Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 03:02 PM

145 posts, read 412,230 times

Advertisements

To all ex-pats out there in America, what foods do you miss the most and have the most difficulty finding?
(I am about to move to America from Britain and although it is not entirely new to me there - I have been there a lot in the last 3 years - I expect it is very different living there properly!)
So what can I expect to find easily and what should I make the most of now while I can?!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 04:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I think it was Lawrence Durrell who said the best cuisine in London is to go to the hospital for a baroim meal.

The famous Pasties, for which Upper Michigan is famous, originated in Cornwall. England (even though the people in the UP originate in Finland). Cornish Pasties are a meat pie, consisting of meat, potatoes, and rutabaga wrapped in a pie-crust, which was taken to work by miners, who would put it on their shovel and put it in the fire to bake it for lunch. If you are ever passing through the UP, don't fail to try a pastie.

I can't think of anything else fit to eat that has been prepared by anybody who has ever been in England.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:46 PM

727 posts, read 1,890,624 times
I'm not a brit but I love Brit food and I didnt even know the food I loved was Brit food(mainly fast food) I love Beans and toast and been making that since a teen......I love Chip butty which is another little fast food that I've been eating and making since teen years. And other little delights. Some english food is real similar to Jamaican food my mom always cooked too...

Old 06-30-2009, 01:50 AM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
If you want to buy British groceries here, they are quite expensive. If you're going to settle near other ex-pats, ie. parts of Florida, you may be able to find some good pub grub.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:39 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
In the US, the most popular type of bacon is what you call "streaky bacon" - the more common bacon in the UK, in the US is usually called "Canadian bacon" and is harder to find.

I thought my dad said he found McVities at Wegmans but I don't see it on their website... you can get other brands of digestives there though.

You probably won't find Ribena or blackcurrant juice in general but you can order it from online store dedicated to providing British foods in the US:
USA Based Supplier of British Goods Online, shop online for British Food, Cadbury's chocolate, Heinz Baked Beans, Colmans sauce, Weetabix, HP Sauce, Bisto Gravy, PG tips, Typhoo tea bags and many more, shop online
Where can I buy British Food in USA? - Xpat Shop
British Food
British Food Tea Teapots and Gifts Store

Most people will complain about how horrible American chocolate is.

Naturally, there's no chippy's or curry take aways. You can find some restaurants that serve curry (usually in big cities) but I don't think you'll find it as take away.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:28 PM

298 posts, read 1,010,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
In the US, the most popular type of bacon is what you call "streaky bacon" - the more common bacon in the UK, in the US is usually called "Canadian bacon" and is harder to find.
Canadian bacon is the closest to UK bacon but its not the same, its more like a gammon steak.

I miss sausages. Its all hot italian or chicken here Bleugh! I found a half decent pork and leek in wegmans but that was it.

Everything else you can get but its expensive. Oh but don't buy Cadbury's in the US. Its made by Hershey's and its nasty.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:28 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poopy00 View Post
Canadian bacon is the closest to UK bacon but its not the same, its more like a gammon steak.
I'm pretty sure they're both back bacon - perhaps it's cut thicker in the US/Canadian or something but it's from the same part of the pig and therefore is the same type of bacon. First time I had back bacon was in the UK and immediately said "this is more like ham than bacon" so I think it's the same thing.

But I always insist that "streaky" bacon in the UK is salted more than it is in the US - so there's always going to be slight differences in the way it's prepared or processed but ultimately, it's considered the same type of bacon.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:09 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Depending on where you live.....you may have to bring over your own spotted dick.

I find that to be such a funny choice of name for a food product! Heard it tastes great though.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:13 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
I just need to know ... do you smoke a f-ag before or after you eat a spotted dick?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:24 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
I love Chip butty...
What is that? What a name!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink