Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2009, 06:35 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to save money, I live alone in an apartment. My question is what food can I make that I can just freeze and then eat during the week.

I wanted to prepare food on sunday and then not have to worry about making more each day of the week because this is too time consuming. So basically wanted something easy that could save the most time/money.

Also wouldnt be totally opposed to buying freezable meals but wanted something that was generally healthy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 06:55 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
You can make meals ahead that you can freeze in smaller portions. Here are some ideas.

Beef stew.

Lasagna or veggie lasagna.

Any kind of soup. Make a big pot of chicken, veggie, bean, or a combo of all and freeze in smaller portions.

Make a roast and freeze with a little gravy and put into small containers.

Make a batch of regular or vegetarian chili and freeze.

Some quick meals:

Breakfast for dinner.
Buy a Rotisserie Chicken and make sides. You will get many meals from one chicken.
Stir fry and rice.
Bean burritos.
Taco's
Pasta and sauce with a salad.

A Crockpot might also work for you. Just add everything in the morning and when you get home your meal will be ready.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:38 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,017,510 times
Thanks that is really helpful. What may seem obvious to some is really useful to others.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:43 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Thanks that is really helpful. What may seem obvious to some is really useful to others.
Your welcome. I'm sure you will get many other ideas.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:52 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
Stirfry is very quick. Most of the time is spent cutting up an assortment of vegetables. You can add bits of the chicken you potted for soup on the weekend.

I love boiled chicken for its tenderness. Put a whole chicken into a large pot of water with vegetables. From this you will get a nice soup, breasts which can be sliced for sandwiches or with gravy over them, bits for chicken and biscuits, and for the above stirfry. I like lots of dill in mine. You can also add bisquick dumplings or matzo balls to the soup along with leaving some chicken bits in the soup to make it a meal.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:21 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
just due to my living conditions (barracks) and not being able to cook, I find salads work great, as no doubt you have a home you can make pasta salads.

Make a big bowl of tuna or chicken salad and eat throughout the week. You can make sandwiches, eat it with crackers, or just eat it straight.

also, you can take left over chicken or ham and mix it with pasta or mac & cheese. u can out left over beef in soups/broth. In fact any meat in soup/broth.

Last edited by macjr82; 06-09-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Also go to our fresh produce section get whatever you like from there to make big lettuce salads with. Bring it home and clean all the veggies put them into a Tupperware bowl or a zippie bag in your fridge. Just grabbing the salad bowl in the evenings adding some bacon bits, croutons or grated cheese plus the dressing is a filling healthy meal. On nights you have extra time pan sear a chicken breast to cut up to add to your salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink