the alfalfa.

And way, way back in the day, when I worked at the Chinese restaurant during college, they'd grow their own bean sprouts in much the same way, but in much larger quantities. They had bought new plastic garbage cans that they punched holes in, and they'd grow beansprouts in them in the back room. It's been too many decades now to remember the details, but I know the Kowloon Palace in Kalamazoo never, ever bought a beansprout as long as they were in business.

I need to look up how to do this.....we eat a lot of bean sprouts....and their shelf life seems to be in hours.....not days! Sometimes I resort to canned.....I would love to grow my own.

Unread 07-04-2009, 04:53 AM

28,227 posts, read 12,555,842 times
Good morning all and Happy,Safe 4th of July!

Mr. L's sis and her DH are coming and staying over. So I made mac salad, have a pork tenderloin, baked beans, salad, fruit salad-just making a beer run for BIL.

Unread 07-04-2009, 05:19 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,339 posts, read 4,604,942 times
Ooo that sounds just right, Lacey - enjoy your time together!

My guy comes home today for the week and I have no plans or ideas for dinner tonight. Guess we'll be winging it!

I'll second Lacey's wishes for everyone to have a safe and happy 4th of July weekend - tasty too!

Unread 07-04-2009, 05:30 AM

18,722 posts, read 12,519,542 times
I'll jump on the band wagon and wish everyone a safe and fun 4th of July!!
We are staying home and doing pretty much the usual. My animals get upset with the firecrackers so it's best to be here with them!!

Unread 07-04-2009, 06:17 AM

18,217 posts, read 7,008,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
And way, way back in the day, when I worked at the Chinese restaurant during college, they'd grow their own bean sprouts in much the same way, but in much larger quantities. They had bought new plastic garbage cans that they punched holes in, and they'd grow bean sprouts in them in the back room. It's been too many decades now to remember the details, but I know the Kowloon Palace in Kalamazoo never, ever bought a bean sprout as long as they were in business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I need to look up how to do this.....we eat a lot of bean sprouts....and their shelf life seems to be in hours.....not days! Sometimes I resort to canned.....I would love to grow my own.
Happy 4th everyone!!!

So maybe we should start a bean sprout thread? Thanks to the both of you for bringing back fond memories of my grandmother growing bean sprouts in the basement for the family restaurant. My dad should have been an inventor instead of a chef. He created this stand for the bean sprout barrel. It was a stainless steel trough with a drain and 2' x 4' so that the barrel could sit at an angle for water drainage. I think dad took 50 gallon stainless steel stockpots and drilled holes in the bottom.

Granny would take the dried mung beans and soak them overnight in a large amount of water and a teaspoon of bleach. I think she did that so that the water wouldn't become murky while soaking. She would then transfer everything into the stockpot and cover it with a burlap bag. She would keep the bag on top and keep it wet. Once the beans had sprouted, she would take the burlap over. She always kept a plastic garbage can lid on the stockpot as the bean sprouts were always grown in the darkness of our basement. I think she watered the bean sprouts twice a day. Often times it was my job to water and I would neglect the bean sprouts. They still came out okay

Since she had so many bean sprouts that the best way to remove the shell was to submerge the bean sprouts in batches in a huge tub of water and agitate it with a large wire colander. Like Elston mentioned, when you purchase them from the store, you don't have much time to use them

Haven't cooked much lately. We have been having very late lunches so no dinner has been necessary. We did enjoy some nice scoops of the peach ice cream I made the other day. I added a little honey to it too and it imparted a wonderful layer.

Unread 07-04-2009, 06:37 AM

18,217 posts, read 7,008,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
LISA -I think you are doing wonderfully, BUT, if Toosie wants to give you some "footnotes on herbology, well ..who am I to stand in her way? I wouldn't want to be a heel or anything!
The heat is getting to you hon....

Unread 07-04-2009, 06:41 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,339 posts, read 4,604,942 times
Oh good lord - how did I miss that post from Kats? She be in big trouble!

Unread 07-04-2009, 07:28 AM

28,227 posts, read 12,555,842 times
Another list??????????????????

Unread 07-04-2009, 08:04 AM

131,695 posts, read 39,606,220 times
My list needs go get started. Being I didn't by any fire works we may just have beanie weenies and potato salad for supper..........

Unread 07-04-2009, 08:19 AM

5,384 posts, read 6,299,453 times
OMG!!! SO PROUD OF MY SIX YEAR OLD!!!!! Told you all I would post..... DIVA ran her 5k today.... 3.1 miles and she did it in 38.(something) the official time will be posted later this afternoon!!! I was in tears as she crossed the finish line. She was the youngest runner and EVERYONE standing along the finish line was cheering for her and people were stopping her along the way.... oh I am so proud. I have pictures I will download later to post in my album.... she was grinning ear to ear!!! She wants to do another one ASAP!!!! Such a big girl....

Tonight is a celebration at my parents.... can't wait!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink