U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 02:27 PM

481 posts, read 604,457 times

Advertisements

Plant-based foods also seem to be superior to animal-based foods when it comes to vitamins and minerals. In The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-term Health, written by Dr. T. Colin Campbell and his son Thomas M. Campbell, they compare plant-based nutrients (equal portions of lima beans, peas, potatoes, spinach, and tomatoes) against animal-based nutrients (equal portions of beef, chicken, pork, and whole milk).

Go to link to see the surprising results.
: New Wrinkles Blog Archive Animal Versus Plant-Based Foods

Plant-based foods also offer other health benefits. They are a great source of quality protein, and they contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other important nutrients. And plant-based foods usually contain little saturated fat in comparison to animal-based protein.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:12 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,541,365 times
Very biased book..not at all about nutrition, but rather vegan-rage.

Sure veggies are good for you, but not at the exclusion of everything else. Might want to move this to the veg sub-forum.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM

19,882 posts, read 36,385,911 times
Agenda, much?

What works best for any given individual in terms of diet is VERY individual - if I ate a vegetarian diet (and I've tried it a couple of times), I'd be sick as a dog. My late best friend did great on a vegetarian diet. We had very different genetic heritages, which, with other things, determined what was healthy for each of us individually.

What would NOT have been healthy would have been insisting that the other must eat what we did, that the diet that worked for us was the only healthy one for everyone on the planet.

That has nothing to do with food, and everything to do with an agenda.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 AM

481 posts, read 604,457 times
How on earth could a healthy vegetarian diet make you "sick as a dog"?

Vegetarian athletes
Ruth Heidrich, Three-Time Ironman
Debbie Lawrence, 5k Record Holder
Edwin Moses, Olympic Champion
Leroy Burrell, Olympic Champion
Lucy Stephens, Tri-athlete
Stan Price, World Record Bench Press
Jim Kaat, Baseball Player
Tony Larussa, Baseball Manager
Hank Aaron, Baseball Player
Bill Pearl, Bodybuilder
Marv Levey, Buffalo Bills Coach
Robert Parnish, Center (Bulls)
Joe Namath, Football Player
Lawrence Phillips, Football Player (49ers)
Steve Bellamy, Founder of the Tennis Channel
Surya Bonaly, French Figure Skater
Brendan Brazier, Ironman Triathlete
Sally Eastall, Marathon Runner
Andreas Cahling, Mr. International Bodybuilder
Carl Lewis, Olympic Track Star
Murray Rose, Olympic Swimmer
Pat Reeves, Power Lifter
Bill Manetti, Powerlifting Champion
Ed Templeton, Pro Skateboarder
Mike Manzoori, Pro Skateboarder
Laban Pheidas, Proskater
Steve Berra, Proskater
Anastasia Ashley, Surfer
Martina Navratilova, Tennis Player
Bille Jean King, Tennis Champion
Peter Burwash, Tennis Champion
John Salley, Toronto Raptors
Killer Kowalski, Wrestler

Old 07-27-2009, 08:51 AM

15,616 posts, read 9,158,729 times
Wow are you sure all those are year-round, lifelong vegetarians? Somehow I never would have guessed Hank Aaron was a vegetarian. Wild, if so.

Anyway, nutrition is only one reason why I choose to eat what I do. There are lots of good reasons not to eat meat - and maybe this sounds harsh and selfish, but - I grew up eating meat, it's readily available and affordable, I enjoy it, and I will continue to eat it for now.

Thanks for the topic, though - I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more attention.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 AM

6,039 posts, read 9,211,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
Plant-based foods also offer other health benefits. They are a great source of quality protein, and they contain vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and other important nutrients. And plant-based foods usually contain little saturated fat in comparison to animal-based protein.
Humans are omnivores. A well-balanced and healthful diet can include animal products as well as plant material.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM

19,882 posts, read 36,385,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apples&Oranges View Post
How on earth could a healthy vegetarian diet make you "sick as a dog"?

Vegetarian athletes
Ruth Heidrich, Three-Time Ironman
Debbie Lawrence, 5k Record Holder
Edwin Moses, Olympic Champion
Leroy Burrell, Olympic Champion
Lucy Stephens, Tri-athlete
Stan Price, World Record Bench Press
Jim Kaat, Baseball Player
Tony Larussa, Baseball Manager
Hank Aaron, Baseball Player
Bill Pearl, Bodybuilder
Marv Levey, Buffalo Bills Coach
Robert Parnish, Center (Bulls)
Joe Namath, Football Player
Lawrence Phillips, Football Player (49ers)
Steve Bellamy, Founder of the Tennis Channel
Surya Bonaly, French Figure Skater
Brendan Brazier, Ironman Triathlete
Sally Eastall, Marathon Runner
Andreas Cahling, Mr. International Bodybuilder
Carl Lewis, Olympic Track Star
Murray Rose, Olympic Swimmer
Pat Reeves, Power Lifter
Bill Manetti, Powerlifting Champion
Ed Templeton, Pro Skateboarder
Mike Manzoori, Pro Skateboarder
Laban Pheidas, Proskater
Steve Berra, Proskater
Anastasia Ashley, Surfer
Martina Navratilova, Tennis Player
Bille Jean King, Tennis Champion
Peter Burwash, Tennis Champion
John Salley, Toronto Raptors
Killer Kowalski, Wrestler
Easy, if I don't happen to share the genetic make-up of those particular folks (assuming that they all are or were vegetarians), and that my particular genetic make-up means that a vegetarian diet, however carefully designed (and I'm one of those annoying people who researches the heck out of anything they do to make sure they're doing it right), is unhealthy for me.

In other words, I'm on the other end of the bell curve from the people you mention (and, for that matter, from my late best friend the vegetarian who did just fine on a vegetarian diet if you don't consider the cancer and I don't blame that on vegetarianism).

The entire point of the post that you pulled that little bit out of was that it is extremely foolish to assume that because you do well or poorly on a particular diet, that everyone else on the planet, or even most of them, will react identically to the way YOUR body reacts. Even moreso if it's one of those things that's filling the place of religion for a lot of people.

The point was that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink