Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 08:00 PM

52,198 posts, read 52,629,348 times

Advertisements

We got lazy tonight and didn't cook dinner, so I told Mrs. Chow that we should order a Pie.

Big mistake.

I saw an add for Pizza hut advertising a pizza called the "edge" meaning there isn't a crust and it is thin.

I go to the website and customize my order.

The thing arrived and it was a piece of Moderator cut: xxxx .

20 bucks plus a tip for a piece of Moderator cut: xxxx .

It was dry, bland,not what I ordered.

I asked for extra pepperoni, extra cheese, this pile arrives dry as cardboard.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-25-2009 at 09:31 PM.. Reason: PG 13

Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,891,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
We got lazy tonight and didn't cook dinner, so I told Mrs. Chow that we should order a Pie.

Big mistake.

I saw an add for Pizza hut advertising a pizza called the "edge" meaning there isn't a crust and it is thin.

I go to the website and customize my order.

The thing arrived and it was a piece of shyt.

20 bucks plus a tip for a piece of shyt.

It was dry, bland,not what I ordered.

I asked for extra pepperoni, extra cheese, this pile arrives dry as cardboard.

Call 'em up Chow, and see what can be done to rectify the situation...since it seems to have been wrecked...or bring it back in and show it to them.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Absolutely! What Cricket said! That's a shame and too much money for martyrdom!!! lol

Old 07-26-2009, 04:37 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,079,457 times
Yeah, the Pizza Hut in our area sucks. There product has really gone downhill. I think they switched to frozen dough and that would help explain the blandcardboard-like pizza crust. We never order from there anymore.

The best thing you could've done is called them back and told them what you didn't like about your pizza (but don't be a total jerk about it to them!), and they'll offfer to either remake you a new one or give you some sort of credit towards your next order. Don't bother complaining after the fact (like calling them 3 days later); at that point there's nothing they'll do. I worked in the pizza industry a few years back for quite some time and this is pretty standard procedure anywhere.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:56 AM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
I'm trying to be shocked; trying to find the outrage....it's just not happening.

I mean, what did you expect?

"America's Favorite" pizza. That's their slogan, think about it. What do you have to do to become America's favorite? Appeal to the lowest common denominator. It's exactly like going to WalMart.

Know what I did Friday for dinner? Made my own pizzas.

3 cups of flour, salt, to taste. Put some yeast in a cup of warm water with a squirt of honey and stir. Wait 10 minutes then pour it in the flour. Mix it up, knead it for half an hour, until the dough develops a smooth skin. I divided it into 3 balls, tossed 'em with some olive oil just to coat so they wouldn't dry out, and left them on top of the oven where it's warm, because I was pre-heating it to 500.

While my dough was rising and oven pre-heating, I fried up a few strips of bacon. I cut some green pepper, mushrooms and red onion really thin. I like my toppings cut thin because they release water when they cook, big chunks leave puddles. I shredded a block of lowfat mozzarella. Sauce was a can of diced tomatoes hit with a stick blender.

That all took about 20 minutes. The dough hadn't quite risen enough, but I was hungry. Flattened the dough balls and just rolled 'em out to about 11". Mine got everything. Daughter just wanted bacon. Wife wanted light cheese, no red onion.

I use corn meal to keep them sliding on my pizza peel. I was using my brand new Cuisinart "brick" toaster oven, and I was anxious to see how it would perform. That's when I found out the pizza peel was too wide for the oven. Oops. Made a quick and dirty peel out of a piece of cardboard. Each pizza took about 10 minutes. I could have done it faster in my regular oven, but the Cuisinart I just got this week and really wanted to kick the tires.

Total time invested? Eh, call it an hour and a half. I could have done it in an hour in the regular oven.

Total cost? I'd be shocked if the ingredients ran over $10.

Wife said it was one of her favorites yet, and I make a lot of pizzas.

Is there anyone reading this that couldn't do the exact same thing? Sure it takes a little longer, and there's the cleanup - big deal, make it a family thing. The hardest part is kneading the dough - I don't have a stand mixer.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:46 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
It doesn't surprise me in the least that a chain pizza would be dreadful. I am so grateful to live in an area where we don't have to buy chain pizza. I just wouldn't do it. There are authentic pizza restaurants on nearly every street corner in my area that make their pizza fresh.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,539,444 times
There are very few chain restaurants I'll eat at anymore and the pizza joints are on the top of my list. The places here that offer really good pizza are family owned and they are few. I've only found one NY style pizza joint and they shut down.

Sorry, Chow-sito.

Old 07-26-2009, 03:56 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
Even in small town Western KY we have a couple real pizza joints. We have all the standard chain pizza joints as well and I have to truly say that Domino's and Pizza Hut have gone down the drain. I remember back in the 80's, there would be a waiting list to get a table in Pizza Hut on a saturday night. We went there a month or so ago and there was only one other couple in the entire restaurant. The P'Zone I ordered almost made me vomit it was so bad.

The best chain pizza (here anyway) has to be Papa John's...hand's down.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:00 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Feel your pain-as an East Coaster with great piza places to order from-here the choices are slim. Dominos to me-just give me cardboard w/sauce! We now do papa Murphy's pick up and bake, thin crust and it's not bad. We make up for it when we go back to NJ.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:18 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
yes call 911 !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink