Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times

Advertisements

Or do you think it does/did?

Ex-smokers: did your taste buds "wake up" when you stopped smoking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:49 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Yes, and my sense of smell. And my pocket book....

Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,681,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Oh God and how! I quit back in December I think ( I have fallen off the wagon but am back on Chantix too so I only smoke about 2 cigs a day) and by January I was blown away by all the food I had never given much thought too. Turns out I love love love bell peppers. During my 25 years of smoking I don't think I could even tell you what one tasted like even though I had them many times. I am also discovering other foods as well. Maybe too much as I have really packed on the pounds since quitting and I have always been pretty tiny. Maybe I subconciously went back to smoking because of the weight gain lol.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:32 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I'm an ex-smoker. I still can't "taste" food. But that comes from growing up in a home where you might not GET something to eat for dinner, so you had better eat anything put in front of you.

What smoking DID do for me, in relation to food, is to curb any hunger pangs I might be having. Two cigarettes, even at whatever it costs now, is cheaper than a Big Mac or Whopper combo meal.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:37 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Hmmm, well for me food is about the same I guess. I started to gain weight but went through some bad personal problems and lost all I ganined plus. I quit in Dec of this last year. My husband stopped a year ago and says food tastes about the same but the need to put something in his mouth has caused him to gain about 30 pounds!! Yikes!! I think it depends on each person individually!! Still, not smoking sure makes me feel better about myself!!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:47 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
I quit a half pack a day habit a little over a year ago.

I noticed no difference at all with tastes and smells, and I'm kind of PO'd about it because they told me it would be so much better.

I've gained a bunch of weight too.

Don't get me wrong; I'm really glad I quit and I'm sure the health benefits long term will be worth it, but it kind of sucked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink