U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 06-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Status: "Life happens." (set 11 hours ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
36,283 posts, read 19,097,263 times
Reputation: 21382
Default The Agenda Goes On The Road - June 21 - 26

For this coming week, I won't be around the house. Instead, I will be on the road in Lubbock, Texas all week long, tasting the many local flavors of the area, mixed with a few national chains.

Here will be some of the places I plan to be hitting this week:

Ranch House Restaurant - It's a downtown Lubbock favorite, so I hope to do one lunch and one breakfast there (they are not open for dinner). They specialize in home cooking, so a good chicken-fried steak would sound really good there.

River Smith's - This place is known for chicken and catfish and has a strong history of service and quality. I plan to go for their catfish and chicken tenders with all of the 'fixins'. You'll get some updates on the specifics if visitors at my hotel will let me.

Cagle Steaks - A local favorite for ribeye steaks, I plan to get one there Monday night. Baked potato and salad are the expected sides.

Taco Villa - This West Texas chain is another local institution and it serves breakfast tacos, but also a lot of the type of fare that you see at Taco Bell or Taco Bueno. Since it's not offered outside of West Texas, I figure a few tacos wouldn't hurt.

Orlando's Italian - I'm about to find out this week what has made them a favorite in Lubbock for about three decades. Possibilities may include lasagna, chicken fettucini, or spaghetti.

Caprock Cafe - Here's another place that I want to try, and want to try to hit twice. I want to see if they have the best burger in Lubbock. So far, judging from their website, I'd like to find out for myself. I'll do the beef burger on the first visit and a buffalo burger on the next.

Lisa West's Double Nickel Steakhouse - An opportunity for the West Texas version of fine dining. These people specialize in steak, with green onions and tomato slices that come with your meal.


So, there you are with a few of the upcoming highlights of my vacation. If I can, I'll try to get back to you with a few updates during the trip (my hotel will have a business center), but I cannot guarantee that at this time. Take time to enjoy all the goodness around your dinner table as you go through this week.

Bon appetit!

 
Old 06-20-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Looking East and hoping!
28,227 posts, read 13,489,458 times
Reputation: 2000000631
I'm not busy next week Case.
 
Old 06-20-2009, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Where Trolls get BBQ'd
131,636 posts, read 42,878,637 times
Reputation: 114044
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
For this coming week, I won't be around the house. Instead, I will be on the road in Lubbock, Texas all week long, tasting the many local flavors of the area, mixed with a few national chains.

Here will be some of the places I plan to be hitting this week:

Ranch House Restaurant - It's a downtown Lubbock favorite, so I hope to do one lunch and one breakfast there (they are not open for dinner). They specialize in home cooking, so a good chicken-fried steak would sound really good there.

River Smith's - This place is known for chicken and catfish and has a strong history of service and quality. I plan to go for their catfish and chicken tenders with all of the 'fixins'. You'll get some updates on the specifics if visitors at my hotel will let me.

Cagle Steaks - A local favorite for ribeye steaks, I plan to get one there Monday night. Baked potato and salad are the expected sides.

Taco Villa - This West Texas chain is another local institution and it serves breakfast tacos, but also a lot of the type of fare that you see at Taco Bell or Taco Bueno. Since it's not offered outside of West Texas, I figure a few tacos wouldn't hurt.

Orlando's Italian - I'm about to find out this week what has made them a favorite in Lubbock for about three decades. Possibilities may include lasagna, chicken fettucini, or spaghetti.

Caprock Cafe - Here's another place that I want to try, and want to try to hit twice. I want to see if they have the best burger in Lubbock. So far, judging from their website, I'd like to find out for myself. I'll do the beef burger on the first visit and a buffalo burger on the next.

Lisa West's Double Nickel Steakhouse - An opportunity for the West Texas version of fine dining. These people specialize in steak, with green onions and tomato slices that come with your meal.


So, there you are with a few of the upcoming highlights of my vacation. If I can, I'll try to get back to you with a few updates during the trip (my hotel will have a business center), but I cannot guarantee that at this time. Take time to enjoy all the goodness around your dinner table as you go through this week.

Bon appetit!
OK. need a shotgun passenger? Second opinion taster? AC adjuster? I can multitask...
 
Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
10,713 posts, read 6,550,011 times
Reputation: 20467
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Ahem---George, I received a panic stricken email from MWBW & NMS, that ONCE AGAIN, you & your bus left them with severe dehydration in their garages with food that was beginning to spoil. I not only had to run to give Dasani water to the mid-West, I had to fly to Fl. All because of your empty promises, and where were you----at a fancy, 5 star Gourmet, air conditioned restaurant. You really did it this time mister. Mom always said, what goes around, comes around.
Kelsie, YOU forgot me too???? Dang, I am starting to get a complex! Fine, i will just sit in my garage with my Frosted CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES and eat them one by one by .........
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I'm not busy next week Case.
We can sit in the back and navigate!
 
Old 06-20-2009, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Inman Park (Atlanta, GA)
19,715 posts, read 7,915,291 times
Reputation: 10404
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Ahem---George, I received a panic stricken email from MWBW & NMS, that ONCE AGAIN, you & your bus left them with severe dehydration in their garages with food that was beginning to spoil. I not only had to run to give Dasani water to the mid-West, I had to fly to Fl. All because of your empty promises, and where were you----at a fancy, 5 star Gourmet, air conditioned restaurant. You really did it this time mister. Mom always said, what goes around, comes around.
[quote=Katsmeeyow;9386213]Kelsie, YOU forgot me too???? Dang, I am starting to get a complex! Fine, i will just sit in my garage with my Frosted CHOCOLATE FUDGE BROWNIES and eat them one by one by ........./[quote]

Whine, whine, wine, wine!

Times are tough, I was only hanging out at a 4 Star restaurant sipping away on a very cold vodka martini (straight up with a twist please).

I will come and pick everyone up when I sober up. A/c is a good thing
 
Old 06-20-2009, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
15,374 posts, read 14,292,925 times
Reputation: 21741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Nice looking star there yankeegirl.
Yes....Thank you!
 
Old 06-20-2009, 04:32 PM
Status: "Life happens." (set 11 hours ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
36,283 posts, read 19,097,263 times
Reputation: 21382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post

We can sit in the back and navigate!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
OK. need a shotgun passenger? Second opinion taster? AC adjuster? I can multitask...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
I'm not busy next week Case.

All of you are welcome on the trip. Separate hotel rooms, please.

It also promises to be a beefy week. Hope you don't mind a lot of beef....
 
Old 06-20-2009, 04:34 PM
 
5,685 posts, read 5,453,768 times
Reputation: 43471
Whew, thanks so much for the water, Kels - my tongue was stuck to the roof of my mouth and I was getting shaky there in the garage. Ate up all the pico de gallo, too, and now I'm gonna head on down Alabama way to help Kats polish off those frosted fudge brownies for dessert. George, George, George, we're just gonna have to take up a collection to get you a new bus, I think, if that one keeps breaking down.

Today was the first real hot sunny day we've had so far this year, and I've been moving more slowly than usual as a result. We did get a bit of yard work done, though I still need to weed and edge tomorrow. Picked up a couple of daisy plants at the Farmers' Market this morning that I need to get into the dirt, too.

Spouse is talking about something that involves shrimp, crimini mushrooms, onions, pesto, garlic and pasta, and while I don't yet know the details, the outline sounds mighty tasty to me. Will report back with the outcome.
 
Old 06-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Status: "Back on the sunny side of the street!" (set 24 days ago)
 
Location: Richardson, TX
6,565 posts, read 9,950,225 times
Reputation: 13028
Been nibbling all day, so not making dinner tonight.

I just finished putting together a huge marinated vegetable salad - broccoli, tomato, carrots, radishes, poblano peppers, celery, & shredded red cabbage in an herb vinaigrette.

That'll be a no cook side dish for several lunches and dinners.

Tomorrow is big cheat day as it's Father's Day and DH is the father of two fur babies. ( I know, I'm really reaching here! )

I'm going to make him some lumpia, which are filipino egg rolls with a mostly meat filling. I'm using ground pork.
 
Old 06-20-2009, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
10,713 posts, read 6,550,011 times
Reputation: 20467
We had KFC. Was ok, but I don't like the mac and cheese from there - DH & step son love it! It's so orangy - blah! Cole slaw was good, and the green beans were ok. The biscuits were good - I added honey to mine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top