Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:31 PM

272 posts, read 1,509,945 times

Advertisements

In my teens, on a 'survival' camping trip, I ate some raw grasshoppers. You twist their little heads off, and their guts come right out attached to the head. Not for the squeamish, lol. The first one was hard to get down, but after that it wasn't so bad. They tasted like walnuts. I doubt that I'd ever do it again-- unless I was really really hungry.

Don't know if you could really call it 'exotic', but my mom used to fix the dreaded lutefisk every year around Christmas time, to please her Swedish mother (who lived with us). The side dish was always creamed peas and new potatoes, and she used the water she cooked the lutefisk in to make the cream sauce. Foul! For us kids (and even the dog!) that was a stressful time of year, lol. Mom swore she loved it, but we all noticed that after granny had passed away mom never fixed it again. We tacitly agreed to never mention it, for fear that she had just forgotten about it and might restart the tradition if reminded.

Even that guy on the Food Network who specializes in eating disgusting food had trouble with lutefisk. So if you're ever invited over for dinner at the home of Scandinavians around Christmas time-- RUN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
In my teens, on a 'survival' camping trip, I ate some raw grasshoppers. You twist their little heads off, and their guts come right out attached to the head. Not for the squeamish, lol. The first one was hard to get down, but after that it wasn't so bad. They tasted like walnuts. I doubt that I'd ever do it again-- unless I was really really hungry.

Don't know if you could really call it 'exotic', but my mom used to fix the dreaded lutefisk every year around Christmas time, to please her Swedish mother (who lived with us). The side dish was always creamed peas and new potatoes, and she used the water she cooked the lutefisk in to make the cream sauce. Foul! For us kids (and even the dog!) that was a stressful time of year, lol. Mom swore she loved it, but we all noticed that after granny had passed away mom never fixed it again. We tacitly agreed to never mention it, for fear that she had just forgotten about it and might restart the tradition if reminded.

Even that guy on the Food Network who specializes in eating disgusting food had trouble with lutefisk. So if you're ever invited over for dinner at the home of Scandinavians around Christmas time-- RUN!
i will be shure to remember that addvice!!!

i think the guy you are mentioning is jim zimmeman bizzar foods

Old 07-05-2009, 03:04 PM

272 posts, read 1,509,945 times
That's the guy! Only I think it's Andrew Zimmern, couldn't think of his name until you posted that. Thanks. What a way to make a (very good) living, lol.

Old 07-05-2009, 03:28 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Boomer View Post
That's the guy! Only I think it's Andrew Zimmern, couldn't think of his name until you posted that. Thanks. What a way to make a (very good) living, lol.
ya thats it andrew zimmerman bizzar foods

Old 07-05-2009, 04:23 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Kimchi is really yummy.

I can't believe I've eaten something Moosketeer hasn't tried, how 'bout that?!

I like salty, vinegary - in a word, pickled - foods. This one is also very spicy so that's another plus.

It's a very nice side dish with barbecued meat.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:36 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
For me, it's escargot and conch, too. Snails taste like dirt smells, and if I hadn't seen conch on roadside stands looking like a big old penis rising out of a shell, I would have been ok with it.
I would not eat any of that creepy stuff that Zimmerman guy eats..ever.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:40 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I've never had Kimchi, what is it like ? I know it is supposed to smell vile but does the taste go with the smell ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Kimchi is really yummy.

I can't believe I've eaten something Moosketeer hasn't tried, how 'bout that?!

I like salty, vinegary - in a word, pickled - foods. This one is also very spicy so that's another plus.

It's a very nice side dish with barbecued meat.
Wow Debsi, we are both up on Moosketeer! Who would have thunk that

I agree with Debsi, it is yummy. It is not all smelly and there there is even a vinegar based one called "water kimchi". It is lovely for the summer as it is crunchy and cool tasting.

Kimchi is also suppose to have health benefits. Kimchi: Why This Delicious Korean Staple is Also a Health Wonderfood (Includes a Kimchi Recipe!)

Honestly, if you have never had it before, it is quit odoriferous but after the first bite, you don't smell it anymore. No the fermented smell does not match the smell

My mother says that I was switched at birth from a Korean family

Old 07-05-2009, 05:24 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Was that the show where Anthony Bourdain traveled the world (for Food Network I think) eating, uh, unusual things. I could not continue to watch the show in which he was contemplating eating monkey's brains, still warm, on the half...skull. Oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
sounds delicious where can i get some rotten shark

i saw a food show about stuff like that it realy sounds horrible..

in japan they eat stinky tofu it's absolutely horrible it's formented in rotten vegetable matter for like 3 months.

Old 07-05-2009, 06:03 PM

31 posts, read 73,549 times
i love
liver and tongue but i guess they don't count

lindatn

Old 07-05-2009, 06:50 PM

4,468 posts, read 7,999,911 times
Exclamation ah FOLKS, Get with it...that stuff you said is good, try this....

Being Scandahovian...we love Lutefisk..made right...and raw oysters etc.
And If you catch your first Yellowtail (calif) or Albacore you must eat the raw fresh beatin heart...a tradition..

BUT HAVE YOU EVER TRIED A REAL COWBOY FAVORITE...
HOW ABOUT SOME CALF FRIES OR ROCKY MOUNTAIN OYSTERS...

FRESH THIS TIME OF YEAR AS BRANDIN AND CUTTIN GOES ON...

A REAL 4TH FAVORITE...

JUST CUT UM OUT AND FRY IN OIL OR BBQ...YMMMM...MIGHT ADD SOME SECRET SAUCE AND A COUPLE COLD COOR'S...
A REAL COWBOY FAVORITE..NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.

HAPPY TRAILS...
HW FENCE LAKE RANGER....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink