Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2009, 08:33 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times

Advertisements

SKBS that is so wonderful-Yeah Diva-Girl!!!!!! Hug her from us.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:35 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
OMG!!! SO PROUD OF MY SIX YEAR OLD!!!!! Told you all I would post..... DIVA ran her 5k today.... 3.1 miles and she did it in 38.(something) the official time will be posted later this afternoon!!! I was in tears as she crossed the finish line. She was the youngest runner and EVERYONE standing along the finish line was cheering for her and people were stopping her along the way.... oh I am so proud. I have pictures I will download later to post in my album.... she was grinning ear to ear!!! She wants to do another one ASAP!!!! Such a big girl....

Tonight is a celebration at my parents.... can't wait!!!!
Make sure they don't push "Pink Chicken off on her"....Give her some real food after that. Pizza would be my choice....OK the truth...Porterhouse steak....

Old 07-04-2009, 08:46 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
That's amazing skbs! What a little trooper. Who knows...she may be representing the US in the olympics one day!! A wonderful way to celebrate the 4th!!!!!
I had a dream last night my whole family was here for the holiday and we were having so much fun!! But it was only a dream....sigh.....I sure miss them all.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Hi everybody. Happy 4th of July!! Looks like you've got quite the budding little runner in the family, skbs!

Basil? Did somebody say basil?

Lisa, I love fresh basil. It's not hard work, but it's frequent work, keeping up with it once it really gets going.

As others have told you, pinching off the flower heads - they start out green, and you will quickly learn to recognize both them and the type of leaf growth that indicates a flower head is on the way -- is the most important thing you have to do.

Basil really wants to get tall and leggy (it wants it so bad!! lol), and you are constantly battling with it not to get too tall, and instead to bush out and give you lower, fuller growth.

When I have a bunch of successful summer basil, I cut off all the tall stems I need to, cut the bottoms of each stem on a slant as if you were preparing roses for the vase, and put them in a small crystal vase i have on the counter for this purpose.

The basil keeps for DAYS and DAYS this way as well as brings that beautiful basil smell into your kitchen. You can just grab a sprig or a few leaves as needed for your cooking. Change the water in the vase every other day or so, maybe snip a fresh cut off the bottoms of the stems too.

I find when I have some basil on the counter like this I am far more likely to use it.

This is much easier than it sounds.. it's hard to write out and explain exactly what I mean.

Happy basil growing! Remind me to give you my recipe for chicken pasta salad with (fresh) herbed yogurt dressing. Healthy and delicious.

Well gang, I'm off to a pool party today, everybody stay safe and have fun!

Old 07-04-2009, 08:52 AM

7,332 posts, read 2,741,035 times
Congratulations and a huge hug for the DIVA!!! What a grand way to start the day.

Here's to all of you and have a wonderful day.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:55 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
This is what your basil will look like if you don't remove the itty bitty flower head and just let it keep going:

http://flowerempowerment.com/blog/wp...ower-small.gif

It will put all its energy into growing these flowers for seeds and stop growing you as many sweet lovely large green leaves.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:06 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
skbs your DIVA is a rock star!

Lacey, I told Kats I'd take her off all lists in exchange for home cooked meals but clearly that won't work. She's back on her own List!

Everyone, our own sweet George started a beautiful thread for us here in food but it's been moved over to community chat (rules, ya know). Here is the link so any and all of us can subscribe and remember to stop in...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/commu...nking-you.html

Old 07-04-2009, 09:31 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
What a lovely thread George. Now I have another thread to visit regularly!! Thanks for the very kind thoughts my friend!!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,668,582 times
Hi foodies........guess everyone is in the kitchen today cooking for BBQ's or whatever.

this year is the first year I'm growing basil. Thanks for the freezing tip. I have made pesto sauce and it is very good.

And I love love basil, tomatoes and mozzie with olive oil. first time I had this was in Rome. Oh my god I was in heaven.
Then I found out you can get it here or make it yourself.
anytime I see this on the menu....I order it. Someone is bringing that to the BBQ today.

Anyway.....
Since I"m on Weight Watchers I made a whole wheat pasta salad with chicken, apples and pecans.

3 cups cooked whole wheat pasta, 3 cups of cubed chicken, 1 large shallot, 1 small granny smith apple,
1/3 cup of chopped pecans
Dressing......1/3 cup of orange juice, 3 tables of balsamic vinegar, 3 tables of maple syrup and 3 tbls of dijon mustard......Wish the blend in with rest of ingredients till all is coated.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:45 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,655,987 times
Hamburgers/hotdogs on the grill. Macaroni salad, potato salad, baked beans, chips and dip, and sliced cucumbers. Oh...and beer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink