U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-24-2009, 04:46 AM

33,358 posts, read 9,853,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
elston glad you tried the dumpling making again and had better success that you enjoyed. What is a smoke tree?

A "smoke tree" is a landscape tree or shrub that gets its name from a frothy, puffy flower that covers it in mid summer.....looking like a puff of smoke....it has been hybredized to accentuate the startling color of its leaves....chartreuse or purple or pink....that seem to glow with an inner light. A beautiful specimen tree.

Unread 06-24-2009, 05:41 AM

18,655 posts, read 12,444,205 times
This thread has someone here 24/7 lately it seems! That's good. At least we are never alone for long!
We ended up having corn on the cob, squash and cucumbers last night with the cubed steaks. Our neighbors keep bringing us bags of veggies so I figured we'd best eat some of them up.
I have no idea what dinner will be tonight--the weatherman said we are going to be hot today and the darn humidity is suppose to come back too--yuk! I have a hard time figuring out dinner when it's hot cause I'm not that hungry even though the house is cool cause I do spend time outside too.
I'm going out to do some weeding now and will post dinner later. Have a great day and Lacey, I hope Mr. L is feeling better today.

Unread 06-24-2009, 05:46 AM

33,358 posts, read 9,853,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
This thread has someone here 24/7 lately it seems! That's good. At least we are never alone for long!
We ended up having corn on the cob, squash and cucumbers last night with the cubed steaks. Our neighbors keep bringing us bags of veggies so I figured we'd best eat some of them up.
I have no idea what dinner will be tonight--the weatherman said we are going to be hot today and the darn humidity is suppose to come back too--yuk! I have a hard time figuring out dinner when it's hot cause I'm not that hungry even though the house is cool cause I do spend time outside too.
I'm going out to do some weeding now and will post dinner later. Have a great day and Lacey, I hope Mr. L is feeling better today.
"Bags of Vegetables" Wow! I envy you. It has been so cool and wet here for the past month....measurable rainfall 18 out of 23 days and below 80 degrees most of May and all of June....that farmers are giving up on vine crops such as cukes and squash.....the fields are too wet and there isnt time to get a crop to maturity even if the sun comes out....Strawberries are rotting and molding in the field or before they get to market....my peppers and egg plants have barely grown since I planted them a month ago! Farmers are worried about making hay. Its the summer that wasn't.

Unread 06-24-2009, 05:52 AM

3,567 posts, read 8,486,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
Hamburger helper....

hey we have that alot. with this crappy economy it's about the most affordable meal there is. ONE POUND ONE PAN......LOL

Unread 06-24-2009, 06:15 AM

5,536 posts, read 4,787,664 times
It's a hot, sticky morning already, at just a few moments after 7, and there's another heat advisory on for this afternoon - I sure wish I could send you some of it, Elston! However, I will say that the spouse's tomato plants are loving it; he's got some plum-sized 'maters already, and it's not even July. If we don't have any monsoons or July cold snaps, I predict a bumper crop this year.

We're still hoping for a picnic supper on the lawn surrounding the Capitol this evening, as we listen to the Wisconsin Chamber Orchestra inaugurating their 26th season of Concerts on the Square. The weather prediction is calling for storms, but maybe we'll get lucky and they'll slow down en route to south-central Wisconsin and get here after the concert is over.

If the concert is on, we'll be feasting on hummus, feta cheese, cucumber slices, pita bread, tomatoes and grapes, washed down with a bottle of Wollersheim Winery's Prairie Fumé. If it's put off until tomorrow, we'll keep all that for tomorrow's supper and snack on leftovers tonight. And if it winds up getting canceled entirely, well, I guess we'll picnic at the kitchen table.

Have a wonderful day, all - and Lacey, sending hugs and karma to you and the Mister as always.

Unread 06-24-2009, 07:06 AM

6,380 posts, read 8,784,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Wow we have been outside until just now it is after 10pm. I prepped a bunch of food earlier for tomorrow we are having guests over for supper. So I made a bacon sandwich with some of the cooked bacon I didn't use up for my supper. Kids ate Taco Bell that DS brought out just about 30 minutes ago. We eat supper late but not usually this late.
I'm always trying to break the eating late habit myself, but it's just how we're wired.
Can't go wrong with a bacon sandwich - especially if you dip the pieces of bread in the bacon grease - NOT that I have EVER done something that sinful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
Tonight I had some homemade beef short ribs with a side of boiled potatoes. The short ribs were cooked with a gravy used in making pot roast, which I used on the potatoes as well. Accompanying this dish was a bowl of sliced nectarines and bananas covered in non-fat vanilla yogurt from my favorite grocery store, Trader Joe's.
Sounds like a great dinner, aside from the evil bananas. I miss TJ's, there is soooo much grocery competition here in Texas I don't know when they'll ever get around to coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Probably this is because I'm up at 4am and can't sleep but...I imagined the grilled cheese showing up on it's own two feet, wearing a trenchcoat and sunglasses, in hot pursuit of the missing pbj sandwich.
Cute toosie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post

If the concert is on, we'll be feasting on hummus, feta cheese, cucumber slices, pita bread, tomatoes and grapes, washed down with a bottle of Wollersheim Winery's Prairie Fumé. If it's put off until tomorrow, we'll keep all that for tomorrow's supper and snack on leftovers tonight. And if it winds up getting canceled entirely, well, I guess we'll picnic at the kitchen table.
I love picnics like that. Hope you have a great time, sounds delicious.

Tonight DH wants the rest of the Boar's Head hot dogs.

I think I'll have some leftover grilled meat, perhaps throw a couple of tortillas into the mix?

Fresh batch of hot sauce in the fridge from last weekend. I'm good to go.

Unread 06-24-2009, 07:36 AM

16,011 posts, read 11,892,932 times
I'm having leftover "Redneckasian"

I cooked a pork sirloin roast ($3.25) about 5/6ths of the way, marinated in allegro, cooked in the oven at 310 and basted liberally with Carolina vinegar BBQ sauce.
sliced it thin, diced it, and threw it on a skillet with baby corn, peas, carrots, and toasted sesame oil
spice it up with sriracha, white pepper and a little bit of chicken broth.
serve over white sushi rice. (next time I'll use a rice I know how to cook)

Made it up as I went along, but it turned out very good!
I've screwed up pork sirloin before, overcooking it, but this was perfect.

Unread 06-24-2009, 07:48 AM

13,040 posts, read 13,569,816 times
No idea what I am having for dinner, I haven't felt like cooking at all for days now so I am in a bit of a rut. At a guess because it is fairly warm it might be a big tossed Salad or maybe Grilled Chicken and fruity couscous. I have barely been able to look into my fridge, it always seems to goad me somehow. I need to go shopping or I will have to live off currants and dry pasta for a while...

If anyone fancies cooking for me at the moment, please feel free to stage an intervention , I am suffering from Gastro-ennui at the moment !

You guys always make me feel so hungry, I wish you could fly over to the UK and bring some of your yummy food over...

Unread 06-24-2009, 07:50 AM

16,011 posts, read 11,892,932 times
Last week, for dinner -

bought about 3 lbs of grouper, right off the boat - brined it overnight in saltwater and herbs from a tube
cut it into nuggets, battered it in catfish breading, cayenne pepper, and yuengling
fried it in peanut oil (w/ a little butter)

served with boiled peanuts and copious amounts of yuengling

Unread 06-24-2009, 08:02 AM

131,707 posts, read 39,396,992 times
I keep going down an imaginary list of good things in my head and they all sound awful. None of my favorite foods sound fit to eat. Even chocolate pie sounds utterly disgusting. I'm beginning to think one of my meds or a combination has my system totally confused. I think at this point I'm going to tell the wife to fix what she wants and I eat if I want to and if not there is plenty of tea in the house. Today is a mini shopping day as we will be out for some knee thereapy and she may spot something she would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.