Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 09:38 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Whats the deal?
It's freakin' delicious, as well as artistic. That's the deal. Where have you been the last couple of decades? Sushi isn't just popular NOW, it's been popular for a long time. I've been eating it for most of my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 AM

72,416 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It's freakin' delicious, as well as artistic. That's the deal. Where have you been the last couple of decades? Sushi isn't just popular NOW, it's been popular for a long time. I've been eating it for most of my life.
Me too! I eat them regularly.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I am about as far from being a Hipster as can be but Sushi ( even better Sashimi) is one of my favourite foods around. It tastes divine, is good for you and I am glad that it is finally hitting mainstream .

I agree there are plenty of stupid food "trends" , but it does not detract from the quality and superb taste of certain foods simply because some styles have hit the fashionable restaurants.

I could not care less about food "trends". It either tastes sublime or it does not. Whether it is home made beef stew or delicious, subtle and refined Sushi.

Maybe "hipsters" have just acquired a taste for what the Japanese have known since time immemorial to be both delicious and nutritious...

I would give up most foods before Sashmi and there is not a "hip" bone in my body apart from the one linked to my femur.....

Old 08-06-2009, 01:53 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,213 times
the only thing about sushi and sashimi i don't like is that it's usually pricy. a very good japanese meal would consist of the salad, soup and sushi/sashimi with rice, green tea etc. it just goes together well and rounds out the meal. it's satisfying and healthy. some places have better sushi than others. how well they season the rice, how perfectly it's cooked, the grade of fish, how fresh and thick the cut of fish also determines how good it is. i've had some pretty mediocre to forgettable sushi and just awesome sushi and sashimi.

i always wondered why some foods take off in the west and some don't. i would be surprised if korean food ever really takes off, it's so different i guess it's like in a different universe of it's own. all the different banchan and exotic dishes. it's probably too fishy or strong whereas sushi is fresh so there is not much of a fishy taste.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:00 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
I wouldn't consider myself a "hipster" but I will say sushi is my favorite food on Earth. I eat sushi a couple of times a week. Usually go to an "all you can eat" sushi bar. We have several of them in my area - very reasonably priced. I've pretty much eaten it since I first tried it in college - over 20 years ago. We didn't eat this growing up because my parents are afraid of anything that's not "American" food. To this day, my mother keeps ranting about how me and my husband and kids are going to get parasites, but look as us (all normal weight) and look at her (obese) - 'nuff said.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:46 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
What's the next thing "hipsters" are going to come along and spoil for the rest of us to enjoy without being labeled a "hipster"? If hipsters all start talking about eating shabu-shabu, are we all going to have to be ashamed to admit that we love it?

Old 08-06-2009, 03:49 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What's the next thing "hipsters" are going to come along and spoil for the rest of us to enjoy without being labeled a "hipster"? If hipsters all start talking about eating shabu-shabu, are we all going to have to be ashamed to admit that we love it?
My whole family (even my parents in their 80s) go to Little Tokyo in downtown Los Angeles or Pasadena and eat shabu-shabu. Yum, yum!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Sushi is not really about the fish. It is simply rice with vinegar. Sashimi is raw fish. It's possible to get Sushi made with anything. I had hot dog and hamburger sushi in Japan.
Words often alter in meaning when they move from language to language or culture to culture. Even between Britain and America: two countries separated by a common language.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
I consider myself an adventurous eater, but had been hesitant to try sushi. My very picky son had it and liked it, so I gave it a try....YUM!

Now some supermarkets are making it fresh and it is fairly cheap and easy to pick up so we have it more often.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:43 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
Sushi is even being served at AYCE buffets in Oklahoma. That is as far from trendy as one can get! I never knew it was expensive.

I have seen it and been around it, having grown up in the L.A. area, but have just recently tried it. There are so many variations, one never grows tired of it because you don't eat the same kind it seems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink