Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 03:17 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,440,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
No kidding. You said it all.

That's exactly what I meant when I said - "quality control."
I'm sure that if CLTKing's dog or cat died from melamine poisoning due to tainted pet food, he might have a different outlook on the situation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 03:19 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,102,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
Nothing wrong with Chinese products. How quickly we forget the peanut butter scared from GA, and also e-coli on spinaches not too long ago.
I have more to say on this topic.

Not only do I resent our market here in this country being flooded w/ Chinese poducts b/c there is no consistent quality control, I highly resent that jobs have been lost due to outsourcing - or completely moving - businesses to China f/ the USA.

In addition, I am continually disgusted w/ the low quality of products I buy that are made in China. The worst textiles I have ever bought in my lifetime are now flooding the market, forcing me to pay outrageous amounts to get French or Italian products (IF I can even find them).

A lot of items I simply WILL NOT BUY any longer if they are made in China. I now go to yard sales and estate sales and buy vintage items off Ebay (wh/ end up costing me MORE) rather than buying cheap Chinese garden tools and tablecloths, for example.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:26 PM

The old adage,"you get what you pay for", still applies!

Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,350,619 times
I'm all for a good ol' fashioned gang up...

From back in 2007

Report: China admits domestic quality control issues - Jul. 4, 2007

Quote:
nearly one-fifth of the sold-in-China products that were studied failed to meet the country's quality standards, the Wall Street Journal's online edition said citing a report by a quality-control agency.

And don't forget the Chinese CEO who killed himself a couple of years back after there were excessive levels of lead found in the paint used for Mattel/Fischer Price toys. China has their own problems with quality control, problems I wouldn't want to see in this country.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:18 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,770,780 times
I'm especially disappointed that I wrote an e-mail to Earthfare to complain and didn't receive a response from them.

I am in the food business and have a lot of contacts in the industry. There is a big stigma across the manufacturers who don't want to use ingredients made in China. Citric Acid, Phosphates, Viatl Wheat Gluten to name a few. So in a way, we are somewhat protected. But when major processors like Dole (Who made the apple cups that I purchased) decide to do things cheaper by sourcing items from China we are all in trouble.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:20 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I'm especially disappointed that I wrote an e-mail to Earthfare to complain and didn't receive a response from them.

Better that than the standard automated reply. Maybe someone actually read yours.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post

I am in the food business and have a lot of contacts in the industry. There is a big stigma across the manufacturers who don't want to use ingredients made in China. Citric Acid, Phosphates, Viatl Wheat Gluten to name a few. So in a way, we are somewhat protected. But when major processors like Dole (Who made the apple cups that I purchased) decide to do things cheaper by sourcing items from China we are all in trouble.
I'm surprised how much apple juice comes from China. Somehow, I suspect if I analyzed Walmart Apple Juice, it might also contain cat pee, ethylene glycol and Sweet & Low, in addition to some "suspect" apples!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 06-22-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM

182 posts, read 437,242 times
Here, here! Wonderfully put! China is quietly hacking our defense networks a thousand times more a day and perform more corporate espionage than we can possibly imagine. They care no more for human right as they care for the quality of their products that have crippled the lives of millions around the world.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,796,664 times
I am really going to start looking closely at my food products now.

I agree with you all. We really need to start protesting all this made in China crapola and bring some manufacturing/pride back to this country. The shoes and clothing aren't made better, they're made cheaper. I worked in the garment industry for 20 years and can remember designers and merchandisers making trips to NC to the textile mills. Last time I saw that was probably in '95. And as far as the China factories go, those trips they took you to the factories they wanted you to see. Found out more than a few times garments had been farmed out to other factories.

Ani, you are so right. Our friend shops flea markets to find american made tools. It makes me bitter everytime I shop and look at country of orgin.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamwow! View Post
Here, here! Wonderfully put! China is quietly hacking our defense networks a thousand times more a day and perform more corporate espionage than we can possibly imagine. They care no more for human right as they care for the quality of their products that have crippled the lives of millions around the world.

China: Hacking our nations defense systems one cheaply made vase at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink