U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 04:13 AM

214 posts, read 377,672 times

Advertisements

Hipsters...the "in crowd"..the extroverts etc

I see people tweeting all the time things like:

"sushi yuuuuuuuuuuum" or "Eating SUSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!"

it goes on and on and on..sushi this sushi that.

Not only on Twitter but I see people talking about it all over the net.

When did Sushi become so popular and trendy? Whats the deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 04:31 AM

9,924 posts, read 8,912,225 times
I love sushi!

Of course now I'm going to have to give myself a makeover before I'm caught eating it again.

Nothing hip or trendy about me.

I just like good food and sushi is good!

Old 08-03-2009, 04:34 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,518,608 times
I'm pretty sure you'd have to point out a hipster to me. I don't know any. I'm the anti-hip.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:52 AM

34 posts, read 122,595 times
Sushi! yum! its been around forever, it didn't become popular or trendy lately. Its one of the more widely seen Asian restaurants in the US other than Chinese and Thai food. You tend to hear it more often because celebrities tend to visit Sushi restaurants more often compare to other Asian eateries. You hear it on the news all the time ...so and so went to Nobu .... so and so famous person open Japanese restaurant.

Japanese restaurant is probably the only Asian food that can command such high prices for each meal.

People like to talk about it because it seems more exotic, eating raw fish / squid / etc. I think it starts to create a buzz especially among people who has never tried raw fish before and finds it surprisingly good. So they like to rave and kind of show off that they ate raw fish, especially among friends who think its disgusting!

Over the past 10 years, Anime (Japanese comic / cartoon) became very popular and has generated a cult following, many of these people develop an interest in Japanese culture and food.

i like good food too! Sushi is good! Japanese food is one of the most healthiest food in the world! That explains why they have the longest life expectancy.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:58 AM

214 posts, read 377,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelee324 View Post
Sushi! yum! its been around forever, it didn't become popular or trendy lately. Its one of the more widely seen Asian restaurants in the US other than Chinese and Thai food. You tend to hear it more often because celebrities tend to visit Sushi restaurants more often compare to other Asian eateries. You hear it on the news all the time ...so and so went to Nobu .... so and so famous person open Japanese restaurant.

Japanese restaurant is probably the only Asian food that can command such high prices for each meal.

People like to talk about it because it seems more exotic, eating raw fish / squid / etc. I think it starts to create a buzz especially among people who has never tried raw fish before and finds it surprisingly good. So they like to rave and kind of show off that they ate raw fish, especially among friends who think its disgusting!

Over the past 10 years, Anime (Japanese comic / cartoon) became very popular and has generated a cult following, many of these people develop an interest in Japanese culture and food.

i like good food too! Sushi is good! Japanese food is one of the most healthiest food in the world! That explains why they have the longest life expectancy.
Good post. I think you made some good points.

I like Japanese and Chinese food..never tried Sushi though.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 AM

16,585 posts, read 20,518,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelee324 View Post
Sushi! yum! its been around forever, it didn't become popular or trendy lately.
So true. Here's a pic from 1942 taken in Downtown Los Angeles.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:17 AM

3,225 posts, read 4,197,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison Winter View Post
Hipsters...the "in crowd"..the extroverts etc

I see people tweeting all the time things like:

"sushi yuuuuuuuuuuum" or "Eating SUSHI!!!!!!!!!!!!"

it goes on and on and on..sushi this sushi that.

Not only on Twitter but I see people talking about it all over the net.

When did Sushi become so popular and trendy? Whats the deal?
I'll eat sushi maybe once every two years or so, and every time I do it's like "Oh yeah, that's why I don't eat sushi. This s*** is AWFUL and $60 later I'm still hungry". But otherwise, I do love Asian food.

I wonder how many people say they like sushi to 'look cool and hip' but have in actuality never tried it?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:00 PM

1,301 posts, read 1,693,686 times
Sushi is popular and trendy? It's always just been there like any other ethnic cuisine, amongst the Chinese joints and Mexican joints. I don't see why people can't enjoy food without it being stigmatized.

The number of fast food sushi joints popping up and sushi stations appearing in grocery stores seems to just point out that it's become a part of everyday American food culture.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,400,989 times
Sushi has been "hip" for quite some time, if I were to guess, I would say it may attract a certain types of people for a number of reasons, there's a lot to learn about it, it can be expensive, there are eating and preperation rituals, you can eat it at upscale places or hole in the walls, it can be very simple or very exotic...

Of course, you don't need a reason to eat it, it can be very good!

Myself, I dont really care for any of the fish sushi/sashimi except eel and clam, but I love anything with seafood eggs (urchin, salmon, whatever..)

Old 08-03-2009, 02:57 PM

5,004 posts, read 5,271,994 times
I've been eating sushi since the early 80's. And where I go eat sushi, all ages and all races eat it. So it's not just a hipster thing. Don't think of it that way. Fish is supposed to help depression and supply omega 3's.

I love the salmon eggs, the sea urchin, the eel, mackerel, tuna, yellowtail, soft-shell crab, scallops, garlic-baked oysters. It's the octopus and clam that I don't care for and never did. It's like eating rubber to me. Too much chewing IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink