Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:20 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

I know I'm leaving stuff out. Please help!
Beer????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 04:59 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,698 times
I didn't put this in my original post because it is supplied for us but don't forget toilet paper. Have fun on your trip.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:30 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Have to be ramen...sugar...drink mix packets...and soda. I already have another two weeks before I can buy groceries, and have to make do with what I have now.

Old 06-28-2009, 07:59 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,994 times
eggs, sausage, hot roll mix, canned tuna fish, boxed macaroni and cheese, stouffers french bread pizza, chicken, bbq sauce, fish, tartar sauce, onions, celery, bananas, strawberries, tomatoes, rye bread, pumpernickle bread, mayonnaise, peanut butter and strawberry jam, 1% milk, sugar free cranberry juice, diet pepsi and a bottle of good red wine.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:06 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,022,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I'm kind of obsessive about planning for this kind of thing, and I always start out by planning out daily menus, complete with snacks, for the entire time I'll be gone. Then I go through each day's menu and list every single thing I'll need to prepare every dish, both food and utensils. Then I make my actual shopping and packing lists. A sample food shopping/packing list is below.

Caveat: the following assumes that you have ample refrigerator and freezer space. If you are camping and will be relying on an ice chest to keep things cool, the list would be very different.

Mornings:
Coffee, half-n-half (or other coffee whitener of your choice), sugar or other sweetener, juice, yogurt, buttermilk and/or kefir, eggs, bread, butter/margarine, jam/jelly/peanut butter/honey, possibly flour and baking soda (or pancake mix) plus syrup if you like pancakes, bacon, sausage and/or ham, fruit, possibly some sort of granola cereal, grits, oatmeal.

Mid-day:
Bread, peanut butter, honey, butter or margarine, cheese, mayonnaise, tuna, possibly lunchmeat if you like that sort of thing, carrots, celery, bell pepper and other crunchy vegetable-type things, lots of fruit, snacky stuff like chips if you're into that sort of thing, beverages as preferred. Possibly canned soups if it'll be in a somewhat chilly region.

Suppers:
Meat and fish pre-portioned and frozen in one-meal-size packages, several varieties of cheese (grated sharp cheddar, mozzarella, Parmesan, possibly cream cheese), pastas in various shapes, rice (brown and white both), a sack of potatoes, a sack of onions, assorted summer vegetables (zucchini, summer squash, broccoli, asparagus if it's in season, pat-a-pan squash, kohlrabi, mushrooms, tomatoes, spinach, etc.), olive oil, vegetable oil, pan spray.

Seasonings:
Garlic (fresh and dried), parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, salt & pepper, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, pepper sauce of your choice, possibly baking spices if you plan French toast or something that would call for cinnamon or nutmeg, other seasonings that you frequently use.

Have fun on your trip!
OK, what she said I am one person

Old 06-29-2009, 12:29 AM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,373,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Beer????????
Hee hee, I don't drink. Like I posted in a recent thread I don't drink wine because I can't afford to lose the brain cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
I didn't put this in my original post because it is supplied for us but don't forget toilet paper. Have fun on your trip.
Yep, thought of that one. But thanks for the reminder.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,338,536 times
Hey...do you know something I don't know about some upcoming event that would necessitate this 'stockpiling'...? *grin*

1. Toilet paper
2. Peanut butter
3. Hot pockets

Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
In summer it would be something like that :

Pasta
Grana Padano or Parmigiano Regginano Parmesan
Lots of fresh juices ( Grapefruit, Orange, Grape, Apple and Elderflower, Apple and Raspberry, etc..)
Mineral Water
Couscous
Sardines
Bananas
Strawberries
Raspberries
Charentais Melon
Rice
Broccoli
Green Beans
Tomatoes
Lettuce
Tuna
Onions
Garlic
Balsamic Vinegar
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Olives ( black and Green)
Feta Cheese
Chicken Breasts
King Prawns
Mustards ( Dijon, Basil , herbs etc... I have lots of different types)
Rock Salt
Herb Salt
Herbs ( Thyme, Tarragon, Rosemary, Herbes de Provence , Basil, Coriander, etc...)
Chilli Flakes
Walnut Oil
Walnut Vinegar
Lemon
White Wine
Perrier
Carrots
Courgettes
Cannellini Beans
Egg Noodles
Japanese Soya Sauce
Teriyaki Marinade
Mirin cooking Wine
Some pasta sauce jars
Sweetcorn
82 % cocoa butter Dark bitter chocolate ( one bar should last me a month probably)
Bouquets Garnis
Five Spice
Cinnamon
Currants or Raisins
Argan Oil

And toilet paper !

Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 AM

263 posts, read 744,962 times
we keep loads of staples on hand like beans and pasta and potatoes and flour and oatmeal. fresh and canned veggies. our own beef, pork and chicken in the freezer.
i use a lot of olive and safflower oil and butter and garlic and onions and sea salt and herbs to turn the staples into food. baking powder and soda for baking. we use gallons of milk for the 6 of us, and dozens of eggs. and we go through lots of cheese.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,709,092 times
eggs
milk
half & half
potatoes
rice
flour
sugar
salt/pepper/parsley
garlic
onions
chicken (thighs, drumsticks & some breast meat)
pork chops & a pork roast
ground meat
sliced bread
cheese
tomatoes
jalapenos
corn
broccoli
butter
pasta
bacon
peanut butter
cereal
canned chicken & tuna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink