Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times

Advertisements

I like coconut water, but the only coconut water around here is a small can of it in the speciality section of the store. I am not sure where to find it where I could have some on a rountine basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 12:16 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I like coconut water, but the only coconut water around here is a small can of it in the speciality section of the store. I am not sure where to find it where I could have some on a rountine basis.
Where are you? Fresh young coconuts are available in the produce section in most natural food stores, most Asian food stores, and many supermarkets near major population centers.

The ones from Thailand typically have the outer husk shaved down so they look like little white huts, I guess you'd call them, and are often shrink wrapped in plastic to keep them from drying out... like the one pictured in this instruction on how to open them...

How to open a young coconut (Thai coconut)

Old 10-09-2012, 03:24 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
I am in Idaho and we don't have any Asian stores. The grocery store sells coconut but they always seem like they are really old. I have even had them have no coconut water in them.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:56 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,897,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I am in Idaho and we don't have any Asian stores. The grocery store sells coconut but they always seem like they are really old. I have even had them have no coconut water in them.
I am in Idaho and there are several Asian stores/markets in my city and I can find coconut water in almost every supermarket and even convenient stores and my cafeteria at work. Coconut water is all the rage right now.
I'm in Boise, where in Idaho do you live?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:00 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,548,048 times
I used to love it as a kid. I've seen it all over and I have been tempted to buy some, but so far I haven't given into the temptation. I think I may be afraid I will like it too much. The ones that I have seen aren't cheap.

I liked it better when it was free...off the trees in my parents back yard. Damn that yellow tree fever or whatever that was that killed em!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
I always liked coconut water since a kid. But now it has become so accessible and easy to find anywhere you go. I am addicted to it, while I know overall it's is good for you, it still has a lot of sugar. I try to limit to drinking it once a week, but if I could I would replace it with my daily intake of water!

Anyone else addicted to coconut water?
I have never even heard of it, much less been adicted to it. I have had coconut milk which looks like water, but what is coconut water? OK, I am not guessing what we called coconut milk when I lived inFlorida as a kid is what everyone else calls coconut water..Thanks for my daily learning session...I need to be brought up on what is happening from time to time.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:33 AM

878 posts, read 2,736,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have never even heard of it, much less been adicted to it. I have had coconut milk which looks like water, but what is coconut water? OK, I am not guessing what we called coconut milk when I lived inFlorida as a kid is what everyone else calls coconut water..Thanks for my daily learning session...I need to be brought up on what is happening from time to time.
Sounds like what you had was actually coconut water as coconut milk is thick, white and milky.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,193 times
I drink coconut sparkling water - no sweeteners, no sodium, no calories

Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Coconut water is what comes directly out of a young coconut. It's not water clear, but a little cloudy. It's slightly sweet to the taste, and has several electrolytes in it, so it's a great drink on a hot day. Supermarkets carry either the wrapped white Thai coconuts, or the little brown Mexican coconuts that have had the outer husk removed for shipping. When you shake them you can hear the juice sloshing around inside.

Coconut milk and coconut cream are both processed foods made from dried coconut that has been soaked in water and then ground up in a blender. Formerly they were available only in cans, but coconut milk now is sold in a carton in the dairy case, next to the soy milk and almond milk.

Coconut water in a bottle has long been popular in Asian countries and is now catching on in the US. It's available in several forms... plain, with coconut jelly and a spoon, and flavored.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Coconut water is what comes directly out of a young coconut. It's not water clear, but a little cloudy. It's slightly sweet to the taste, and has several electrolytes in it, so it's a great drink on a hot day. Supermarkets carry either the wrapped white Thai coconuts, or the little brown Mexican coconuts that have had the outer husk removed for shipping. When you shake them you can hear the juice sloshing around inside.

Coconut milk and coconut cream are both processed foods made from dried coconut that has been soaked in water and then ground up in a blender. Formerly they were available only in cans, but coconut milk now is sold in a carton in the dairy case, next to the soy milk and almond milk.

Coconut water in a bottle has long been popular in Asian countries and is now catching on in the US. It's available in several forms... plain, with coconut jelly and a spoon, and flavored.
as a kid in Fl that is what we drank and yes, even those who lived there all their lives called it coconut milk: my how times do change... As for Almond milk, we have a few friends that do prefer it to reg milk. You know what, now that I think about it, I have purchased coconut milk in a can from our Asian market..My age is catching up with me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink