U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2007, 07:43 PM

2,814 posts, read 11,895,182 times

Advertisements

I've been craving a really substantial and filling stir fry for quite some time. I've decided to try an experiment on Saturday afternoon and see what happens:

-Boil 4 full boneless chicken breasts until they are cooked through (before I start the chopping)
-Chop up a full red pepper, a full green pepper, and one large red onion.
-Chop up about 5-6 cloves of garlic.
-1 Tblspn of fresh ground black pepper.
-A pinch of sea salt.

-Get a boiling pot of water for the ribbed Rigatoni noodles and start that.

Start the stir fry of the vegetables with a light dousing of olive oil.

Now take the chicken breasts which are cooked but tender and cut all four into half inch cubes or so.
Throw them into an iron skillet, drizzle a dash of olive oil, then pour Teriyaki sauce over the chicken and skillet fry them to a barely braised texture.
Use a wooden spoon and keep moving the chicken around so that it doesn't burn and get thoroughly saturated with the teriyaki.
Pour the stir fry into the teriyaki chicken cubes skillet and began stirring and then reduce to low and cover while waiting for the Rigatoni to finish (quick).

Now drain the noodles and pour them into a large bowl and add a half stick of butter and mix until the butter is melted.

Get the plates and cover the bottoms with buttered Rigatoni noodes and scoop the stir fry over the top...

Doesn't that sound good!?! That's my tomorrow chore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 08:49 AM

2,072 posts, read 10,870,178 times
Mo,

That sounds great. I'm going to save the recipe and try it one of these days. By the way, what time is dinner? !!!!!!!!!

Paula

Old 04-21-2007, 07:20 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,537,833 times
So how was it??

Old 04-21-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
So how was it??
My plans abruptly changed due to other circumstances today as my neighbor needed to dump four tree stumps with rootballs (the big ones) in my back woods and we set it up so that when it snows again in the winter, we can throw Diesel on it and light it and not burn the forest down, but get rid of the debris (from the Jan. ice storm...believe it or not, though I'm totally cleaned up, not everyone is yet.).
Soooooooo, I'll do it tomorrow

Old 04-21-2007, 08:00 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,573,890 times
Just curious here, why would you use pasta instead of rice for your stir fry? I think rice is a lot more filling, personally. Here where I am Kroger sells a frozen mix called three pepper and onion blend, and they have their frozen vegetables for a dollar per bag fairly often. This stuff is just great to use for all kinds of cooking-its frozen, so you can just break the pieces up (if you want)-it is the greatest find in years for me for cooking. It is green pepper, yellow, red, and onion. Other brands sell the same stuff, call it pepper stir fry, but much more expensive.

Old 04-21-2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
Just curious here, why would you use pasta instead of rice for your stir fry? I think rice is a lot more filling, personally. Here where I am Kroger sells a frozen mix called three pepper and onion blend, and they have their frozen vegetables for a dollar per bag fairly often. This stuff is just great to use for all kinds of cooking-its frozen, so you can just break the pieces up (if you want)-it is the greatest find in years for me for cooking. It is green pepper, yellow, red, and onion. Other brands sell the same stuff, call it pepper stir fry, but much more expensive.
I buy bags of frozen veggies as well and they always come out perfectly. I'm tired of rice and I want a pasta base. I think with all that teriyaki chicken in it it should be VERY filling
My goal is to add 20 pounds in the next three months, so I'll be doing a lot of cooking.

Old 04-21-2007, 10:20 PM

12,983 posts, read 12,573,890 times
Oh, believe me I wasn't suggesting that you didn't know about frozen vegetables! I was speaking about those Kroger mixed peppers, that's all. I have seen whole red peppers at our grocery store that cost almost as much per pound as STEAK!

Old 04-22-2007, 08:04 PM

21,416 posts, read 29,537,833 times
So did you make it for Sunday dinner?

Old 04-22-2007, 10:20 PM

Yep and it was delicious. Good thing I have plastic sealable containers!

Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 PM

464 posts, read 686,081 times
Just wondering why you boiled the chicken first? Why not just cut your chicken in cubes and cook it the same way with the EVOO and teriyaki sauce and cut out the whole boiling step.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink